• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need a new chronograph

LRDD

Minuteman
Nov 5, 2007
Freeort Florida
After many years of use my very old chrony finally took a dump on me. Wondering what are some good ones to look at replacing it with?

I'm seriously considering the magneto speed as my next chronograph.
However, my current Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital has treated me very well.

magnetospeed... the be all end all in chronos for rifles. doesnt really work with pistols but is awesome for rifles.. i have owned, 3 different chronos, ced m2, prochrono, etc magnetspeed is so easy to use once its attached, its awesome.

I love my magneto speed! No worries about setting up downrange or lighting conditions is awesome!

I do all my load development and short range practice shooting with a CED M2, I trust the numbers it give me, I like the idea of the magneto, but not the practice, how can anything on the end of your barrel be a good thing.

I tried a friend maneto.. POI shift almost 4moa.. i noticed groups open up.. do you use maneto while doing load/accuracy test? I wouldnt.. i proly use it to finalize load dev..otherwise im good using prochrony while doing load dev/test

I tried a friend maneto.. POI shift almost 4moa.. i noticed groups open up.. do you use maneto while doing load/accuracy test? I wouldnt.. i proly use it to finalize load dev..otherwise im good using prochrony while doing load dev/test

I agree...anything strapped to the barrel is going to change harmonics, which makes load development with one on there not the best idea. I am going to pick up a Magnetospeed later this week. The ability to quickly measure your pet load's velocity in varying conditions is nice. I rarely shoot in conditions where it's easy or even possible to set up a normal chrono.

What contour barrel did you see that dramatic shift from? On my M24 contour 308 and medium Palma 223 the shift if any is not measurable and groups the same off or on. I do all load development with it on and then confirm zero with it off and it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with a Magnetospeed V1 after get a hassle at the range from some other shooters about setting up my ProChrono. So much easier to set up and I've had little POI or accuracy difference.

I shot my "shooting chrony" beta model and don't miss it at all. I bought a ProChrono Digital by Competition Electronics and love it. All the functions are clearly labeled right there on the front. It never once gave me an error--I don't remember a single shooting session when the old "chrony" DIDN't display errors. And the old chrony required me to consult the poorly-translated manual every time I used it. Once I used the ProChrono one time I no longer needed the manual to figure out which button to push when and how many times.

I would have little use for the Magnetospeed since much of my testing is for semiauto handguns.

[QUOTE I bought a ProChrono Digital by Competition Electronics and love it. All the functions are clearly labeled right there on the front. It never once gave me an error--

[/QUOTE]

Love mine too. I bought the kit that hooks it too a laptop computer from Brownells and can log all data into files with the load data and take pictures of the groups and put them together . Then I print the pages from the really good loads, laminate them and put them in a 3 ring binder. Never have to worry about losing load test results.

Thanks for the advice guys. I had never looked at the MagnetoSpeed V2 before, but I like how simple it looks to use and set up. I am strongly leaning that way.

[QUOTE I bought a ProChrono Digital by Competition Electronics and love it. All the functions are clearly labeled right there on the front. It never once gave me an error--

Love mine too. I bought the kit that hooks it too a laptop computer from Brownells and can log all data into files with the load data and take pictures of the groups and put them together . Then I print the pages from the really good loads, laminate them and put them in a 3 ring binder. Never have to worry about losing load test results.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like an excellent idea. Thanks

I recently got the MagnetoSpeed, and the thing that I like the most, and didn't think of before I got it, was the ability to chrono anytime of day or night. I never realized how much I was always waiting for the "sun to be in the right place" so my old chrono would give good readings...

I have owned a Shooting Chrony (blue one), and I hated it. I now own a SuperChrono acoustic chronograph. I find it difficult to setup perfectly. The manufacturer says they are easy to set up and have a big window of which to shoot through. I find this to be false (for my particular one anyways?) as the optimal window is probably only an inch if that. I find I need to shoot directly OVER the sensors to get it to work right... so I literally wind down the scope to 3.5 or 5x zoom, so that I can see both the chrono and my target in the same picture, and then line my rifle up perfectly.

One thing I do find is that if the sensors are not in perfect position, I still get readings however the speeds are just incorrect. The ES/SD data that comes out of the incorrect speeds still appears to be useful. In other words I can still read if a string is giving me consistent MV, its just the speed might be off.

What would I like to own for the future?

I would like a magneto. I would run all of my load development without a chrony using a Ladder, or OBT/OCW, find the load that is producing results and THEN i would run a string over the magneto just to find out what the speed, ES/SD is.

Whats my dream chrony?
The Kurzzeit