• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a high end rifle recommendation!

brennon272

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2014
Hello, i originally started this thread in the bolt guns section of the forum, however after analyzing what the rifle will be used for, i think a semi auto is where i want to be until i fund the bolt action. So with that said, id consider ANY platform. Im looking for something that can be accurate out to 1000 (if possible) and something that i could kill a deer with inside 6-700 yards. I am going to load my own ammo, as far as my budget, id like to see whats out there under 5k for the gun itself, optics and everything will be separate. The platform also needs to be able to be suppressed as well. Weight is also not an issue.

Ok I take a stab at this one.

First off why semi over bolt? I know you can build/buy a semi that will run with any bolt gun to 700yrd so you could just build a bolt gun.

Next how experienced of a shooter are you? making a shot at 6-700 yrd and keeping it ethical is not the easiest thing.

If I was going to go shoot any thing over 700yards and and weight was not a problem I would be grabbing the pig of a 300 win I have. Being able to place a 208 leaving the muzzle at just a hair under 3000fps and shooting 1/3 moa to over a 1000 would give me flight time and less wind drift, along with the power to anchor any deer I see to the ground.

But I will also say that I shoot A LOT. I spend about every free cent I have on time behide my rifles making me better with them and there are still more shot that I would not take than that I would take.

But if you change it to just banging steel when we dont get in the debate of killing things at range ethically.

My First build for ANY one getting in to the sport is this

Rem 700 sps in 308
Trued up and chambered in a tighter 308 chamber
any stock that fits you( I run KRG w3's)
Vortex or leupold optics(match reticals and knobs)
harris bi-pod.
all this should be less than 3k
spend the rest on ammo and training.

I've been reading for a few weeks, and I feel confident saying well over 1/2 if not 3/4 of the people here would say GAP-10
I don't own one, but if I had 5k I definitely would looking for one
biggest selling point for me, everyone says how great the customer service is. just my .02

Wanna know what's really scary? It's not that a curious 15 year old kid is asking questions that he could figure out on his own with a little thought, it's that a 15 year old kid is asking questions that a 6 year old kid could figure out on his own having had a decent kindergarten experience showing the fun in discovery. We have a nation of these kids now, they have not learned how to think for themselves. What the hell happened?

Last edited:
I would say buy a xbox 360 with the deer hunting game, it will teach you trigger control and sight alignment, after that you you hit a target with a .22 at 1000 no problem

Last edited:
ok i take a stab at this one.

First off why semi over bolt? I know you can build/buy a semi that will run with any bolt gun to 700yrd so you could just build a bolt gun.

Next how experienced of a shooter are you? Making a shot at 6-700 yrd and keeping it ethical is not the easiest thing.

If i was going to go shoot any thing over 700yards and and weight was not a problem i would be grabbing the pig of a 300 win i have. Being able to place a 208 leaving the muzzle at just a hair under 3000fps and shooting 1/3 moa to over a 1000 would give me flight time and less wind drift, along with the power to anchor any deer i see to the ground.

But i will also say that i shoot a lot. I spend about every free cent i have on time behide my rifles making me better with them and there are still more shot that i would not take than that i would take.

But if you change it to just banging steel when we dont get in the debate of killing things at range ethically.

My first build for any one getting in to the sport is this

rem 700 sps in 308
trued up and chambered in a tighter 308 chamber
any stock that fits you( i run krg w3's)
vortex or leupold optics(match reticals and knobs)
harris bi-pod.
All this should be less than 3k

+1 ^^^ this!!!^^^

No brainer JP LRP-07, GAP-10, Larue OBR, and finally KAC SR-25. Any of these will do that with no problem.

Why would you true and rechamber a factory barrel

Ok I take a stab at this one.

Next how experienced of a shooter are you? making a shot at 6-700 yrd and keeping it ethical is not the easiest thing.

If I was going to go shoot any thing over 700yards and and weight was not a problem I would be grabbing the pig of a 300 win I have. Being able to place a 208 leaving the muzzle at just a hair under 3000fps and shooting 1/3 moa to over a 1000 would give me flight time and less wind drift, along with the power to anchor any deer I see to the ground.

