• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Need a pocket carry gun 400$ or less

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
Hey guys,

Summer is all but here and I really need a pocket carry gun. Carrying an m&p 9c iwb is going to be rough when its 90+ degrees. If I cant wear either a large tee shirt (I hate baggy clothes) and/or a long sleeve button up shirt over it I feel like I print too much. So, need something for pocket carry. Id need to be able to carry is normal size pockets. I dont have many pants with small pockets. I can fit my 9c in all my pants pockets, no way Im carrying like that, just a reference for the pocket size. I know a guy with a ruger LCP, only shot it a few times, didnt really care for it. I distinctly remember really struggling to hit a paper plate at 10 yards. I think the long trigger pull had alot to do with that, I dont mind that weight, but my fingers are pretty long and that trigger pull is too long for my fingers. I know Galloway makes a trigger kit that lets you adjust where the trigger breaks. I have no qualms about modifying a carry gun trigger. I think the whole "mess with a stock trigger and you'll get sued if you use it in a SD situation" is BS. Youre gonna get sued if you have to use a gun in public, and you shoot someone else because of a crappy trigger. Anyway, So I wouldnt mind getting the ruger, and spending 50$ on the trigger kit. The other option would be the s&w bodyguard 380. Similar gun, has a manual safety (wouldnt use), and a slide lock back feature. The slide lock feature is appealing. I do plan on carrying a spare mag, they're so small you might as well carry a backup, and the slide lock would help in reloading. On the ruger id just shoot till it goes "click" then reload, rack the slide, same way Id do it from slide lock, just with more force. I thought about a J frame, but they look bulky compared to the thin 380s. I thought 38sp would have better terminal ballistics than 380, but out of a 1.87inch barrel I hear theyre about the same. Alot of the small 380s seem to be spotty, Kahr, Kel-tec, Diamondback. Is ruger really the best option?

Thanks guys.

I don't like the LCP because of the lack of grip. I stepped up to the LC9 and haven't looked back. I don't mind the long trigger pull.

I don't like the LCP because of the lack of grip. I stepped up to the LC9 and haven't looked back. I don't mind the long trigger pull.

Theres alot of things I dislike about the LCP. Grip, trigger, caliber, and sights. Its a pocket gun, everything about it is compromised for size. I work with a guy who has an lc9. I dry fired it, dont think it would fit in my pocket too well. I already have a 9mm that wont fit in my pocket, I dont need another.

Have you seen the new M&P Shield? Little difficult to find but seems like a winner.

Look for a S&W 642 or 442, add an Apex Trigger kit and don't look back. I tried all of the 380s but never got the reliability that made me feel comfortable carrying any of them.

My edc is a S&W Bodyguard. I keep an extra mag in a horizontal web holster on my belt. Blends right in with the belt. Carry the pistol in a pocket holster. You can hardly tell its there. I have big hands and had to work on fine tuning my grip for accuracy. I use Hornady defense ammo in it. Havent had any problems out of it except for some cheap fmj causing a feed problem. Just keep it clean and lubed. It picks up alot of lint and dust traveling in your pocket every day. Long trigger pull, but you get used to it after a while. If I shoot it then go to my Glocks or XDM it makes them feel like a hair trigger! LOL...

Also give the Sig's a look p239 & p938, 380acp & 9mm.

I forgot the $400 limit but they are nice little pistols.

Last edited:
Look for a S&W 642 or 442, add an Apex Trigger kit and don't look back. I tried all of the 380s but never got the reliability that made me feel comfortable carrying any of them.

My wife carries a 649, the shrouded hammer version. DA/SA, I got it hardly used at all for about $400 out the door at a gunshow and it is a pre-lock version (say what you want, but I JUST saw a new 686+ 6" at PX and it is by FAR less well made than the older pre-lock revolver of the exact same model, much rougher and less attention to detail). She loves it, her 649, and carries it everyday in her Coronado purse. BUT it is a heavy revolver, big chunk of stainless steel.

I noticed you mentioned the Airweight 642, which is the aluminum .38spcl. version of the 640? The 640 is all stainless, DA only, no hammer. But, like the 649, fires .357 mag.

Now what I have is the 340PD. Note first off that nobody thinks it is "okay"; they either love it or hate it. It is essentially the 642, but with a scandium frame and a titanium cylinder and it handles .357 mag just like the 640. They make another version, the nightguard? Those have the scandium frame but stainless cylinders, which I'm sure helps to mitigate recoil, which I must admit, is quite fierce. The nightguard line comes in many different calibers and such, and I think they have XS tritium sights out of the box.

