• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need a precision rifle

KACstealth

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2011
The north pole
I am looking for advice in what sort of introductory precision rifle i should buy
I am covered in the 556 department with several AR's and one MK12 mod 1
I do not have anything for longer ranges, and this is something that i am interested getting into

Should i get a bolt gun or a gas gun?
I am thinking .308 because of availibility of Ammo and cost effectivness
I am looking to shoot to 1200 yds max

I am not a millionare so obviously price will be a factor, i also would like this rifle to cover all my long range needs for the time being

Thanks in advance,
Joey

Re: need a precision rifle

Your Mk12 has the semi area covered. If I was you, I would look for a good bolt gun. If cost was a factor, look for used bolt gun on here, or look into a LTR.

If you're wanting to get out to 1200yds, the .308 isn't the round I would choose. It will get you there but accuracy will be less than desirable.

Agreed, a bolt gun would be the way to go in terms of a budget.

300 WM would get you to 1200 better than 308. It would also be much easier to find in a pinch than more specialized rounds.

My 27 cents

so what would we consider the greatest effective range on the MK12?
I thnk a bolt gun would be the way to go, and would be more practical

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KACstealth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so what would we consider the greatest effective range on the MK12?
I thnk a bolt gun would be the way to go, and would be more practical</div></div>

As has been said above, seeing as how you already have a semi, get bolt rifle chambered in .300wm and top it with some good glass.

The .300wm will get you to 1200yds without breaking the bank in ammo costs and it's much easier to get ahold of than say 6.5 or 6.8 and much cheaper than .338LM.

If you'll give us an idea of what kinda budget you have, we'd love to help spend your money!
wink.gif

I'd get a inexpensive Remington 700 SPS in .308 Win. and have your gunsmith rebarrel it to a 260 Rem.

so a GAP 10 or LMT MWS does not fit the bill for 1200 yds? most of the time i will be shooting 800 and closer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KACstealth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so a GAP 10 or LMT MWS does not fit the bill for 1200 yds? most of the time i will be shooting 800 and closer </div></div>

400 yard difference is a big stretch ( this is when many .308 loads go subsonic). Many guys (including myself) have taken our gas guns to extended ranges (1100 meters) and have been successful. That 800 and closer is the butter zone for a semi. It comes down to the calibers ability and as stated there are better ballistics/bullets out there. The 7.62/.308 offers a wide selection of bullets with good bc's and are far less expensive then those noted above. Buy a .308 and roll your own. The GAP 10 has a cult following (and for good reasoning) as they are well known for accuracy. Gone are the days when semi's were less accurate. Semi's are just harder to drive but a quality gasser will run with a bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KACstealth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so a GAP 10 or LMT MWS does not fit the bill for 1200 yds? most of the time i will be shooting 800 and closer</div></div>

What will you be shooting that's out to 1200yds? Have you ever shot that far? MANY people don't realize how far 1000yds is, much less 1200yds. A shot at 800yds is a pretty good stretch in itself.

A GAP-10 chambered in .260 will get you to 1200yds but you already have a semi-auto and you can get a good bolt rifle for far less than the cost of a GAP-10 ($3,000).

I have nothing whatsoever against GAP. Hell, I'd like to own one for myself but you first need to determine if you want a bolt or a semi-auto.

The .308 will get you to 1200yds but not as easily or consistently as another caliber such as those which have already been mentioned. That's simply my .02¢ so take it for whatever it is, or isn't, worth.

Best of luck with your decision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KACstealth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the response and time you put into that </div></div>

No problem. Best of luck with your decision (bolt or semi... Both have their perks).

I agree with Killshot, the .308 will go that far, I have even taken mine out to 1500 yards, but the wind will really screw with your rounds at that distance.

I would say 308 since your max is 1200
you could go with more flatter harder hitting rounds but for price and availability 308 works.

You can always find quality ammo, and you can learn on it, sell it and upgrade to the new wizbang 65.x47 or whatever...

It is all about the quality of the shooter. It is possible to hit 308 out to a mile and have it hit like a 45acp, but it is not doable for the average shooter.

Asking about what bullet to use here is the equivalent to asking a bunch of IT dorks what computer to buy for gaming.

I built up a 6.5 creedmoor ar-10 and with glass I think I was close to the 3k range that rifle should perform out to 1400 before it drops trans-sonic/sub-sonic. I plan on taking it out tomorrow to get some range reports on it!

The only thing I've shot over a 1000 yards was a TOW missle. :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conrad101st</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The only thing I've shot over a 1000 yards was a TOW missle. :) </div></div>

No M60? Haha... I'd say your missing out but a TOW missile is pretty sweet...

Actually, I was the OIC for the 101st ABN M60 gun team in the 18th airborne competition in 1992.

I've put an obscene amount of ammo down range with a pig. But I think 800 or 1000 was really the max I shot at with one.

I always tried to put my support position between 400 - 600 yards as a platoon leader. Far enough for a beaten zone but close enough actually see targets and to see where the rounds are hitting in relation to.

Sorry for the hijack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're wanting to get out to 1200yds, the .308 isn't the round I would choose. It will get you there but accuracy will be less than desirable. </div></div>

Truly.

0-800 is what I expect from my .308 AR's.

1200 is a fer piece. Add a little wind, good luck with a .308. My 177's start to go transonic WAY before that, so to me, that's all she's got.

I was talking about this exact topic the other day with some buddies who shoot long range and like Killshot mentioned above, we came to the conclusion, the 300 WinMag in a good stock/optic set up would be the best combo for the 1000-1200 yard range.

I do not have a lot of experience with this particular round, but my buddies who do shoot this caliber really like it for the excellent long range ballistics.

Good action in a Manners stock and a USO/NF scope sounds like a good combo.

Just my thoughts.

+1 for bolt gun. Hard to get the consistency from a semi unless you sink some serious cash. Just the nature of the action.

Besides... You can build a long range bolt gun that will outshoot you everyday for half the cost (minus glass of course).

.300 Win Mag Savage 110 HB for under $400.

10716.jpg

I have the FN PBR and it shoots damn good. Great rifle for the money.