But I will also say that I shoot A LOT. I spend about every free cent I have on time behide my rifles making me better with them and there are still more shot that I would not take than that I would take.

My First build for ANY one getting in to the sport is this

Rem 700 sps in 308
Trued up and chambered in a tighter 308 chamber
any stock that fits you( I run KRG w3's)
Vortex or leupold optics(match reticals and knobs)
harris bi-pod.
all this should be less than 3k

Because if you have some one that does it that knows what they are doing they become shooters. I have four rifles all with rem factory barrels on them(one is a tikka action) and they all are 3/8moa shooters. To me unless you are going for some thing that you can't find good cheap barrels for (6.5, 7mm, 6mm) then you can use a rem barrel for it. SO many people think you need a nice aftermarket barrel to have a gun that can shoot. WRONG, I would LOVE to see how many people here can actually out shoot their rifles when they are put together by a GOOD smith, not one just trying to make money on selling more parts.

But then again I am one of those "special" kind of guys that still shoots 308 because 168s are still easy to get and it is alot harder to make hit in the wind or at range, and that forces me to be a better shooter and not just let my gear do all the work for me.

I have had factory remingtons that shoot great but I think any gunsmith that was competent would tell you if your going to spend the money to true it and rechamber it why would you not spend a little more for a quality barrel that will shoot better, clean easier and last longer. Not to mention your adding a $1000 stock to a factory doesn't make much sense to me.

Last edited:
Well my smith does a re chamber in his full rifle tune up package that is cheaper than most smiths action truing package. SO it is just about free. Now for the extra 300 plus I save on a barrel that gives me 750 rounds of ammo that I can shoot instead , and I will put my rifle against any other 308 in a steel match any day. I would much rather have a cheap rifle that is nothing special that I know how it shoots, and have LOTS of ammo to practice with. Than a rifle that is fancy with all sorts of after market parts, and little ammo.

The whole point of my suggestion is for a new shooter. Any one getting into this sport just needs rounds down range, and I wouldn't suggest any new shooter "truing" up a rifle till they can out shoot a factory one. Most people when they re barrel, they go with a new caliber too and I fully support aftermarket barrels then, when I build my 6 or 6.5 creed it will be on a brux 6 or a ober 6.5 because when I am ready to drop all that money it will be worth it but for 308 there is no reason to not shoot a rem barrel that has been trued up and rechamberd and save your money for the ammo and get better with your rifle.

and it is a 308, clean and shoot out are words that don't mean much with that caliber when dealing with a barrel.

If you have never had a factory 308 barrel that needed cleaning or that was shot out you probably dont shoot much. My rifle has a shilen barrel on it without the $1000 stock and only cost around $300 to rebarrel and with a short chamberbed prethreaded barrel ( that was barrel and all) I sold the orginal for $100 as it only shot 3/4". We could argue all day but 90% of the people who shoot long range would disagree with your logic. You dont have a cheap rifle either by the sound of it you have over $2000 invested which is less than I have in my custom 308 with a match barrel.

First, my rifle all said and done I have less than 1000$ invested, I have had to barter and trade to get almost every thing I have.

Second, I have seen a 17" rem barrel that was cleaned only three times for well over 5k of rounds with fire cracking from one end to the other shoot multiple 3/8 moa groups, and place top 10 in several matches before it was retired, only because the owner wanted move to a different caliber.

And your are right we can go round and round with this one for a long time. I was a believer too that I need aftermarket barrels until I say how good Factory Rems can be. I could go on and on about this and the reason "why 90% of the LR community" believe that, but I won't. I know what I can do with my rifle and that is good enough for me.

Last edited:
Sorry last comment but I have to call bullshit on the 15k rounds with three cleanings and 3/8 groups, maybe 3 to 8 inch groups. You apparently like to feed people full of useless information. You must be one hell of a barterer with a rifle that has been trued and rechambered and a stock that cost at least $700 used for $1000. Maybe you should be an insurance salesman.