• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing need a good flintlock kit

buckskin52

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2009
western PA
I am looking to buy a kentucky long rifle kit. Not interested in a plains gun or anything else. Looking for the best kit available. I currently shoot a dixie poor boy, I love the gun but now I would like to build one, that I will have for a long time to come. Looking for a hunting gun not a show piece, but good looks help. Thanks.

Re: need a good flintlock kit

Check Track of the Wolf and Log Cabin Shop. Both offer basic kits and you can customize the components. Good quality like L&R locks and triggers and such.
One of these days a swamped barrel fullstock flint Hawken pattern rifle is on the bucket list.

Track of the wolf has some good stuff for sale. Are you planning on making your own or buying one already done up? I've made a couple (an Isaic Hanes, A Beck and I'm working a Schuler/buck's County now). If you are going to make your own visit Jim Chambers web site, I think it is flintlocks.com. Or Google search for him. The best kits in the business bar none. Personally I didn't like the track of the wolf kit I did (a Becks). The hardware wasn't quite right for the period I was doing and the precarved stock was flat out wrong. I had to do a few modifications to make it work. The site Americanlongrifle.org is made up of the absolute best longrifle gunsmiths in the world. Go to the forum there and read read read. You'll learn a ton. PM me if you'd like with more questions.
-Chad

Thanks for the input. I was leaning towards the jim chambers kit. I did a some reading on the track of the wolf and that is in the running also. I am looking to build from a kit, Accuracy is the most important thing. Not to say cost is no object but i buy once cry once. Thank you for your input.

Having built one of each of those kits (chambers and track of the wolf), I'd highly recommend the chambers. But remember just because it's a pre-carved doesn't mean that you won't have a ton of work to do. You'll still need to inlet all the parts and do the final shaping and carving and such. Pre-carved means it has the basic shape down and the inlet is just about done. You'll have to finish it up. I spent about 100 hours on my first just finishing it up, then another 40 hours or so carving it. But it was some of the most rewarding time I've ever spent after I hunted with that weapon. It sits on my mantle in a place of honor.
-chad