• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Need a high end rifle recommendation!

brennon272

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2014
Hey guys, ive been reading here for a long time now, and i am now financially ready to move ahead with my dream rifle. I want a 338 Lapua, i can afford the ammo and its just a great caliber IMO. I am looking hard at the barrett MRAD, because its something different. I do not like the bullpup DTAs though. I am also heavily intrigued by the FN Ballista. I have about 6500 tops to spend on the rifle. Im setting aside an additional 3500 for accessories (optic, mount, etc.) I also want to suppress this rifle as well. I am mainly going to use it for long range shooting, maybe a competition here and there and some long range hunting.

Also, it needs to have enough rail space to accommodate a NV optic in front of the scope

Are you set on a factory gun? You can have a great rifle built for YOU for and for less than your budget which will allow you more coin for glass and ammo

TRG is a hell of gun

Last edited:
im not set on a factory gun, just wanted to throw my ideas out there

I'd take an AI first, DTA, then a Custom, TRG.
Talk to some of the shops and see what they can build. I ALWAYS enjoy specing out a rifle. But the Quick change rifles have a lot to offer

If you need it for comps and hunting don't get an AI or MRAD unless you really like carrying excess weight for extended periods of time. You can't have it all in one platform so you need to decide what you need to sacrifice and what the primary use will be and go from there.

the weight is no issue, i prefer walking and using heavier guns, i actually prefer it haha.

Why not talk with Jered at American Precision Arms..?
He will build a custom shooter for you ..whatever U want...and well within your budget

Just went out an weighed my AIAX 338 and it comes in at an even 20 pounds without rounds in the mag. That rifle would be fun in competition or hunting for about 30 minutes and then it would suck. Just offering up a "recommendation" as you asked for but you really don't want to run anything near this weight. However, with that said, carry on and get whatever you like as its your money but I can guarantee you that during your first competition or hunt you are going to reflect back on this conversation and regret your selection JMHO

Last edited:
Why not talk with Jered at American Precision Arms..?
He will build a custom shooter for you ..whatever U want...and well within your budget

+1 on the above. I have seen several 338's (other calibers as well) built by Jared on this site. They all seem to be works of art.

Any rifles would be going to military contracts first. I haven't heard anything about them being available to the consumer. Same goes for the Sako

I once wanted a 338 too. I ended up building a 338 edge on a McMillian A5, rem long action. The rifle was about 19lbs and was about 53" long... I wanted it for hunting and long range shooting just like you. Shooting it was expensive and carrying it around was a pain. I sold that rifle a long time ago and I now have a 6.5 saum and a 243 with a 20" barrel. 6.5 saum weights in a 11lbs and the 243 is a 10lb rifle.

Might be a little off topic, but knowing what style gun you like, if you are willing to go 308/7.62, the Larue PredatOBR 14.5" with suppressor would make a sweet set up.

I'm in the same boat with the 338 LM, and I'm sure you have read my thread. I'm going custom. I don't really need the barrel conversion, although I can see the benefits.

TR.net will build you one that will shoot .338 5 shot group at 500yd that a dime would cover.

Just having some fun at your thread's expense. That's why we keep all the negative posts around, to inform the community.
There are plenty of reputable smiths that will build you exactly what you want and give the service to back it up

why not buy someone's "firesale" AW or AX in whatever caliber you're looking for? There are handfuls of them to be had all over the place. Best thing about this is ZERO wait time. If you contact a custom shop for a custom build, you're gonna have to wait. FWIW, prices have gone up, APA (I have a rifle built by them) has gone up on some of their prices. This puts a custom build in line or higher than a factory bolt gun.

Oh, and no one wants to haul around a 338 LM for a competition or hunting. They're wayyyyy too heavy. My AE Mk III weighs around 12 pounds with the optic and its a heavy son of a bitch to carry around

Hey guys, ive been reading here for a long time now, and i am now financially ready to move ahead with my dream rifle. I want a 338 Lapua, i can afford the ammo and its just a great caliber IMO. I am looking hard at the barrett MRAD, because its something different. I do not like the bullpup DTAs though. I am also heavily intrigued by the FN Ballista. I have about 6500 tops to spend on the rifle. Im setting aside an additional 3500 for accessories (optic, mount, etc.) I also want to suppress this rifle as well. I am mainly going to use it for long range shooting, maybe a competition here and there and some long range hunting.

