• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Need a proper precision rifle can...

Hollywood 6mm

Old Salt
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
Last year I bought an AAC SDN-6 with the original intent of using it on my SBR'd AR-15. I went with the N-6 to allow for 300 Blackout, 308, etc. as desired. It quickly found its way onto my AAC-SD Remington 700, however, only for me to discover that the SDN-6 really isn't a great can for a precision rifle.... but shooting with the can is way too damn much fun. Plus the milder recoil impulse and straight back recoil is awesome for long range and moving targets.

So, much to my future wife's chagrin, it's time for Stamp #4 - a real PR can. Here's what I know I want:

1) Quick detach. Cleaning with a thread mount can, and trying to travel set up that way doesn't look like much fun, especially after seeing mounting issues with some of the nicer thread mount cans.
2) Repeatability. I want something that I can fire one round, pull the can off, put it back on and put shot #2 in the same hole as number 1. Assuming I'm not over-thinking shit like I usually do, anyway. Mental voodoo tends to get to me.
3) Reasonable price - $1,000, give or take. That's before the stamp, of course.

This can will probably see some use on my AAC-SD, but will likely be seeing a near permanent home on a GAP-trued 700 in 6 Creedmoor that will be coming home with me this year (come hell or high water). I don't see any long actions or magnums in my near future, though, so 308 and under should be fine.

Right now, Mack Bros and TBAC are my two leading contenders. Both are right in my price range (or slightly under), and I have heard great things about both companies. Is there something else out there I should consider?

I have a Mack bros and really like it. Great suppression and very little to zero poi shift. Thunderbeast is also a great can that has proven itself. I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either. Email Gap and ask about the Mack Bros. George seems to really like them

for a precision can, I'm not a fan of QD systems. Its one more thing that can go wrong. Cleaning and maintenance on direct thread cans is not a big deal. Only thing that matters on direct thread setups is that the threads are done right. Regarding the can itself, there's several good choices. I run a TBAC myself, along with a lot of the guys that shoot the Raton matches, and repeatability isn't an issue.

I agree with The-Fly. If precision is your greatest concern go with direct thread. TBAC 30 P1 would be at the top of the list. There may be precision QD's out there, but I've never heard of one that rivals direct for precision and repeatability. Two of the guys in my class at sniper school had QD surefires (not sure which model) and they seemed to be shooting as well as anyone else, and they were taking them off each day.

I love my thunderbeast it puts my shots down less than one mill and doesn't affect group size

There is a third category: "thread over muzzle brake" (TOMB). These are generally not any less repeatable or accurate than the direct thread models.
But they are not true "Quick" attach/detach (which generally has an acme thread or some other "short throw", and a locking mechanism), but do have the advantages of using a muzzle device.

We have our BA and CB series in the TOMB category and these are not any less accurate than the direct-thread P-1's.

There is a third category: "thread over muzzle brake" (TOMB). These are generally not any less repeatable or accurate than the direct thread models.
But they are not true "Quick" attach/detach (which generally has an acme thread or some other "short throw", and a locking mechanism), but do have the advantages of using a muzzle device.

We have our BA and CB series in the TOMB category and these are not any less accurate than the direct-thread P-1's.

I was hoping you'd show up in this thread, Zak.

While I can now see where you draw the technical difference, I was definitely including your brake attached cans as "Quick attach". Specifically, I like the look of the new CB series.

Have you done any testing on the new CBs with 6mm Creedmoor? I'd be interested to know if the shorter CB 30 caliber cans would be able to bring a 24" barreled 6 Creedmoor down to hearing safe, or if I would need to go with the full size can. Since this rifle will be seeing some competition use, I'd love to not wind up with 33+" of barrel and can to sling around, and the reduced weight on the 5" and 7" would be a great bonus.

Using a TBAC 30P-1 direct thread on my AAC-SD. Love it.
If you absolutely have to have a break, look at the offering from TBAC.
I'm personally not a big fan of QD mounts on precision rifles (you'll see when your AAC SDN-6 can starts to rattle loose); however, the direct tread over brake option that TBAC offers is the best of both worlds.

Personally, I wouldn't trust a QD can for long range/precision work. I would go with either direct thread or thread over brake. I have several of TBAC's cans (both kinds) and they are all outstanding. The downside of the thread over brake is that the can/brake is heavier than just a direct thread can. If you really don't have a good reason to have a brake on the rifle, just go with direct thread.

Personally, I wouldn't trust a QD can for long range/precision work. I would go with either direct thread or thread over brake. I have several of TBAC's cans (both kinds) and they are all outstanding. The downside of the thread over brake is that the can/brake is heavier than just a direct thread can. If you really don't have a good reason to have a brake on the rifle, just go with direct thread.

+1

I've also seen direct thread cans work loose during a match, hence my desire for something with a locking like the TBAC or Mack that is less likely to come loose

Sent from the U.S.S. Sulaco

The likelihood of a direct thread/thread over brake cans coming loose is dependent entirely on how they are put on. I had this problem at first, but quickly learned to get them tight enough to stay on and not too hard to get off. I carry a small strap wrench in my shooting bag just in case I get one too tight, but haven't actually had to use it yet. FWIW, I tighten cans using a technique that involves spinning the can quickly in the last ~1/2 turn. The rotational velocity helps put a little more energy into snugging it up against the barrel shoulder without having to really torque on it.

I have the SAS arbitor Tomb. I have never had a problem with it coming loose. I do shoot some competitions but am no professional. Also, i don't under stand the quick detachable, when it is hot you are not going to remove it until it has cooled.
I also have the 7" reaper. But you can tell a sound difference between the two. It is light and I don't notice the 2"s.
Just my 2 cents.

I've been very happy with my Liberty Victory on my 700 PSS 308. It has only a 0.4 mil POI shift that is 100% repeatable, and it's tightened my groups a bit, as well. I've run several hundred rounds through it, slow fire and rapid fire (by bolt gun standards), and I've never had it come even the least bit loose. I have no meter data, but others have commented at how quiet it is compared to other 308 cans, though its 10" length certainly helps that.

I show POI shift, group size, recoil and blast reduction, and flash suppression in this video.

Using a TBAC 30P-1 direct thread on my AAC-SD. Love it.
If you absolutely have to have a break, look at the offering from TBAC.
I'm personally not a big fan of QD mounts on precision rifles (you'll see when your AAC SDN-6 can starts to rattle loose); however, the direct tread over brake option that TBAC offers is the best of both worlds.

I fail to see how the QD mounted suppressors would be "less accurate or even less reliable" then direct thread suppressors. If the QD muzzlebrake/flashider is correctly mounted (whether you use a shim kit or have your smith perfectly time the brake to your barrel for you) there would not be a "HIGHER" chance then the thread on suppressors having a problem. It all comes time to choosing a Great Brand Name to go with that has gone to great lengths to ensure you get the best product you can. The #1 rule in the firearm industry I have learned over the years is the you ALWAYS get what you paid for. If you can't afford something right now but is truly superior, save up for a few more months and get the best!