• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Need a new CCW...

xdeano

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2005
North Dakota
So I've been carrying for 20 years now and I'm looking for something new. I've handled some nice ones recently, just haven't decided on which one.

Here are a few that I'm looking at;
Sig 365 SAS 9mm
Springfield hellcat 9mm
Smith & wesson shield EZ 2.0 9mm

The SAS has really caught my eye, but I'm not quite sold on embedded sight.

The hellcat has an excellent capacity, but the trigger seemed to be the worst of the 3.

The EZ if I buy one, I'd probably wait tell the custom shop starts doing them, get the ported barrel etc.

Thoughts and opinions welcome. If you've shot one or all, I'd like your feedback. Thanks guys.
Xdeano

I have a regular S&W shield that I switched to from a glock 26 I carried for 22 years I love the slimness and size of it and this will be the one for the future as I’m a creature of habit. The 365 looks interesting but I did not like the sas version if that helps

What have you been carrying?
Sig p238. It shoots great, easy to conceal. I'll probably still carry it. Seems like the new guns have a bit higher mag capacities. And of course going from 380 to 9mm would be nice. Hell the ammo is cheaper, which doesnt make a lick of sense.

Xdeano

I have a p365 with close to 700 rounds down the tube and highly recommend it. No functional issues, groups tight for such a little gun and the 12 round mag capacity is a huge plus for a CCW.

I have the p238 also. It sits in the safe now. The 365 has taken its place. I have one I keep on me and one I keep in the truck too. Love them! Highly recommend. Tons of rounds through the one I keep in my truck. Probably over 1000. No issues.

Another vote for the P365. The wife's has almost 500 down tube without a single hiccup. Damn accurate for its size. I want one for myself.

Check out the 365 XL. I looked at the SAS a number of times and went back to seriously consider that or the S&W 2.0 performance

Reactions: JOS
I've been carrying a G19 for years not a sub compact but pretty easy to conceal, it just always works & always hits what I'm aiming at, before that carried a Smith model 36, my state is in the process of passing a mag restriction, might just go back to the 36 have always loved that piece.

I have the M&P 2.0 9mm compact with the 3.6" barrel.

I really liked how easy it was to train for a good presentation with this gun and from what I hear I'm not the only one who just finds they dont make you work as hard.
Accurate, great trigger for a working gun and very reliable for me so far.

My only real complaint is that you cant really drop the slide from the right slide release. Its ambidextrous and appears to have about the same weight as the left side but because it doesnt stick out or give you anything to grip onto. You can use it to engage the slide stop but you cannot release it from that side.

I carried a g26 for a bunch of years now the g43 is a constant companion put on a +1 to the mags and it’s great.

G43 maybe an option with the new 15rd mags available.

That aftermarket mag is for the g43x, not the g43. Aftermarket pistol mags are generally known for being less reliable than oem mags, and that 15 round mag is brand new to the market and relatively few have made it into the hands of the public. Even Magpul, which is known for their great R&D and testing, had problems with their gen 1 Glock mags.

I say all this to put into context the importance of waiting a year for proof of reliability before endorsing those 15 round aftermarket g43x mags.

Reactions: EternusVigilantia
That aftermarket mag is for the g43x, not the g43. Aftermarket pistol mags are generally known for being less reliable than oem mags, and that 15 round mag is brand new to the market and relatively few have made it into the hands of the public. Even Magpul, which is known for their great R&D and testing, had problems with their gen 1 Glock mags.

I say all this to put into context the importance of waiting a year for proof of reliability before endorsing those 15 round aftermarket g43x mags.

I don't disagree with your statement which is why I said maybe a option... I've had malfunctions out of factory Glock mags so I proof anything that I consider carrying by shooting lots of rounds out of it and using them specifically when practicing. On the other hand they maybe very reliable and make that handgun an even better option.

Another vote for the sign 365. That gun just feels amazing in the hand to me. I personally don't care for the SAS. Those hidden sights just seem gimmicky to me.

