• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing need a gunsmith to bushing a firing pin hole on a Accuracy International, suggestions?

Has anyone 1st hand tested the hardness of AI bolts ? If its in the low 50's RC "C" scale it should cut well with carbide.
I cant imagine the bolt being much over 50.

If its in the low 50's it should be a simple job.

Hi All,

Me the OP here. Thanks for all the input to date. I spoke with George Gardner in person at a match and he said he can do the job. Subsequent to my discussion with George, I heard that AI is redesigning the bolt and a retrofit will be available. However, there is no timeline.

Meanwhile, I've switched to an RBros rifle build on a Defiance action in 6.5x47. I'm no longer in a hurry to fix my AIAW. It will be a safe queen until AI sorts this out.

Any update on the "retrofit" item from AI?

Will it be a typically whopping AI price and then only if the rifle is returned to them??

TRG in 260 might be a better option!

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-CDJKLp7BsI" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

How its done,.....Greg showing that a solution is easy!

Last edited:
Sorry to bring back a necro thread. Back in 2015 I purchased a complete replacement bolt before AI released their small firing pin version. Who still does this bushing service? I reached out to LRI and hoping I can get this done. I'm was getting pierced primers every once in while with my 6.5x47Lapua rounds.

We literally do hundreds of these a year. Follow the link and it'll walk you through the entire process.

Your in good hands.

C.

We literally do hundreds of these a year. Follow the link and it'll walk you through the entire process.

Your in good hands.

C.

Thanks Chad! I sent the shop an email and haven't heard back. I'll try calling again, but I'll place the order so you know I'm serious.

Reactions: aprocast and LRI
I was having issues with pierced primers with factory Lapua ammo too...I just got my bolt back from SG Precision and everything seems to be working well now.

Thanks Chad! I sent the shop an email and haven't heard back. I'll try calling again, but I'll place the order so you know I'm serious.

I'll confess that as of late my email chores have lagged. What I'm about to say has more or less already gone public. I'll fill in some gaps and hopefully squash any rumors.

1st week of July. I begin auditions for the next Exorcist movie as I started projectile vomiting like I'm trying to summon the devil.

4th of July I go see the doc after developing what I thought was a kidney stone. (yay, explains the vomit shit right?) -not so much.

6th of July I'm life-flighted to Denver with a Renal artery thrombosis. That's doc talk for blood clot. Get loaded up on some drugs, the clot dissolves, and a few days later I'm cut loose.

Get home, feel like a smashed asshole, and discover that I have a reaction to blood thinners. I piss blood really well on that shit, causes me kidney pain, and makes me generally feel like crap. Told to docs to suck it, I'm not taking it anymore and they need to figure it out. That's being handled now.

FWIW, I've felt great the last 3 days. Age/mileage has its bumps. No worries. Just a little delay in stuff this month as my rock star wife (I am so lucky to have Kalli in my life) has had a full plate dealing with my bullshit and running stuff here at LRI at the same time. We're back on track now though.

I'll start chewing on emails soon as I get a couple of machines set up for the guys.

I went through the "[email protected]" email all the way back to the 1st of this month. The only reference to a striker bushing I found was from a gent in Texas with an Impact action.

I spoke to a gent on the phone today twice regarding the same subjet. Was that you by chance?

Last edited:
Chad I hope you are well now, you are one of the good ones. Any work you guys did for me was top notch!

Reactions: LRI
not a new issue, just a random one, happens with all 3 guns..
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-reloading/141446-ai-ax260-pierced-primer.html

https://www.google.com/#q=ai+ae+aw+ax+pierced+primers&safe=off

To call it piercing is somewhat misleading because the assumption may be that the firing pin is doing the piercing. What is actually happening is that the primer cup is being pressured into the firing pin hole after ignition and the primer cup material only has so much stretch before the plug breaks off.
The only AI I've ever owned (AE, AEmk2, 2x AW, AT) that cratered primers was an AE with a very light firing pin spring. Rifle hadn't seen much use, but it was noticeably easier to open the bolt and cock the action. It too would 'pierce' on some loads and primers and was actually the primer cup flowing so much it sheared off. Normal loads, including factory FGMM, would crater like they were over pressure. Rifle always went bang and I finally discovered the spring weight when I bought my second AE new.

I ended up using different, harder, primers like Wolf and Tula instead of CCI and the problem went away.

My body is messed up..(paraphrased)
Life moved pretty quickly. If you don't slow down once in a while, you might miss it.
-ferris Beuler.

As much as we love work, and enjoy working on things, I have also learnt the hard way. God, family, work. In that order. Maintain perspective. If you have a customer who gets pissy about you taking a Sunday off, or knocking off an hour early Friday to take your wife and family out to dinner, then they are not a good customer. (Unless you have missed several deadlines and delayed the job, then you suck at business).

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex