• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Need a new hunting rifle

kujuak

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2017
Planning a mountain hunt next year. Current hunting rifle is an 20 year old Remington Custom Shop Alaskan Wilderness rifle in 300 WinMag. Rilfe will be used for mule dear and mountain sheep. What's the best off the shelf rifle for this niche currently? Custom rifle suggestions? I reload for 308,,30'06, 300 WinMag and 6.5Creedmoor in hunting calibres. I'd like to stay with one of those calibres. I also load for 338WinMag in hunting calibres but don't want a light weight 338Mag, I am dumb but not that dumb. Don't like muzzle brakes on my hunting rifles.
The thoughts of guys who hunt on foot and backpack hunt would be greatly appreciated .7-8lb weight is about right.

Thanks!!!!!!!

I love carrying my Sako Finnlight but hate to shoot it! It’s getting a brake this winter, felt recoil isn’t bad with the .300WSM, but it jumps and makes follow up difficult

Had a SAKO 75 finnlight, sold it. It was accurate but the jump also put me off, never felt "right" . It has a McMillan stock, don't think the current AWR has that stock.The other issue with the SAKO is their propietary scope base,Not a fan of the Tikka plastic mags (I am an old guy remember), otherwise I have been quite happy with the 223 Tikka I now own.

Planning a mountain hunt next year. Current hunting rifle is an 20 year old Remington Custom Shop Alaskan Wilderness rifle in 300 WinMag. Rilfe will be used for mule dear and mountain sheep. What's the best off the shelf rifle for this niche currently? Custom rifle suggestions? I reload for 308,,30'06, 300 WinMag and 6.5Creedmoor in hunting calibres. I'd like to stay with one of those calibres. I also load for 338WinMag in hunting calibres but don't want a light weight 338Mag, I am dumb but not that dumb. Don't like muzzle brakes on my hunting rifles.
The thoughts of guys who hunt on foot and backpack hunt would be greatly appreciated .7-8lb weight is about right.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Custom - DMR LLC hands down. You won't be disappointed. Something like a proof carbon 20" barrel (6.5cm), carbon stock. I'd go 6.5 Creedmoor as it's no slouch and can definitely contend with elk, mulies, and sheep.
If you're consistently hunting big game, or wanna buck the wind a bit more , a .300 WM w/ a 24"-26" proof carbon barrel, pierce Ti action, carbon fiber stock might be more your speed.

Off the shelf - tikka, sako, seekins, begara....

Reactions: Wyzrd and kujuak
Hey, anybody with experience with a Tikka T3X CTR, looks like maybe this would be the ticket, 6.5 Creedmoor, put a smaller FFP scope on it and might just be right. What say you ??

Reactions: WoobieJ
Hey, anybody with experience with a Tikka T3X CTR, looks like maybe this would be the ticket, 6.5 Creedmoor, put a smaller FFP scope on it and might just be right. What say you ??

This will be the rifle I take hunting with me next year:

Tikka CTR action
6.5CM Rock Creek barrel with barrel nut from PVA (26” light Palma contour)
KRG Bravo with spigot
Vortex Razor AMG in ARC M10 rings

Balances nicely and isn’t overly heavy (although heavier than some might like). Eventually I’d like to get a CF wrapped barrel for it to shave even more weight, but for now, this will definitely work for me...

FBA1D567-821A-4506-8EC6-6EB48A40AAEF.jpeg
7105304E-4D4D-4DE7-BA9A-44C42BED816D.jpeg
5F1C66D7-9A9B-45F1-B368-EDC079CA135A.jpeg

If you decide to stray from your current calibers, I’d suggest:

Short action= 6.5prc (specifically the Seekins Precision Havak)
Long action= 7rm or 28nosler

Reactions: RNWRKNP
Solid choice! Trijicon 2.5-10x56 or a Eotech Vudu 5-25x50FFP, or Vortex AMG on that would be slick.

Between myself and my hunying buddies, we have 4 Tikkas for hunting rifles.
And a couple CTRs in the mix.

For those game I would go 6.5. The tikka barrels are a tad slow, so if you can find a used one or an action, have someone toss on a barrel and get after it.
Factory stocks arent custom awesome and they plain work. Mine wears a Tac Ops cheek pack as the stock is slick with my beard resting on it.
My T3 .308 will shoot 3 rds of Hornady Black 155 Amax into 3/4” or a bit less at 100 and always around 2.5” at 300. I get some better groups and thats average.

I run Talley 1 piece rings and have used a Leupold VX2 with success and now a LRHS.

Wyzard,How does that rig handle for offhand shooting?

Wyzard,How does that rig handle for offhand shooting?

I haven’t done a whole lot of offhand shooting with it up to this point, but the little i have, so far so good. It’s not too heavy thanks to the light Palma barrel and now the AMG instead of the Gen2 Razor, and it balances really nicely.

My CTR’s were heavier than I would want for a mountain hunt. I would look very hard at the Barrett Fieldcraft

I have a 20” ctr with a Burris XTR on it and I love it, good tikka quality, 5/8” groups with federal premium.

Reactions: Stooxie
The intersection of light, accurate and quality is going to be a Tikka T3x in whatever caliber you want. The OEM stock and plastic mag set up is also the intersection of light, reliable and functional. So much bemoaning of the plastic trigger guard and mags yet both are much higher quality than the average and, more importantly, function 100%. You can get extended magazines which hold another 2 or 3 rounds, so that makes 6 shots with one in the chamber. Plus you can always carry a spare.

The CTR is terrific if you don't mind a bit more weight. Otherwise a T3x Lite will do exactly what you're looking for. The gun is guaranteed MOA with the OEM stock, and most shoot well below with it. They are fiber glass reinforced polymer stocks, very stiff, compared to the rubbermaid stocks that come on other synthetic rifles.

-Stooxie

Just another point, the OEM Tikka Lite stock is 1.8 pounds and the CTR stock is 2 pounds. CTR bottom metal and mag is another 8 oz. The plastic trigger guard and mag is about 4 oz.

-Stooxie

Reactions: kujuak
A Tikka T3X can be upgraded with a McMillan Hunters Edge stock and Mountain Tactical bottom metal and picatinny rail. Mine is a 6.5x55 Hunter with 22.4” fluted barrel.

And a lightweight factory rifle that shoots like this out of the box is not a bad thing...

I agree with Stooxie and Xtremehunter, the tikka lite dbm is very functional and all I’d imagine a guy needs for most hunting applications. If the plastic doesn’t feel substantial enough, the MT upgraded metal with the plastic mags would be good also.

I have a CTR and like it, but for mountain hunting I’d not want to carry it with a the medium weight barrel and 10rd mag hanging out the bottom. Most guys here are used to heavy match rifles so the CTR seems like a lightweight but it’s really not. I’d lean toward a t3x lite or super lite stainless for a dedicated hunting rifle that can come in sub 9# all up.

Doesn't sound like you'd be interested in another Finnlight, but I'm selling a 75 Finnlight in 30-06 (Serengeti chamber) with a 24" Shilen 10 twist Select Match #2 contour 24" bbl. I also have the original 20" 11 wist bbl. I have 1" and 30mm Optilock rings with base. I believe i also have a Limbsaver replacement recoil pad, not the slip on.

Near Manufacturing makes a picatinny rail that attaches to the dove tail top for better scope mount spacing.

This is the last rifle i own that isn't threaded for my supressor, so it doesn't get shot anymore. It's listed for sale on the 24 Hour Campfire. If you think you might be interested, shoot me a PM and i can send pics.

Keep the thread updated with what you get, and eventually hunt details. Good luck.

Will

I have not seen a single good rifle off the shelf thats been mentioned, running 8lbs in full hunting trim with a decent scope that features a reticle, FFP and turrets I want to use.

The light weight good scopes with the above features are still coming in around 24-28oz. For comparison that Razor is + another 24.5 @ 48.5 oz.

Base, rings, scope caps, bipod and sling will add just about 24oz give it take..

Either way, that’s about +3lbs

So most off the shelf guns might start near 7 but end up around 10 in any decent trim.

That said I still rather lug an extra pound to get an adjustable check rest a better stock and proof CF barrel.

Another super light option in a stock rifle with many features is the FIX from Q

Last edited:
Since you are concerned with recoil and don't want a brake, I'd say go with something in .284 caliber. 280rem, 284win, 280AI, you'll be good on animals well past 1200 yards with the right bullet and it will be a joy to shoot. There is plenty of reloading components available and I would not let $50 worth of new dies stop me from getting a truly great hunting rifle.

Kimber Mountain Ascent is pretty light. A 6.5 with a lighter scope would be 8 lbs.