However, I can't think of a better pocket revolver than this 340PD, and it is exactly what I bought this tool for. I'm not fond of pocket autos myself; they are usually .380's and the nice looking 9mm Rorbaugh isn't meant to be used. 340PD actually weighs just an about an ounce more than their all aluminum .22 snub, the 317, and is even the same size and uses some of the same holsters, but this super light J-frame is in.357, not .22! I have, no shit, and on several occasions, forgot that I had that damn revolver in my pocket when I took my pants off the night before. Kind of ashamed of saying that, but it illustrates just how light it is. But that light weight translates into recoil of course. And to be honest, I've never fired a handgun with more recoil than this one and many agree with me; recoil is akin to getting hit in the hand hard with a stick, it jars it that hard, that fast. You can't shoot it much full power, but at close range with .357, it is a damn serious CCW weapon for very light clothing/pocket carry. If you reload and handload though, 140 and 158 gr. bullets loaded soft, and .38spcl. rounds done the same, are very manageable for practice. I prefer 125gr. Speer Gold Dots, .357 mag factory loads for carry, though my buddy strongly prefers a good .38spcl.+P. Due to the recoil and lack of a large handloading community, you should be able to pick one up very lightly used for a good deal, as many people realize it isn't for them. So try one out first if you can to see if it is for you, but try weak specials for practice as well as full power .357 for comparison.

It really has no contenders in my mind for what it does, and compared to the 642, you can get it lighter (340PD) or a bit heavier with the stainless cylinder model, and it will fire the specials just like the 642, but .357 as well, lending it more flexibility. Usually, I prefer to carry a .40 or 10mm mini-Glock in a VM2 Milt Sparks holster for a CCW, but I also use this for backup now and again, or for just taking a stroll around the block or going to the store and back. I love my 340PD, would never sell it, but I also know it is a specialty tool.

Good luck with whatever you choose, that is my .02, and I bought mine the year it came out (I think) and like I said, I'd never let it go. I plan on one day getting the .44 mag .4" scandium/titanium model for walking in the forest, where weight is an issue. Too bad they didn't make these a long time ago, a 340PD pre-lock model with a butter smooth trigger would have been nice indeed. Accuracy isn't bad at all at close range for where it was intended either.

Oh, their custom shop also makes some special scandium models of several types through the years. I recall one .45ACP with a 1-7/8" bbl.

Hey guys,

Summer is all but here and I really need a pocket carry gun. ... I thought about a J frame, but they look bulky compared to the thin 380s. I thought 38sp would have better terminal ballistics than 380, but out of a 1.87inch barrel I hear theyre about the same. Alot of the small 380s seem to be spotty, Kahr, Kel-tec, Diamondback. Is ruger really the best option?

Thanks guys.
The J-frame really prints much less than you would think. It's my regular choice for pocket carry in Florida.

Don't lump the Kahr in there with the Kel-tec and Diamondback as it's superior in most every way. The PM9/CM9 is used by many for pocket carry and is a reliable accurate shooter, besides being a 9mm. However, you're not likely to find one for $400 or less.

Of all the choices you mentioned, one of these two are my recommendations.

LCP is point and click, and the range will realistically be 3 feet NOT a tacticool 50 yard shot across a mall food court. If you don't like 380 then check out a Keltec PF9 if you can find one.

I am a fan of the LCP with a raven concealment Pocket holster

whatever you decide practice practice practice

S&W bodyguard .380 is a nice pistol for the money. Never had a malfunction with any ammo yet, even magtech. Only complaint is the long heavy trigger pull and long reset. But what else can you expect from a pocket ccw.

The LCP is certainly a compromise. However it is small and fits in a pocket very well. That is its main strength. Also it is surprisingly accurate. I can nail the shit out of things with it. Most people can't shoot pistols worth a fuck anyway so this one won't improve there hit ratio.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

I went from a Kel-Tec .32 to a Kel-Tec .380 to a S&W Bodyguard .380 and switched to a Kahr CM9 last year. The Kahr is just a tad longer and taller than the Bodyguard, but is easily carried in a pocket. I think I paid $399 plus tax for mine.

YMMV,

Chris

Spend $200 on a 9mm Makarov with the single stack mag. Proven reliability as well as tough ass little gun. I enjoy carrying mine and it is accurate if you are looking for a good one in my opinion.

I pocket carry a Sig 938, which is a little out of your budget. If you look hard enough you can find the P238 on sale for $449, which would put you head and shoulders above the LCP, TCP, or KelTec offerings. Out of the polymer pistols on the market, I like the Taurus TCP for the fact the it actually has a slide lock and seems to fit my hand a little better. I carried a TCP for a couple years before buying the P238 and ultimately the 938.

I didn't even think about a Mak, but where do you get them for 200 bucks now a days? I know the east german ones go for 5 or 6 hundred
The only downside is the weight

DING DING DING we have a winner. This is my next summer carry pistol, 6 glocks later....

I looked at 38s today. I couldnt find a single one that I thought was small enough for pocket carry. Looked at the LCR, s&w 638, 442, and a DB 380. I just looked at the DB because no one had a LCP instock and that was the closest thing to compare it to. I dont see how you could conceal a 38 in your front pocket, they all seemed very bulky for pocket carry. I was wearing Levis today. I wouldnt say they have the biggest pockets, but I have no problem carrying a 4 inch (thats folded) knife, old (fat) cell phone, and keys all the time. Might have to get the LCP. I was hoping I could get a revolver, but I think today my options shrunk considerably.

If the OP weren't so completely stuck to the in-the-pants-pocket requirement for a summer gun, his horizons would broaden significantly. CZ-83s are great little pieces and commonly well under $400 ... just not pocket friendly.

I have a Kahr P380 as my pocket carry when my HK P30 prints too much with certain t-shirts. No bigger than my wallet, accurate, and has been really reliable. Just make sure you clean it regularly, as previously mentioned it picks up some lint and gunk hanging out in a pocket. If you want a 9mm, the CM9 isn't much bigger. Sure the Kahr's trigger pull is a tad long, but it's really smooth and breaks predictably/consistently.

If the OP weren't so completely stuck to the in-the-pants-pocket requirement for a summer gun, his horizons would broaden significantly. CZ-83s are great little pieces and commonly well under $400 ... just not pocket friendly.

Explain another mode of carry for 90+ degree heat, shorts, and tucked in shirts. That cz doesnt look much smaller than my 9c anyway.

It's hard to beat a good J-frame S&W for pockets, purses, etc. I'm kinda fond of my 340PD, very light, very little print.

Explain another mode of carry for 90+ degree heat, shorts, and tucked in shirts. That cz doesnt look much smaller than my 9c anyway.

Knowing the conditions under which you intend to carry and your sartorial limitations/preferences helps to refine recommendations. Personally, I don't find myself wearing tucked-in shirts that often, but when I do, I either employ a holster than lends itself to being under a tucked shirt, or I make do with pocket carry. In summer weather, one important criterion is the material with which the pistol is constructed, another being whatever finish it may have. i prefer stainless steel in summer, in any case, or at least a pistol that may suffer a bit of exposure to moisture and salt without producing great concern on my part. At any rate, summer carry requires greater care in occasional maintenance.

Knowing the conditions under which you intend to carry and your sartorial limitations/preferences helps to refine recommendations. Personally, I don't find myself wearing tucked-in shirts that often, but when I do, I either employ a holster than lends itself to being under a tucked shirt, or I make do with pocket carry. In summer weather, one important criterion is the material with which the pistol is constructed, another being whatever finish it may have. i prefer stainless steel in summer, in any case, or at least a pistol that may suffer a bit of exposure to moisture and salt without producing great concern on my part. At any rate, summer carry requires greater care in occasional maintenance.

I dont like to tuck shirts in either, but my employer insists on us tucking in our shirts. If I could carry one, id like to get one of those aluminum and stainless steel s&w j frames.

Callen, it's true that you have to reconsider what pants you wear to be able to pocket carry a j-frame, but believe me when I say that thousands of guys do it every day. Tight jeans with short pockets? No way.

You have to evaluate exactly where your priorities lie and what your life restrictions are and then adjust your carry weapon and method accordingly. As you are seeing, there is no "one answer" for the question you are facing. All we can offer are suggestions and then you have to do the legwork and try things out until you find what your solution is.

Good luck.

I dont like to tuck shirts in either, but my employer insists on us tucking in our shirts. If I could carry one, id like to get one of those aluminum and stainless steel s&w j frames.

Be careful of that for which you wish. Lightweight J-frame (Airweight, Airlite, Scandium, however they're branding it this year) revolvers, while they tend to sag pockets much less, convey punishing recoil. My recommendation is usually for something slightly more substantial in frame, or less substantial in caliber, such as an SP-101 from Ruger, or perhaps even a S&W 940, although neither of these are $400 propositions.

OP if a J frame is too big it is because of the type of pants you wear and the limitations of the pockets.

If your shirt is untucked a J-frame rides in the waist band (no holster) perfectly

If you carry a Glock or an MP a VanGuard 2 from Raven is outstanding with your shirt untucked. I carry a chopped 17. Most of the time I don't wear an undershirt - the weapon is just against my skin. (Hint - grind off the lanyard loop for greater comfort) VanGuard 2

Lastly - summer / long pants / tucked in shirts is synonymous with 'ankle holster' - which I carry a G26 or a J frame in (I like Alessi)

For running I carry my Scandium J Frame in a neoprene holster that I made (rentention created by form fitting to the J Frame w/ a nice wide strap around my back and velcro fastening) under my shorts. I run with this 3 days a week and up to 8 miles a day. Point is - I always wanted this holster but no one offered it commercially, if the method of carry isn't out there - make it yourself.

Last edited:
Smith 638 would work, I'd imagine. I would respectfully submit that I think your carry methods need to evolve a little bit. With a little tweaking and testing several options are open regardless of exactly what firearm you carry.

Ankle carry is a good option if you find the right rig and the weapon is small/light enough. Some people find this very uncomfortable and I've never liked the lack of speedy deployment. But, rule#1 is have a gun.

A tuck-able IWB is an excellent option, imho. I've seen this option work for several friends and myself. When shirt tucked in (as we rarely do, but have to sometimes) one of my friends just carries his phone case over or in front of the exposed belt clip to keep from drawing attention. It draws attention away from the slight bulge as well (he is a bean-pole of a guy carrying a G27 this way). He carries this way all day every day as he works as a salesman to some rich folks who probably don't like guns.

Lastly, pocket carry. I have carried LCP through Glock 19-sized weapons in the pockets of cargo pants. Don't like this method, but it works and is a decent option @ times. I don't feel printing is a huge issue...guys are notorious for carrying stuff in our pockets...why is it suspicious that we have something in our pockets as long as the outline is broken up? Never understood that thought-process.

No way to get the answers without some experimentation.

There is another option if you are wearing pants and not shorts. Ankle holster or if you wear a work boot, some type of holster that would clip in the top of the boot. I have an IWB holster for my bodyguard that clips inside the top of my biker boots if I am looking for a deeper conceal. A little harder to get to but if needed it is within arms reach. Better than leaving it in the vehicle.

J-Frame S&W 442, spring kit and .38 JHP. Five rounds with a speed strip or two. Cargo shorts and untucked HD shirt, to yuppie clothes, I usually carry a G26, but in 90 - 100 degree weather...can't beat it. I actually just bought my 91-year old father and 81-year old mother one, and they love it, so the recoil is not too bad.

As others have suggested, I would try one of the small Kahr 9mm pistols. The CM or CW series. Just my opinion.

I carry the LCP every day. Don't love it but don't hate it either. It is what it is. A very small, concealable pistol that gets the job done. A word of advice though, do NOT shoot +P ammo out of it. I made that mistake and it sheared the takedown pin off........ All in all, get what you're comfortable with.

The Ruger LCR in .357 would be a very good option. It is reasonably small but very easy to carry and you can actually shoot it pretty well when using .38 Special +P ammo.
The Ruger LCP in .380 is smaller but I couldn't shoot it worth anything, maybe the laser option would help.

If you have to have really small the LCP is hard to beat, but if you can use the LCR I think it's a much better option for something to bet your life on when it counts. If you put it in a nice pocket holster it carries really nicely in deep pockets.

I have carried a S&W j frame for 5 or 6 years now every day. I can be carried anywhere, waist, pocket, you name it. Weight is right at 1 pound loaded. Great carry gun.

The M&P shield is another good choice, I just picked one up last week. It is no bigger than my jframe and only a few ounces heavier.

Both of these are over your $400 price point but not by much.

George

I carry an LCP daily in the lunch bucket/pocket. My copy of it is plenty accurate enough (4" group at 15yds, 8" plate at 30yds.) after a little practice with it. We bought another for a family member that wasn't quite as accurate but no matter, it's a 30ft. max. gun in actual use. The wife had a TCP, I wasn't impressed with it at all and she traded it in on an m&p Shield after about 6 months. I've checked out a bunch of others and for the cost/performance/purpose ratio, my LCP is the answer for me in hot weather. I am strongly considering the laserguard for it but that'll be my only change..

I pocket carry an Airweight Smith in situations where holster carry is not feasible. It is light and the shape does not print like the angular outline of a semi auto. As for the punishing recoil it is not a range gun. 38Special +P is very manageable and while 357 does sting I suspect that you would not notice in a social situation.

ruger LCR with the boot grip is a great option. You can grind finger grooves into the boot grip which makes it very comfortable and quite compact. The XS front sight is nice but mine is outfitted with a fiber optic font and the laser grip. a couple 5star speed loaders full of 125 JHP +P and your all set....