• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a new AR-15 trigger

Geiselle

AR Stoner 2 stage milspec

View attachment 7896358

Someone PLEASE tell me the difference between them.
It's almost impossible to tell from this angle.
The two-stage Schmid trigger (marketed by probably a dozen different brands) is a bargain in an entry after-market. You can get them as low as $50 from Aero precision on holiday sales (4th of July coming up). If you use a GI disconnector spring and cut off a single coil it breaks clean at around 4 pounds.

It can be a little gritty on first-stage take-up but breaks almost as nice as a Geissele G2S (around $100 at Christmas).

The Geissele SSA is a very nice trigger as well.

The simple fact the GI-style factory single-stage trigger in an off-the-rack gun or built from a lower parts kit can be so shitty makes an after-market attractive. They can potentially make a "Meh" gun into a decent shooter for a small investment.

As posted above, try them out if you can -- they all have different feeling "Break." Even Geissele has a chart describing his -- "Glass rod," "Carrot," etc . -- as opposed to others' "Cinder block across pavement grinding creep," "Spray-bottle gun squishy," and "Holy cats that's a long re-set."

All the way back to the original poster -- are you sure your Jewell is worn-out? You can replace that awful roller hammer spring with a GI hammer spring. Requires you to make two bends with needle-nose pliers -- maybe five minutes, tops. That may get you further along if you just need a replacement (and everything else is still functional, i.e. hammer, trigger, and disconnector) and will also fire harder GI primers.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF
My AR varmint gun has had a Jewel 2 stage trigger for over twenty years. It is worn out and now is basically a three round burst. I have to admit that I did have fun at the range today shooting the 400 yd steel plates with 3 round burst! I'm looking for either a singe or two stage trigger that is reliable and has a light enough trigger pull for shooting small groups with a heavy barrel varmint gun. What is available these days?

For the money, I like the LaRue MBT-2 & both the RRA NM & RRA NMV....all 2 stage triggers. Prefer those 3 to an SSA-E I have.

Just got my cmc competition installed. Feels very nice. Light weight, very crisp, short reset. Going to get it out this week to evaluate.

For $140 my initial impression is favorable.

All the way back to the original poster -- are you sure your Jewell is worn-out? You can replace that awful roller hammer spring with a GI hammer spring. Requires you to make two bends with needle-nose pliers -- maybe five minutes, tops. That may get you further along if you just need a replacement (and everything else is still functional, i.e. hammer, trigger, and disconnector) and will also fire harder GI primers.
I have had to adjust the sear engagement screw a bunch of times over the years. I gave it to a friend of mine, he will tinker with it in one of his ARs and see what happens. I'm good to go with the RISE trigger.

What do you consider a light single stage? The SSA-E two stage has a 3 1/2lb overall pull so I’m guessing anything less than 3 1/2lbs in a single stage.
I consider any drop in single stage available a light single stage trigger, as opposed to the longer travel higher weight original AR-15 trigger.
The SSA-E may have a total trigger weight of 3.5 lbs but the shooter first encounters the tactile feedback of the pull weight and travel of the first stage. In a tactical "red zone" situation I think a short travel lighter pull single stage increases the likelihood of a UD considerably. I had more than one UD (more like premature discharge since I was more or less on target but not quite ready to release) shooting matches with light pull short travel triggered precision rifles and that was just because I was in a hurry. Admittedly I'm not an operator like some shooters, though.

I've been shooting the RISE trigger for a while and I give it an A. I was testing loads for my new Krieger barrel. At 3.5lbs it took some time to get used to double the pull weight of my Jewel trigger. The trigger is great though, no take up, creep or over travel, just a nice clean break.

I have a CMC flat 3.5lbs trigger, I also have a Trigger Tech in my Wes Grant AR- Pistol and finally I have a JP Roller Trigger and I am happy with all of them and will not switch them out.

I have a 600 yd. AR rifle, that has a Timmney "Comp" trigger in it. Like it quite a lot. Tightened my groups up. Mac(y)

Best deal on a good trigger.
2-6 lbs adjustable

Has anyone seen the new Rise Armament 2-stage trigger. Looks like two separate mechanical pulls designed into the trigger itself. I am looking for a new 2-stage trigger to replace the Larue 2-stage trigger I have been using.

Last edited:
Haven’t used the rise trigger, but I’ve tried several triggers over the years. I now have Larue mbt2 triggers on 7 of my ARs. All of them function exactly the same, every time, no creep and break like glass. For the money, I consider it the best trigger available anywhere

Reactions: NCHillbilly
I saw that trigger and it's two piece design very similar to a Glock trigger. Curious about its break but not tempted to buy one.