Reactions: Diver160651
As far as a specific rifle the 700 SS Mountain rifle I bought my son shoots lights out and is very light.

A Tikka T3X can be upgraded with a McMillan Hunters Edge stock and Mountain Tactical bottom metal and picatinny rail. Mine is a 6.5x55 Hunter with 22.4” fluted barrel.

And a lightweight factory rifle that shoots like this out of the box is not a bad thing...

I'm with Xtem Htr16, go buy a Tikka T3x Suplerlite, drop it in a Mcmillan Hunters Edge and you have about the perfect all around rifle. Mine is a 7MM-08 and shots most any factory ammo plenty accurate.
413447220.jpg

Reactions: lou400a and Wyzrd
Light is right, lighter is righter. If you hunt by foot, every single ounce counts.

Best off the shelf light weight hunting rifle two options; For a long action Tikka T3x, for short action Kimber Mountain. You wont gain anything with a custom. Game don't care what cool roll marks there is, save your coin for more hunts. Your legs and lungs care about weight. Ounces here and there leads to pounds. Witnessed plenty who thought they were large, hard and in charge but after 6 hours of suffering they got owned by weight.

Leupold VX e 2.5 - 8 scope is light with a small profile. In my experience, no need to twist turrets to fill your freezer. Its about the hunt not the shot.

Plenty of hunters every season show up with their highspeed tricked out hand rolls only to discover missing ammo for a whole host of reasons. Hard to run to the local shop and pick up Vs common calibers.

Animals don't care what the headstamp says only if you hit them in the engine room with a good bullet. Said it before, game go dead right their with 243 and others walk around hit with 338. Its the hit and the animals desire to not give up.

I started with 06, killed them dead, desire for horsepower a 300, 7 mag that killed them dead, then desire for more HP 70s, 80s, and most of the 90s I had a light weight 338 with Leupold Alaskan 3x fixed scope, 250gr partition bullets, good out to 425 yards, down to 90 yards. It was a real hellbender on both ends, at my age now, 308 with partitions kill the same game just as dead.

good luck

I'd definitely stick to the 30-06 and load something in the 200 grain range. I think if you can get something like that outta the muzzle around 2750 you'll be golden. Pick whatever rifle suits you best.

Tikka t3
Sako 85
Sako 75
Win 70
Howa 1500
Seekins havak
Browning hells canyon
Kimber

I'd definitely stick to the 30-06 and load something in the 200 grain range. I think if you can get something like that outta the muzzle around 2750 you'll be golden. Pick whatever rifle suits you best.

Tikka t3
Sako 85
Sako 75
Win 70
Howa 1500
Seekins havak
Browning hells canyon
Kimber
Just a quick look in my reloading manuals and I see you will be hard pressed getting a 200gr bullet to get anywhere close to 2700fps out of a 30-06.

Just a quick look in my reloading manuals and I see you will be hard pressed getting a 200gr bullet to get anywhere close to 2700fps out of a 30-06.

I thought so too until I read somewhere that somebody (don't recall who) was pushing 200 grainers around 2800. Maybe he had a very long barrel???

I went mule deer hunting and hiked up and down mountains for 2 days with my Tikka CTR 6.5 Creedmoor in a KRG Bravo Chassis and it wasn’t bad at all. I have a Leupold VX5HD 3-15 and dialed to 300 yards after ranging this Mule Deer hit him right where I was aiming which give me confidence to make shots even further.

4EEBE06D-E42D-47A4-B1F5-BE42183262AD.jpeg
06D11DBE-144E-4B97-B391-4E7105D7A39C.jpeg
8382E63F-79D7-4A6C-82DF-2D92F23E3016.jpeg

Reactions: TheChief and Wyzrd
+1 for a Tikka or Sako. My wife and I both hunt with Tikka's and I just got her A TRG. Out of the box the Tikka's are hard to beat and they've got a ton of aftermarket support.

I just bought a tikka ctr 20 inch creedmoor for hunting whitetail this year. Its a tack drver. I hunt mostly from blinds.

If I was going to be hunting like you are I would go tikka lite in your preferred caliber. The stock isn't bad but if the plastic doesn't suit you there are many aftermarket stocks.

If you're going for a true mountain rifle, it's hard to beat a Tikka Lite or Superlite. The Barrett Fieldcraft is another good option. Since this would be a lightweight rifle with no muzzle brake, I'd go with the 6.5 CM. Follow up shots from field positions should be easier with that and it will be enough for deer and sheep.

