• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a gun safe. suggestions please

Smokerroller

Si vic pacem, Para bellum
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
Sheridan, WY
I need a gun safe. I want something with a capacity of around 30-40. I needs to be a strong safe, not any folded sheet metal junk. Also good fire proofing, preferably not moisture releasing sheetrock. Other than that i am open to most features. Educate me. Thanks.

A $1,500-$3,000 safe is no better than a simple locker except they offer a little fire protection (minutes). We've seen time and time again were thieves simply cut the side of the safe out and gain access that way and within seconds. I've posted several videos on it in the past. Without re-typing everything, the take away point is that unless you're willing to spend $4K+ you really no better off than if you had simply bought a gun locker. Again, that is based on no consideration for fire protection and in that realm you're still only gaining a few minutes anyway and you have to pay a lot more for good fire protection but you can get good fire protection and still have a weak safe (which is what you'll get in a $1,500-$3,000safe) or you can get into the $4K+ range and get both.

A $1,500-$3,000 safe is no better than a simple locker except they offer a little fire protection (minutes). We've seen time and time again were thieves simply cut the side of the safe out and gain access that way and within seconds. I've posted several videos on it in the past. Without re-typing everything, the take away point is that unless you're willing to spend $4K+ you really no better off than if you had simply bought a gun locker. Again, that is based on no consideration for fire protection and in that realm you're still only gaining a few minutes anyway and you have to pay a lot more for good fire protection but you can get good fire protection and still have a weak safe (which is what you'll get in a $1,500-$3,000safe) or you can get into the $4K+ range and get both.

Unless you buy used. Used tool rated safes can be had for under $1000. Watch auctions and businesses that have gone out of business. Also call locksmiths and see if they have any.

You never know where you might find a good used safe. I've moved a couple from offices for free. I also picked up an old bank vault from a jewelry store for $750. I also missed an old "tamper rated" safe that was in a warehouse, somebody got it a couple of days before me.

I do real estate appraisals and when doing a house that is a sale, a lot of the time if there is a gun safe in the house it is for sale. They don't want to mess with moving it. That said, I have never see a high priced one that is not getting moved. Might not hurt to check with some realtors to see if they know of one for sale.

Make a two line graph.

On one axis show money to spend.

On the second axis show level of protection desired. Add a third line if you want to differentiate between fire protection and security.

Where the lines cross is probably the safe you can be most happy living with.

You are going to get a lot of advice that the Fuhrer Bunker is the only thing capable of stopping theft and these people are absolutely right. As for fire protection I think most consumer safes will fail. Your guns wont burn but gases will enter and the corrosive atmosphere is going to do awful things to your guns.

The cost of a "real safe" was outside my budget. I went with a Heritage Safe. They were great to deal with concerning scheduling delivery. It is more than capable of keeping my kids honest which was my greatest concern. It probably has drywall interior but I have not had any rust issues (Boston area) in my safe.

Regards your desire to hold 30-40 guns.

Mine is a hybrid size 43x66. The rifle area was rated at something like 30 plus guns. I have 7 rifles in my safe and they are tight. Granted I store my rifles bore down and it does take up space but there was no way I would get anywhere close to rated capacity without being a douche storing my rifles.

The rated capacity is not completely true for all safes for all types of guns. Strait bold Mausers will eat up a bunch of space, as well as anything with a scope. On the flip side I had a 16 rifle safe filled with 20+ Enfields. I did this by putting some muzzle up, and some muzzle down and playing a tetras game inside the safe. I also have a 24 rifle safe that I can only get about 15 rifles in.

Thanks guys keep the info coming. I am a fabricator so I might build the skin and order a vault door for it. A while ago I looked at Brown Safes and liked them at the time. I would much rather get a 30p1, AI AT... etc but my wife says I need to get a safe. Keep the info coming and post any links to good articles. Thanks.

DING.

Insurance is the best gun safe. Unless you are dropping money for a TL15/30x6 rated safe, you are just buying a heavy organizer. I can cut through any of them in less than 5-10 minutes with an angle grinder and/or digging bar.

If you have a good size collection, built a room or closet. Much more economical and much more space. I am also a big fan of the modular safes, they can also be moved easily and have enough protection to stop a screwdriver attack or smash n grab.

Insurance should be your prioroty. I keep half my stuff laying out. IDGAF if they get stollen, beacuse I will get brand new ones onces the check comes in a week later. In fact, I lost a couple in an apartment fire a few months ago. Had cash in my account in less than two weeks and guns were replaced in less than 20 days from loss.

Get what you can afford. Any safe can be broke into it's just a matter of time. With that being said most good safes will stop the bad guy on the first break in it's the second time when they come back that they will be prepared. I went with an American Security safe with the hinges on the inside and I try very hard to load my truck for the range while no one is looking.

Thanks guys keep the info coming. I am a fabricator so I might build the skin and order a vault door for it. A while ago I looked at Brown Safes and liked them at the time. I would much rather get a 30p1, AI AT... etc but my wife says I need to get a safe. Keep the info coming and post any links to good articles. Thanks.

Buy a cheap locker or bargain bin safe from costo for 600 then. Its not like she is going to know the difference. Something that will keep her happy and you can spend the difference on actual guns.