• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a new barrel for a GAP-10

EUBANKS

Private
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2007
Greenwood, SC
So I need a barrel with a switch block and a longer gas tube for my GAP-10. I called GA-Precision and Dustin refused to sell me one because I told him it was for my GAP-10. He insisted I send them the upper and wait several months. He told me if it was for someone else's AR-10 it wouldn't be a problem to sell me the barrel, block and gas tube. To make things more confusing, I had my buddy call and they quoted him the full wait of 10 months for a complete upper build for several thousand dollars. They wouldn't entertain a new barrel and block with him.

Don't get me wrong. Im not flaming GAP. I still love the rifle.

I need to hunt with this rifle in a few weeks. Any recommendations would be great. Does anyone know where I can buy the switch block directly?

Another question, will a different upper bolt to this lower? Maybe a LWRC, POF, or something similar? Has anyone tried this?

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your reply. If I can't find a barrel for my GAP-10 I will have to get something different.

How bad is the current barrel? Is it truly so shot out that you cannot hunt with it?

The barrel and rifle has never been shot other than test fired by GAP. The problem is that GAP installs at least two different configurations on the GAP10. The gas block on my barrel is too far inside the hand guard to effectively use a switch block. Im OK with a new barrel, block, gas tube, etc. I just don't want to wait two months as I will miss most of hunting season.

If I could find an adjustable block, I'll tune it for a suppressor and leave it alone. I can't imagine hunting without the can installed.

There is at least a decent chance that your rifle will function suppressed the way it is now if it is a 308. Even if it doesnt, you can play around with different buffers and buffer springs. At the very least, you might just try it. The switchblock on the GAP-10 is a relatively new addition. Surely before that people ran suppressors on their GAP-10's right? I would call GA and ask for some advice.

Its a Noveske switchblock. But someone needs to fit it to your rifle if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:
I'd shoot it unsuppressed before worrying about a new barrel. It's hunting, how many shots you going to take?

I would just send the GAP-10 off to GAP to be altered properly and buy a DPMS with a threaded barrel for the hunting season for $1,200.00. After the season is over, I would dump the DPMS for whatever I could get for it and get back to the test and tune of the GAP-10.

DPMS RFLR-REC Recon 20+1 308WIN/7.62NATO 16" $1,193.00 SHIPS FREE

Either that or I would hunt for one season with my unsuppressed backup rifle and a set of electronic ear muffs.

I'd stick a low profile Syrac or SLR adjustable gas block on it and run it as is. Both should fit inside the handguard and can be adjusted with a long allen wrench even if hidden down inside an extended length handguard. Write down the number of clicks out from fully closed for suppressed and non-suppressed operation. Not quite as fast as a switchblock but it's something you could add to the rifle yourself in the next few days and have the rifle ready to go for hunting.

If the gas block is hidden down inside the handguard I'd recommend an SLR, you only need a single allen wrench to adjust the screw compared to the Syrac which requires one tool to depress the detent in addition to an allen wrench to adjust the screw.

Last edited: