• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Need a little guidance

fireman610

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2008
Southern Indiana ( Evansville)
I tried to search this but I couldnt find any info if theres a link or links on this discussion please fwd them to me.

Im looking into my first .308 gun I have a couple options and need a lil feed back and help.

My options are A) Nice 70's or 80s or so model Winchester Model 70 heavy barrel proven shooter its nice real nice its already got holes drilled mount placed real nice Adj LOP stock thats wood, bipod mount. Ill have to update to scope but no big deal. I know for a long time Winchesters were hard to beat and used to be a steady go to gun for alot. Or

B) A newer style Remmy 700 and doing all the fun things that usually need to be done and basically rebuild it from the ground up Stock DBM Scope Rings Mount Etc Etc or I could get something like an LTR

I hope Im not starting a Ford/ Dodge Chevy fight here thats not my intention.. i just need some edumacation
Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
I see no mention of budget or intended use. Those two things should dictate the route you go. There are a million threads that discuss just about every .308 out there. Read up and ask a specific question and you'll probably get a better response.

Well I went the LTR route and only the barreled action remain. If you plan on upgrading, I would suggest an sps tactical or a varmint model. This saves you some money at the cost of having a less than ideal stock.

But there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 70, just not quite as many upgrade possibilities.

I'm just using this for range use maybe some beginners contests here and there ..I'm mainly asking about a comparsion between the two are tge older school Winchesters good quality or am I better off buying an LTR and expanding from that platform as I go?

I've been reading a lot of the threads on the sps varmint and the varmint sf, and have been thinking about going that route myself...

I would go with the 700 because if somebody make something for a bolt gun they make it for a 700. Your options are endless.