• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Need a game camera

fastford

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 10, 2008
    Central, Texas
    I know it's probably been hashed out but, I was lazy and didn't search! Lol.....

Opinions on which game cam you guys think is the best. Don't want junk...

Thanks!

Re: Need a game camera

Try http://www.chasingame.com/ for comprehensive reviews of most of what is available out there. I have 4 Buckeye Cams, Pricey but the fastest (or used to be) trigger time in the business. If it is in camera range you'll have a picture.

I like these.. run them for over a year on one set of batteries. takes great pics and good video. have 4 of them that I run on bear baits. Work great !

<span style="color: #3366FF">Bushnell 8.0-Megapixel Bone Collector Trophy Cam - Realtree AP</span>

Sendero, thanks for that on the bushy cams. I was wondering how they worked out.

Fastford, i've had bad luck with Leaf River & Moultrie. I've got a Cuddeback that's done very well the last two years.

Good Luck with it!,
    Breeze

these are set at lower pixel for more images on card....

PICT0036.JPG

PICT00541.JPG

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bear looking at next meal ?</span>

bear_and_bunny.JPG

<span style="font-weight: bold">just before dark...</span>

8-22_2011_bear.jpg

have a Stealth Rogue cam too... eats the C batteries in a few weeks. Good pics though, expensive to run and dead batteries miss the action. Use it as a backup now.

pict0237.jpg

pict01962.jpg

Checkout this camera www.reconyx.com, you stated you don't want junk. These are speedy, but you get top of the line IMO. I purchased 4 Wildview and only one out of four worked, pure crap!

The Reconynx is worth considering. I purchased two over a year ago....zero problems with them.

I bought one of these last year. It has taken 6500 images and the 8 energizer lithium batteries are still showing a full charge. I am very impressed with how clear the images are.

I have had nothing but bad luck with Steathcam products and their parent company GSM customer service sucks the two hole.

I've had great luck with Moultrie and Bushnell on the low end and the RyconX and Cuddie's are great for a little more money.

I've used Wildview, Moultrie, and Cuddieback.

I would recommend Moultrie or Cuddieback as far as quality of pictures taken. Although the old wildview I have takes crappy pictures, it has held up well for over 5 seasons of hard use.

www.trailcampro.com has alot of good info/reviews on trail cams. based off the info that I got from this site I decided to order the bushnell trophy cam, so I'm glad to hear more positive things about this cam here as well. i can't wait to get mine out in the woods.

A friend of mine and my dad both picked up the Stealth Cam Archer's Choice model cameras at the beginning of this season. When checking the pictures on my friends a week or so later, we noticed there was a red filter inside the camera lens housing, that had come loose and was just floating around below the lens. We knew that the camera hadn't been roughed up in any way and immediately went to check out my dad's, which we had just put out the day before. Sure enough... the same filter was detached in his as well.

The filter must have something to do with the IR, but the pictures don't seem to be negatively affected by it not covering the camera lens. Due to the design of the unit, there's really no way to get in there and fix it. About the only thing we could do was turn the unit upside down and shake it until it fell in place and then gently flip it back over and remount it. Still, the filter will fall back out of position over time.

Both cameras were bought from the same store, about a week apart and I've found other accounts of this same problem on the interwebs, so apparently it is a design/assembly flaw of sorts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ProImaging</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have the one from moultrie with the cellular service. it emails you everytime it takes a picture and you can see the images online. very cool. </div></div>

how much does the service cost per month?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ProImaging</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have the one from moultrie with the cellular service. it emails you everytime it takes a picture and you can see the images online. very cool. </div></div>
    I have a service very much like that from SmartScouter, that will send a picture to my PC/iphone in real time. So i can be in a tower blind and see what is going on at another bait site, works great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sl78928</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ProImaging</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have the one from moultrie with the cellular service. it emails you everytime it takes a picture and you can see the images online. very cool. </div></div>

how much does the service cost per month? </div></div>
    it was like 39 buck for 3 months, i may extend it another 3 months since i got it so late. been getting some good pics of bucks on a stand and want to try out a few more places and see whats walking around.

Bushnell Trophy Cam (466 Model)
    -Up to 8 Mega Pixels
    -HD Video
    -Audio
    -Blackflash technology which lessons the chance of spooking game at night since they can't see the IR flash going off.

If you do decide to go this route make sure you stick with the 466 and don't opt for the 467. The 467 has issues with the PIR (passive infrared sensor) and the audio on it is crap.

+1 For the Chasing Game site. Its like Snipers Hide but solely for game cameras

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boudin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A friend of mine and my dad both picked up the Stealth Cam Archer's Choice model cameras at the beginning of this season. When checking the pictures on my friends a week or so later, we noticed there was a red filter inside the camera lens housing, that had come loose and was just floating around below the lens. We knew that the camera hadn't been roughed up in any way and immediately went to check out my dad's, which we had just put out the day before. Sure enough... the same filter was detached in his as well.

The filter must have something to do with the IR, but the pictures don't seem to be negatively affected by it not covering the camera lens. Due to the design of the unit, there's really no way to get in there and fix it. About the only thing we could do was turn the unit upside down and shake it until it fell in place and then gently flip it back over and remount it. Still, the filter will fall back out of position over time.

Both cameras were bought from the same store, about a week apart and I've found other accounts of this same problem on the interwebs, so apparently it is a design/assembly flaw of sorts. </div></div>
    I just spoke with someone at Stealth Cam and they informed me that the infrared filter is supposed to be this way and, although it looks like it's just floating around in the housing, it actually moves into place when the picture is taken. With that concern alleviated, I can confidently recommend the Archer's Choice units. They have served us very well.

I know NOT to get a Primos Truth Cam! bbear uses cuddieback and always gets great clear images and im sure it doesn't miss anything!