• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Need a full size .40 S&W which one Springfield XDM.M&P or a Glock

Iron Worker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2005
Nevada
Looking on GunBroker I can get either for under $600 . It will be for Occasional CCW but mostly for shooting paper and any pistol matches my local gun club has. Which has best trigger ? I currently own a Sig Sauer p220 in 45 and a Walter PPS in .40 S&W.

I've had all 3 and IMO M&P hands down. The M&P is the most comfortable and has the best trigger. Mine is a M&P C.O.R.E with the 5" barrel.. Love it!

I went with the Springfield XDm 5.25. Its a bit more expensive (~$700), but it seems like the best option for an out of the box competition pistol. And comes with some nice accessories as well. Haven't picked it up yet, so I can't comment on shooting it yet.

Might be a dumb question but have you played with all three and felt overall ergonomics? I like the design of the M&P but personally don't shoot them well. The XD for me feels too weird(don't know if it's grip angle or what)and I don't shoot them consistently. The Glock may not have the best trigger but I shoot them more consistent and naturally better than the other two.

Again that's just me which is why I ask the question.

I was in same boat a couple years ago. I was either going with the m&p or a glock 17. After I had a chance to play with both I went with the m&p. Been happy ever since.

There are is a slough of aftermarket parts available for the Glocks. I sold my XD for a gen 4 glock and couldn't be happier. It feels better and I shoot it better than I ever did with the xd. I haven't handled a M & P so I can't comment there. I would go with the Glock over the XDm though.

The processes utilized today to design, machine and assemble firearms leaves one weakness.... you as the end user. What fits your hand, what points naturally and what features you like is subjective. It's a question you need to answer with time behind each applicable item your interested in.

That being said, I'll only shoot Glocks. The low bore axis/sight alignment allows me to get up on the gun and drive it. Their simple, robust, tons of aftermarket items (some good, some bad).

I was a 1911 guy (and still appreciate the design) but now glock holds that special spot in my heart. I've got enough time behind them that it's instinctive (sight alignment, follow up shot, etc) which can all be credited to a lot of dry fire drills ;)

Best of luck with your decision...

Last edited:
I was a 1911 guy (and still appreciate the design) but now the glock holds that special spot in my heart.

I can recommend a couple cardiologists. I don't know that they could actually help with that, but I can recommend them.

If your going to reload I'd stay far away from the glock in 40 unless your going to do a kkm or other aftermarket barrel. The m&p of the 3 mentioned keeps the barrel closest to your hand and with the beavertail let's you really grip high on it giving the lowest muzzle flip of the 3. That's a big advantage when running a snappy 40. The xd in 40 is probably the worst with how high the barrel sits in comparison to your hand. In 9mm the guns are pretty on par but in 40 that m&p has significant recoil advantages. If you don't reload then the glock 22or35 would be excellent.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Any reason you dont want to stay with what you know and get a Sig 226 in .40? Your manual of arms would be that which you already know from using your 220. Granted its kind of big for CCW.

Ive been looking at the 220 recently (was issued a 226 for a time) and kind of thinking I miss Sig just a little.

I can recommend a couple cardiologists. I don't know that they could actually help with that, but I can recommend them.

Ironically, my wife was a RN at a heart hospital (and now she's a NP), and she even knows I'm hopeless.

There's no saving me.... my heart has blackend...

If you're biggest concern is the trigger I think you need to ask yourself how much you plan to modify it or leave it stock.

I've owned all three. The trigger in the XDM 5.25 and M&P (not updated trigger) were both pretty horrible. I've got an APEX replacement trigger kit in my M&P and it's great. I know there are some aftermarket companies for the XD also but don't have any experience with them. For me, if I didn't plan on modifying the trigger very much and it was a big concern I'd go with Glock. It's not anything like a 1911 but very shootable with simple mods. I like the M&P ergonomics the best but Glock is growing on me the more I shoot it.

Having shot the Glocks and M&Ps in 9 and .40 extensively, I switched from G to S&W a few years ago. For competition use, the metal mags are a benefit as they are easier to fix if they go out of spec and easier to clean. The trigger on the M&P can be made better (all safeties engaged) than the Glock by a good bit. My M&Ps are every bit as reliable, if not more so, than my Glocks were. I had a lot invested in the Glock in experience, spare parts and a small fleet of them, so it did use some funds to switch over, but I am very glad that I did.

The XD series never fit well for me, but their trigger too can be made a bit better than a Glock. Probably equivalent to the Glock, but with metal magazines, is the new FNS from FNH. Having tested them all, worked on them all, I would put the Glocks in 4th place, specific personal ergonomic aside. Furthermore, I prefer the G3 Glocks to the G4 Glocks. They are still a very good platform, but as sometimes happens, 3rd or 4th to the design board gets the advantages of the R&D and design of the precursors.

I have the Springfield XDM 4.5" .40 with the silver slide. It's been an amazing pistol. More accurate than any other of my buddys' semi's except my dad's Colt Gold Cup National Match which has a ton of work done to it and overall cost was probably 3 times as much.

My Springy has over 2,000 rounds through it. I have never cleaned it, it has never FTF or Jammed. It has fallen off the 4 wheeler numerous times and goes where I go, I don't treat it nicely and it hasn't failed me yet. I recommend this pistol to anyone looking.

If your going to reload I'd stay far away from the glock in 40 unless your going to do a kkm or other aftermarket barrel.

Why? The infamous Glock brass bulge? Not a problem with newer Glocks and standard sizing dies take any small amount right out. I shoot the same brass through my Glock 35 and STI .40 and only run them through a standard Hornady sizing die. No issues.

Glock or M&P would be my choices. Been shooting Glocks so long I really have a good feel for them. I change the sights out and work the trigger a little and they run. A 22 would be the best choice if you plan on carrying it a lot and comps but the 35 would be a better choice for mostly comps.

.... Which has best trigger ? ....

Given that your question is rather narrow I would ask if you are trying to get a consensus answer. If thats the case it might be tough so let me say in my opinion, by a small margin, its the XD.

If the real question is which one shoots better then I would go shoot them all. To pick up them up and hold them I would vote for the Glock and Smith. For trigger alone I would vote for XD and smith.

If you are looking to compete then shot placement, I suspect, would be key. If thats the case then my preference shifted from Glock to SW M&P quickly and I would say that the XD is slowly over taking the Glock. I just shoot better with the M&P's

Good one.....I equally respect Glock haters also. I've owned many pistols....only own three Glocks now.

That being said, I'll only shoot Glocks. The low bore axis/sight alignment allows me to get up on the gun and drive it. Their simple, robust, tons of aftermarket items (some good, some bad).

I was a 1911 guy (and still appreciate the design) but now glock holds that special spot in my heart. I've got enough time behind them that it's instinctive (sight alignment, follow up shot, etc) which can all be credited to a lot of dry fire drills ;)

Agreed! Although I still love a fine 1911

If your going to reload I'd stay far away from the glock in 40 unless your going to do a kkm or other aftermarket barrel.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I'm far from being a Glock lover, I only carry the Glock 22 and 27 because they are what I'm allowed to cary on duty. However, that's absolute BS about needing a special barrel for use with reloads. I've dumped thousands of reloads in 40 down the tubes of my Glocks and that of other officers. If you use jacketed or plated bullets you are fine. Hard cast bullets, yes, you definitely should be careful. I can promise you that those who shoot competitions using stock barrels are running reloads trouble free as well.

I've always liked glocks but my M&P winds up getting shot more, the ergo's are better and after putting the APEX kit in it the trigger is great.

I dont care for the XD, especially in .40, bore axis is too high, tends to have more muzzle flip compared to the others.

I have owned the M&P, XDm, Glock, and 226 all in 40 and can definitely say that you cannot go wrong with any of them so long as you can comfortably shoot them well. My advice is to go out and shoot them all in 40 to make your choice. You asked for opinions on the major players, so here are mine as I've got 1k or more rounds of 40 through each of these particular pistols.

I loved the M&P ergos, but hated the trigger and got rid of it after about 1k rounds. I can't modify triggers so it just would not do the chore.

I love the XD pistols, especially in the XDm flavor. I shoot them the best out of the group and really liked the trigger.

I've come to like the Glock, which pains me to say as I've had to eat my own words. I was wrong about this gun. For years all I did was bitch about the Glock, but for whatever reason I now have 3 of them (2 of which I carry for work daily). To me the trigger has always felt like on on/off switch as they just seem gritty, even with thousands of rounds through them. That being said, I guess through thousands of personal and department provided rounds I've grown accustomed to it and no longer fault it for the trigger. I've grown to trust the Glock as they simply shoot. They do it cheaply, reliably, and very accurately.

Any reason you dont want to stay with what you know and get a Sig 226 in .40? Your manual of arms would be that which you already know from using your 220. Granted its kind of big for CCW.

Ive been looking at the 220 recently (was issued a 226 for a time) and kind of thinking I miss Sig just a little.
I had a P226 for 20+ years its was a great gun. I sold to get a S&W XVR in 460 Magnum. Huge mistake that gun was very accurate but it kicked so hard and 1 shot with out muffs and I think it could give you permanent hear damage. Its history and now I want a new .40 just not sure which.

I was very impressed with the G35 gen4 I had for awhile. I never was a fan of .40 until that pistol.

Cabelas here in Reno is expensive over $600 bucks for S&W M&P .40cal 4.5" bbl . Sportsmens Warehouse at the same one for $ 499.00. Going to gun show tomorrow ,I sure do like the M&P over the others accept the HK P30 in .40 . It was a perfect fit ,but it was $400+ bucks more.

Last edited:
Had a G35 but could never really get comfortable with it. I do usually prefer Glock since I do own a 19, 27, 23, 29, 20, and a few other. They are easy to use and maintain. That being said, I just purchased a FNS 9mm. The ergos of the FNS have the Glock beat hands down. Have to go pick up the FNS 40 longslide at my FFL. Even with smaller hands the FN grips fit my hands well and the controls are within easy reach. Go somewhere if possible and check out the FN models. Tried the Springfield model but I had issues with the grip safety when wearing gloves. I was not able to fully depress it all of the time and was having times where I had to fully adjust my grip to be able to pull the trigger. The SA was a nice firearm but just did not work for me.

Last edited: