• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a new car. Early '00s 4Runner or Jeep GC?

Swift

Chief Bagel Technician
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Gonna need a new DD here in the next couple weeks. I've narrowed my search down to a 4Runner or a Jeep GC, both early '00 models. Just wanted to see if anyone had one, the other or both and could chime in with their experience. Thanks in advance.

Re: Need a new car. Early '00s 4Runner or Jeep GC?

You can take your pick. They are pretty equal in everything. The V6 toyo has some sludging issues so oil changes at regular intervals is a must. The 4.0 liter engine is the ONLY good motor, and as long as you never overheat it will last 300K miles and 20 exhaust manifolds. The 4rnr has a little more room and is a little more refined on road, I give the off road edge to the GC but not by a lot.
I think price for condition should be your guide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gonna need a new DD here in the next couple weeks. I've narrowed my search down to a 4Runner or a Jeep GC, both early '00 models. Just wanted to see if anyone had one, the other or both and could chime in with their experience. Thanks in advance. </div></div>

TOYOTA
grin.gif

Jeep
mad.gif

My only two cars have been a '95 4Runner and a '00 Tacoma. They are great vehicles, have never had any problems, and last a loooong time. My friends have all owned Jeeps and have had various problems with them. This is just from my experience so I'm sure you'll hear other stories leaning one way or another.

In any case I like the greater ground clearance of the 4Runner and it just downright looks better than the Jeep GC.

You'll also get into the argument of US vs. Import but that's a dumb argument in my opinion. Hi-Point handguns are 100% made in the USA and they're still a piece of junk, I'll happily buy a made in Croatia Springfield XD that actually functions...

But I digress...

Seriously, what's not to like?
smile.gif

antero3.jpg

4runnerphotoshopyd1.jpg

38780774001_large.jpg

My vote would go for the toyota. I have a jeep wrangler dont get me wrong but when you start putting some miles on them problems start occurring. For instance i just rebuilt my motor at 133k because of a cracked piston skirt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My only two cars have been a '95 4Runner and a '00 Tacoma. They are great vehicles, have never had any problems, and last a loooong time. My friends have all owned Jeeps and have had various problems with them. This is just from my experience so I'm sure you'll hear other stories leaning one way or another.

In any case I like the greater ground clearance of the 4Runner and it just downright looks better than the Jeep GC.

You'll also get into the argument of US vs. Import but that's a dumb argument in my opinion. Hi-Point handguns are 100% made in the USA and they're still a piece of junk, I'll happily buy a made in Croatia Springfield XD that actually functions...

But I digress...

smile.gif

antero3.jpg

4runnerphotoshopyd1.jpg

38780774001_large.jpg
</div></div>

That dont look like Kansas, Dorthy.

A 4runner from the early 00's is probably just broken in and has plenty of miles left on the ticker. I would go with the Toyota as long as the vehicle history is good and you believe the regular maintenance has been kept up on it. I own a '03 Tacoma and '83 Pickup 4x4 and will never stray from Toyota until i need a full size diesel. At which point I hope the Tundra has a diesel option.

Nice rigs Luke!

Spit 2 rods out of the 5VZ-FE in the 1999 4-runner earlier this summer with 130K on it-- but other than that it's been a good vehicle. Hell of a first problem to have with it though, and for more salt on the wound the 4runner replaced a 1993 Oldsmobile Bravada that had 240K on the original engine and tranny and the Bravada with 240K on it still managed better highway mpg and had cleaner tailpipe emissions than the 4Runner.

And yes, it did have very regular maintenance with factory oil filters and good fluids. No corners were cut in the maintenance department.

None of the guys at the dealership nor the district service manager could believe it spit rods out the side-- even the senior tech who had been there over 15 years said he had never seen a 5VZ-FE blow up this catastrophically. It wasn't failed fasteners (they were still intact)-- the rods failed mid-span. Probably a bad casting that finally had enough and decided to leave via the side of the block.

Toyota Corporate didn't have much to say about it, nor did they help out. They did offer $1000 off the purchase of a new Toyota though... gee, thanks!

Even Toyota turns out a dud every now and then-- but I'd still pick a 4Runner over a Jeep GC any day of the week. About my only complaint (besides the engine grenading prematurely) is the relatively poor mileage. Even if you baby it ~20 mpg is about all the 3.4 V6 seems to be capable of. Pretty poor mileage IMO considering the rather meager amount of power it puts out (175-ish.)

Just pics I pulled off of www.mycolorado.org and Google. I think the top pic is near Engineer or Cinnamon Pass? Could be quite wrong though. Check the link for more info...

You know we had a thread about the 1911/Glock bias.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2745602#Post2745602
I realize this may come down to a fist fight but I am going to call out all you Toyota coolaid drinkers.
I will first say that Toyota puts out a great product. OK that's over with.
It is not just you guys and your Toyota's but it seems that all Toyota owners have a straight out fear of saying anything bad about your Toyota. For years this is the typical conversation I get from some.
Me: Looks like your transmissions forward sprag has failed and will need a tear down or we can replace with Toyota's replacement transmission. about $4K parts and labor.
Customer: OK that will be fine. It has been such a GREAT! vehicle. I have only had the motor replaced one time, three axles boots, a timing chain, 3 O2 sensors, a MAF sensor, an axle seal on both axles, 3 sets of brakes, and had the trans serviced about 10K ago when the pan was leaking real bad.
Me: Oh that's all?

Toyota has had many motor problems. They have had sludging problems that lead to them replacing many thousands of engines in the Toyota and Lexus line. I remember one of the V6 motors that had head gasket problems. The flat rate guys had so many motor jobs that they had to hire on 2 to 3 helpers just for tear down. There was the "wall of motors" as we called it. Usually 25 to 30 motors stacked 3 high on the 4Runners. Here we have a hill that you have to climb to get to the desert. There have been so many dead diff's that have given their lives to that 12 or so miles.

Nissan had a similar but even worse diff problem with the Titan that they had to rent one of those sea containers that had nothing but differentials in it. They tried to put a huge heat sink on the diff and it just did not work.

I am not telling you that you have junk, just saying that Toyo's are not Kryptonite. ALL this shit brakes pretty evenly based upon what it does. I will say though that most Toyota owners will maintain their vehicle to a much higher level than just about any brand out there. And don't seem to blink an eye when you give them an estimate for maintenance or repair that would make a Ford, GM, or Dodge owner throw something at you.

Last but not least if you tow a heavy toy hauler or horses around here you have two choices. Their names are Super Duty, and Duramax.

So do you like a Glock or a 1911?
smile.gif

Toyota by far! I have had a 2003 Toyota 4runner sport with the 4.7L V8. I have driven the thing on countless hunting and fishing trips, been all over our ranch roads and friends ranch roads, and have done many trips to Big Bend and other 4X4 trails here in Texas and in Colorado and the Yota has been perfect. It now has 210,00 miles on it and it has never had an issue other than normal matinence and I installed Bilstein shocks and a exhaust kit. BTW after all the miles it is still getting 19 MPG on the highway. Could not have had a better vehicle at any price.

Toyota for reliability. I purchased a New Toyota Tacoma and a New Jeep Grand Cherokee at about the same time. My Toyota (which I still own) hasn't had any issues, while the Jeep was constantly in the shop. Major things started happening at around 60k. Finally got fed up with it and picked up a Honda SUV.

I'm sure you can find some Toyotas that have had issues but I bet you'll have a hard time finding a Jeep GC that hasn't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My only two cars have been a '95 4Runner and a '00 Tacoma. They are great vehicles, have never had any problems, and last a loooong time. My friends have all owned Jeeps and have had various problems with them. This is just from my experience so I'm sure you'll hear other stories leaning one way or another.

But I digress...

smile.gif

antero3.jpg

4runnerphotoshopyd1.jpg

38780774001_large.jpg
</div></div>

Nice. I like it.

To the OP...
Get the 4runner over the Jeep, it'll cost you more initially but serve you better in the long run and always hold some resale value. The rear ends in the Jeeps suck ass and a Jeep Grand Cherokee with 150k miles isn't worth dick, while a 4runner with 200k will still have buyers. But don't listen to me, I only have 30+ years in the car business...