• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need a Gunsmith

Re: Need a Gunsmith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nevada Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for a good Gunsmith in Las Vegas,Nevada to thread the end of my FN SPR barrel,anyone know who to go too? </div></div>

Try Accuracy Gun Shop over on Boulder Hwy and Tropicana, there is a pretty good smith there!

You can try Matt Babb at Long Mountain Outfitters. Tim Arnold with Velocity Plus (use at own risk). Tim has never touched any of my rifles, I've had Matt Babb do some work and I was very happy with it.

Never tried CCS or Accuracy.

I wouldn't let CCS work on a rubberband gun, much less another of my valuable firearms. That being said, While there are a few here i haven't used, im not going to spend money and frustration trying to figure out if those ones are worth a damn when I haven't heard anything stellar about them. Personally I have had no good experiences with what the valley has to offer, use a reputable smith in another city. You'll have to pay to ship it, but that's the cost of living in Vegas.

Up north we are short on good 'smiths, too. I had good luck with a guy who is too busy now, so I tried a local gun shop that advertised gunsmith services. The shop charged $85, $25 more than the previous 'smith, because the bore wasn't concentric. My first shot hit the first baffle and dinged the rest all the way out. The shop looked it over and said nothing was wrong with what they did, so I sent it to YHM, who found the threading hugely out of spec (one guy could see the problem from 15' away). Long story short, after over 3 months I finally have my rifle and can back, the can is rebuilt, and I ended up only paying the original $85. YHM would have done it, and done it right, for $60, but you'll have to pay shipping ($48 for me to get it there).

In other words, I'd rather ship it somewhere and get it right than go local and have another wreck like that. Rifles with good factory threading always catch my eye now!

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyrodder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Up north we are short on good 'smiths, too. I had good luck with a guy who is too busy now, so I tried a local gun shop that advertised gunsmith services. The shop charged $85, $25 more than the previous 'smith, because the bore wasn't concentric. My first shot hit the first baffle and dinged the rest all the way out. The shop looked it over and said nothing was wrong with what they did, so I sent it to YHM, who found the threading hugely out of spec (one guy could see the problem from 15' away). Long story short, after over 3 months I finally have my rifle and can back, the can is rebuilt, and I ended up only paying the original $85. YHM would have done it, and done it right, for $60, but you'll have to pay shipping ($48 for me to get it there).

In other words, I'd rather ship it somewhere and get it right than go local and have another wreck like that. Rifles with good factory threading always catch my eye now!

Good luck! </div></div>
+1!

And know that chances of being able to cut down and re-crown that chrome-lined barrel are slim, if the job gets borked up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: o0synge0o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And know that chances of being able to cut down and re-crown that chrome-lined barrel are slim, if the job gets borked up. </div></div>

I have cut, threaded and re-crowned literally hundreds of chrome lined AR barrels, probably in the 1600-1800 piece range.
The chrome is so thin (0.00025" or so) that you can forget that it's there with modern lathe tooling.
Don't fear the chrome.

I have had no problem with the FN SPR barrels I have shortened for people either.