I thought so too until I read somewhere that somebody (don't recall who) was pushing 200 grainers around 2800. Maybe he had a very long barrel???

Check the reloading section. Most classic hunting bullets have long bearing surfaces which limit speed. Combine this with SAMMI pressure for the 30-06 being 60k psi (old 1903’s being the reason I think?), as opposed to 30-06 based cartridges like 270win being 65k, and the reloading manuals are a bit slow.

Add in a good chamber and 208 elds at 2750 out of 22” barrels with 4350 is pretty common in posted loads. RL-22 is the classic speed powder, but some guys are getting even better results from RL-17.

MontanaMarine and USSR on the old ‘hide put the ‘06 back on the map with RL-22 a few years back. 190gr SMKs at 2900fps...

There are a lot of good suggestions here.

On other threads, I've extolled the virtues of the Ruger American Predator in .308 Win.

Its a 6.2 lb rifle (naked). Its under $450.

It is a very unsexy choice, especially here where a good number of the membership here burns thousands on each of their riggs, but its lights out accurate and lightweight.

Outfitted propperly, it can stay under 8 lbs, scoped.

Mine harvested two elk this year with two shots from 100 to 300 yards.

I bought mine after taking out my 13lb. main bolt rig and I knew I needed something lighter to port around the mountains.

Reactions: WoobieJ
Currently in the middle of building a rig for a similar scenario. Found a used model Seven for $350, getting a new #3 barrel spun up for it in 7-08 and a B&C Alaskan stock heading this way. Current total is around $1,200 without an optic and going through a buddy for the gunsmithing. Fairly inexpensive custom build which should fit the bill for weight and target animals. Should have it in hand here in about a month and will get a total weight for you.

+ 1 for Tikka Ctr. I love everything about mine, even down to the plastic stock. 6.5 CM with a Nightforce SHV and I'm comfortable taking whitetail out to 400 yards easy. I'm not a mountain guy but I do plenty of walking with mine and it's pretty light in my book. Bottom line is, something goes in the freezer every time I pull the trigger.

Haha, you said need.

I used to tell my ex the same thing.
I'm remarried and I just tell my wife I'm gonna buy a new gun cause I want it.
The latest was just a M&P in 9mm. I was showing her as I was entering the info for purchase and she said: "I'll pay for it so I can get the points on my card".
I tried to pay her back but she wouldn't take the money.

Like @45.308 pointed out, I also went through the horsepower/magnum craze in the 80s-90s.
Bought all the way up to the 375 H&H.
Sold all of them by '04.
My last two hunts were with my dad's 280 and my CZ 527 6.5 Grendel.

Reactions: Stooxie
Haha, you said need.

I used to tell my ex the same thing.
I'm remarried and I just tell my wife I'm gonna buy a new gun cause I want it.
The latest was just a M&P in 9mm. I was showing her as I was entering the info for purchase and she said: "I'll pay for it so I can get the points on my card".
I tried to pay her back but she wouldn't take the money.

Sounds like Wife v2.0 is a keeper.

-Stooxie

If your still looking Bergara just came out with 2 new rifles.Premier Highlander 7.7lbs and Premier mountain 6.3lbs. I have one of each on order. They look fantastic and bergara always shoot well

Reactions: SonicBurlap
One commercial rifle not mentioned that fits one of the calibers you've listed (6.5 Creed) weighs in at 5.75 pounds. I can positively speak for the rifle, just not in 6.5 Creed As mine are chambered in 6.5-300 and 240 Weatherby.

The Weatherby MarkV ultralight is a very austere terrain friendly gun, it has a quality composite stock, a stout action, and a pencil barrel and almost un- noticed as being part of your gear, its that light.

It has one major downfall imho, " it has to be zero'd cold bore". There is no way around that, not atleast from my bench observations and experiences with both my rifles. The dimunative contour barrel is very susceptible to wandering as it get hot with repetitive firing. The first shot is dead-nutz accurrate, a second shot follow up is will be under a MOA at yards, after that they start to open up.

when you shave weight in a rifle it's obviously going to pronounce what otherwise might be subtle or unnoticable changes. The MarkV ultralight is a very slow fire platform, but you seldom get more than two shots when going after sheep or goats and weight is indeed a critical issue walkingg up and down those mountains!