My 365 shoots Federal HST ammo like a freaking Lazer.
FWIW

I have been carrying a Smith and Wesson shield performance center 4 inch lately it is a great shooting pistol, I switch between that and a M&P compact 2.0 also with the 4 inch barrel

Funny not a lot of mention of the hellcat. Ive talked to some that say it's very snappy, and wouldn't consider it for a few more years. But, guys are buying them.

I don’t like to carry striker fire guns.
I don’t like safeties on my carry gun’s.
All my carry guns have a hammer.

For micro gun that’s easy to conceal it’s a Sig P290RS - DA only.
I carry this IWB appendix, and it’s invisible.
The trigger sucks. The capacity sucks.
I shoot it well.

For every day carry it’s CZ P-07 - DA/SA decocker.
I carry this IWB at 3:00.
The trigger is fabulous.
The capacity is great.
It shoots awesome.

Lots of guys have been running the shield arms 15rd mags, people started getting them mid December. I think they sold 5000 mags and they are all delivered.

I've had my g48 for almost a year, close to 5k rds through it, 0 malf or broken striker (cough, 365, cough). I got my shield arms mags 2 weeks ago, left them loaded for 24hrs and then ran 130rds through each mag. I did have a couple failures to lock slide back and a few nosidives. I was running 124gr handloads (1180fps). Pulled springs out and they had compressed to just one coil longer than mag tube. Apparently I was the outlier, cause from what I've heard and read, they've been 100%.

Factory g19 mag springs, and g17 springs, fit perfect and are identical shape. Just longer by 2 coils. I've had those mags loaded and reloaded and shot....for 1 week now. Close to 200rds through each mag with g19 springs, 100%. Hold 15, can do a combat reload, doesnt slow slide with 15+1, and locks slide back after last rd. I'm going to say they are 100% after I put another 200 through each one.

Sig p365 is so comfortable for edc...I can't stand the sights, but I can point shoot easily...even from the draw... I attached a crimson laser, and it's magical. The trigger is amazing on these!

About a year ago I went from a Glock 30 to a Keltec P11 and 12 round mags. The original mags were limited to 10 rounds but in 2004 the follower was changed to allow 12.

There are several small 10 to 13 round 9mms on the market now.

I really like my S&W Shields (45acp 2.0 & 9mm). Both fit my medium hands, lightweight and slim (strap'em on and forget about 'em). Both have functioned flawlessly and I have total confidence in them. Mac(y)

I just ordered the 365 XL grip for my plain 365 and mags to go with it. That was my only gripe about the gun. Changing mags was not the easiest. This fixes that. Like the trigger and the feel. Really controllable for such a small pistol.

I carry a Glock 45; the 19 slide on a 17 frame version. I would like something a little smaller for very mobile outings and I'm between the Glock 43 and the Sig P365XL.

I would recommend deciding what you do with it first. The G45 has not been a hindrance and conceals well. I like having a full size gun with a 17 round flush mag. Don't get too short of a gun; there is a happy length that conceals better because it pushes against your pelvis and pivots the grip into your gut better. A P365XL will conceal better than a 365.

Springfield Armory is a rolling dumpster fire.

The 365 SAS is terrible. Try acquiring those sights quickly in less than ideal conditions. That sight method sucks. Why do you need flush sights? An automatic with that light of a trigger pull doesn't make a good pocket gun, and a good holster protects the sights.

The Glock 43X/48 seem neat but they don't fit any role to me. The 43X has a short barrel and long grip that make it hard to conceal. The 48 will conceal better because of the longer barrel but you've basically then got a teeny bit thinner Glock 19 with less capacity and no way to mount most lights.

The Shields are cool, nothing really special and very affordable. I'd get a regular Shield and not the EZ if you're looking at these other guns.

A good holster makes all the difference in the world. Get a good holster with the appendix claw and it will conceal great. I use ANR Designs.

Well the sig 365 with 12 round mags won out for me. Shoots great, easy to conceal and 12+1. Whats not to like about that. Hope to carry it as much as I did the old p238, for the next 20years or until the next new gadget comes out.

Deano

Reactions: phlegethon