• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a new scale.

hangingchads

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2006
Las Vegas (Henderson) Nevada
I need suggestions for a good scale.

I was throwing .308 loads today and looking at the load in the case it just didn't look right and so I tried, tried, and tried again with my electronic and its pretty much junk now. I got a cheap electronic scale for some dumb reason when I started reloading 5 years ago and has served me fine till now (total luck I am sure) and need to do it right.

I am thinking about another electronic scale but I really am getting annoyed at electronic and prefer to get something more reliable which obviously is mechanical.

I am looking at the RCBS model 502. Would this serve me well or is there something cheaper better?

Thanks for the info.

Re: Need a new scale.

The beam scales work great, and are very accurate and consistant (when on a level surface). But they are slower to use. I use an Accu-Lab 123 scale along with my Chargemaster. It works great and is very fast. It's accurate to .02 grains. I don't turn it off, and it stays consistant. You can get them for around $220-$250.

The Dillon beam scale is a little cheaper than the RCBS 502. It is a three-poise design versus the 502's two poise design.

Is there anyway to get the dillon online other than through dillon? I am looking at some stuff I need at midway and they are the only ones I have found that ship flat rate to Hawaii and every where else is going to rape me on shipping charges.

Denver Instruments MXX-123 <= Two thumbs up!!!

Why measure to .10 gr when you can measure to .02 gr
smile.gif

For best results it will need to be on suppressed power strip, level hard surface and no wind/drafts.

~Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The beam scales work great, and are very accurate and consistant (when on a level surface). But they are slower to use. I use an Accu-Lab 123 scale along with my Chargemaster. It works great and is very fast. It's accurate to .02 grains. I don't turn it off, and it stays consistant. You can get them for around $220-$250. </div></div>

When you get the chargemaster look for some of the posts as to how to speed them up and it only improves this setup.

So electric or mechanical? I don't have the money for a chargemaster at this juncture. I really don't have any money at all but my reloading is halted by my scale breaking and so I need one. I prefer to spend only a $100 at most.

What about the RCBS RangeMaster? Reliable enough to use with no backup scale?

Look on Egay for a Lyman M5, its a old style 10-10, I picked mine up for 20 bucks delivered.

redding scale is similar to the dillon if not the same, good scale for the price, would recomend a set of weight checks also.