• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a barrel??

Deltagunner00

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2011
Central Indiana
Ok, I have everything where I want it with my Stevens 200 in 308. Bell and Carlson A2, Rifle Basix, Harris Bipod, and ok glass for me right now. Now I need a barrel. I want a Varmint contour. I don't get to shoot as much as I would like to and only have access of around 300 yards for now. I have been looking at low end ER Shaw and also looking at Criterion which would be about double the price.

I don't want to end up regretting it if I go with the Shaw, but, since I do not shoot as much as I would like I dont know about spending double for the Criterion. What would you guys recommend?

Re: Need a barrel??

You will not be disappointed in the Criterion. They are made by Kreiger, so you are getting a well known product with well known customer service. Have only ever had one problem on a Kreiger barrel (slightly rough chamber), they paid shipping both ways and fixed the problem. Best barrel I have (on an AR).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you wanting to do this on the cheap? What's your budget? </div></div>

I would be willing to spend the money on the Criterion just to not end up regretting the Shaw purchase. By the time I get the action wrench, barrel nut wrench, recoil lug and go gauge I am thinking it would add up to around $420 for the CBI barrel.

i bought an E.R. Shaw barrel and for the money so far they have everyone beat. for what i paid for it it has an extremely smooth bore and well the bottom picture is a 5 shot group at 100 yards that is less than .3 but more than .260. i also have 3 more with similar groups and i have a witness to boot. so that first group was not a fluke it has shot many since. my friend my witness was so impressed he ordered a barrel just like mine so i put him one together also and lo and behold it shoots just like mine. i guess you could say i like what i got. cant wait for the 14th to ring it out at thunder valley.

P9084690.jpg

10-15-201165CM5shots-1.jpg

I am thinking about getting the Shaw threaded barrel from Midway in Varmint contour. Anyone know what size thread protector i would need? I cant find just a Varmint thread protector size.

Don't think they sell thread protectors of various sizes. I think it is 1 size fits all.
If they have more than one size, your OD should be aound .850 or so.

ER Shaw barrels are good barrels. They may not be "match grade" like some of the top end barrels, but they are certainly better than almost all factory tubes.

You can also check Lothar-Walther, they make an excellent product that is finely finished.

Also, check a Shilen for a Cro-Moly (carbon steel) barrel. They make drop ins for the Savage that are very reasonable.

I installed one of the Shaw Savage replacement heavy magnum contour barrels chambered in 6.5x55 Swede on a Stevens 200 last November. So far, nothing to brag about when it comes to accuracy with my Shaw, but have no complaints about it. I'm still experimenting with my reloads and embarrassingly to admit, I just discovered my scope mount screws had loosened. LOL, may explain why I'd sometimes cloverleaf two 100 yard shots and then have one 3/4" or more away.

If you do decide to buy a Shaw barrel, be aware I ordered mine directly from Shaw and it took 20 weeks to get the barrel. Shaw had told me 12-16 weeks for delivery when I placed the order back in May. Ordering one from some one like Midway, who has them in stock to ship, certainly would be quicker.

Check over at savage shooters they have classified adds where people are always selling savage/stevens take offs for cheap.