Since you just want a .338 just buy the 98B I think you will be very happy!

I recently purchased a TRG22 in .308. If I decide to buy a .338LM, I will go with the TRG again. It is a phenomenal rifle. Out of the box 1/2MOA with factory ammo. Bolt is smooth, trigger is great, nice feel, I can't find anything to complain about.

And the price point will allow for higher end optics and accessories.

Since you just want a .338 just buy the 98B I think you will be very happy!

Just having some fun at your thread's expense. That's why we keep all the negative posts around, to inform the community.
There are plenty of reputable smiths that will build you exactly what you want and give the service to back it up

Strike why do you recommend the MRAD over the 98B?

So, who do you guys consider to be the best builders?

I used Phoenix Custom Rifles for my 338 Lapua build. They, like many builders, guarantee 1/2 MOA accuracy. I personally went with them because Keith Johns is an awesome man to deal with and is very good with communication. They did me a favor in checking out a 300 win mag I had free of charge. He turned my rifle around in about 3 weeks. It was going to be 2 but he got busy the week I decided to ship my gun in. I called RWS and R&D Precision as well and they were 3-4 month wait.

The guys are right in saying that these things are freaking beasts but then again I built mine for strictly long range shooting where I could drive my truck or ATV and drag the gun 15 feet from the trunk. My gun weighs almost 30 lbs with a loaded mag in it and I would not use it for anything other than previously stated.

For a factory gun I do not own anything above a Remington 700. I get everything built because like the guys before me said, you can choose ANYTHING that you like, from weight to caliber to the parts that make it up. I have shot some AI's and used to own some Barrett 50s. Love the guns, but just couldn't get away from custom builds for cheaper than you could buy a lot of these factory rifles.

Just my $0.02

If I were gonna buy a full custom it would be a Tac-Ops. 1/4" guarantee with FGMM. From the ones I have seen they are top notch.

I know where there is a new Gradous 338 Norma for sale that would fit the bill. On display with a can hanging on it. Test target is typical of what's been shipping from Gradous, one ragged hole.

Surgeon action
Bartlein barrel
A-5 stock

ArmaLite AR-30 shoots great out of the box, and has a fabulous muzzle brake. If you can dial down to a .338 Win Mag, just buy any good rifle with a magnum bolt face, and rebarrel it.
Jim

I have both a TRG and AIAW in 308 which would be my 2 choices. Both wear a NF NXS 8-32X56 scope. If push to make a choice between the 2 it would be my AIAW that is slightly more accurate and fits me better. On the other hand the TRG has a better trigger and slicker bolt and is less expensive.

Just like others have already said. If you have 6K to spend on a rifle, screw factory, and have one of the many well know smiths build you a custom. You can choose the stock, barrel contour/twist rate, trigger, brake, colors for your finish, reamer, and so on. APA, Short Action Customs, LA Precision Rifles, Southern Precision Rifles, or any of the already mentioned above will do a phenomenal job on a custom build on any of the very good custom actions such as Defiance Machine, Stiller, or Surgeon Actions for that price. Beauty is that they offer an accuracy garantee. Just something to think about.

TR.net will build you one that will shoot .338 5 shot group at 500yd that a dime would cover.

It's not even worth bringing that guy into any thread, even as a joke unless it is in a thread about who to avoid! Remarks like that just might get someone who is less imformed to give them a look. So I wouldn't even joke about that guy, too many people have been hurt.

TR.net garuntees 1/2 MOA !

How about we don't give them any attention by even bring them into anyones thread looking for a quality builder/rifle. Unless you are going to clearly state to avoid him/them. To many people have been stung by too many bad builders lately.