• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a range finder

jackh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2008
College Station, TX
Leica crf 1000 or zeiss victory prf? I'm looking to spend about this much and I want to buy soon. I don't know anything about the zeiss BIS, but I'm not sure if I need it. Thanks for any advice.

Re: Need a range finder

Between the two definitely the Zeiss. It will range farther and faster than the leica. However I would spend a little more and get the swarovski, its the best on the market for under $2-3K. If you call around you can get them new for $900 and you can find them for $650-800 used. You may also want to look SWFA's sample list.

ive done some more reading and have noticed that the beam on the leica is supposed to be way smaller than the beam on the zeiss, making if more accurate and reliable? i guess a lot of that really depends on how steady you are holding it though

If your not holding it steady it's easier to get your reading back with a larger beam. The problem with a larger beam is if your ranging through something like brush or tree limbs your more likely to have it hit off one and come back. That said I had a PRF for a fews months and the beam size never gave me a problem, in fact I've never had a problem with beam size with any of the LRF's I've used. What I've found is if you have a big enough hole to put you bullet through by time you factor in the arch for elevation and side to side to wind then you won't run into any problems with the beam fitting through the same hole.

How I judge a rangefinder is quality, performance, and glass quality last. I've never taken beam divergence in consideration because it's never give me a problem in any way. I care about how reliable it is as far as working every time and ranging consistently/accurately, and how far and fast it ranges.

I had no problem hitting non reflective targets with the PRF to 1200 yards and reflective ones to 1500. My Swaro on the other hand reliably ranged non reflection targets to 2K.

I had a Leica 1200 (the old one) and a CRF 1600 for a short time and I wasn't too impressed with either. The 1200 was slow and really didn't range that far (couldn't hit deer passed about 400 yards) and the 1600 seemed to do better and would range well to its claimed distances (but not much further like the Zeiss and Swaro) but I dumped it because a lot of people who got them right after they came out like me were having issues so I sold it before I had issues.

my ziess is great, in central california though in the summer where everything is brown, i was trying to range some tuly elk that i saw near my shooting spot ( i didnt have my binocs and i sure as hell wont point my rifle at them...if fish and game were to see me pointing a weapon at them it would be over) it was hard to get a reading due to all the dull brown grass and brown fur...plus it was about 800-1000 yards away..but other than that i love them...i used them alot during archery season

i was comparing the Ziess Victory T prf, the Leica CRF 1600 and the swarovski .

the swarovski i didnt like because it was huge compared to the other two, and it was slow to read and just generally didn't work as well as the other two.

these two are the ones that im trying to compare -

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/898277/...r-8x-26mm-black

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/763492/...finder-7x-black

I have read some back and fourth reviews on them.

Do you have somewhere you can try both out? I don't have a place like that near me so I just have to order and hope I guess.

right now I am leaning towards the leica, so thats what I would suggest. I have looked through all three but other than playing with them in the store, i dont have any experience with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone else? seems like a lot of ppl prefer the zeiss over the leica in this price range </div></div>

the only thing bad i found about the leica was the price really, it was smaller lighter and ranged faster.

I have the Zeiss PRF. I've ranged black and yellow lab dogs and deer out to 500 yards very repeatably many times.

Just personal preference, but I liked the way the Zeiss felt while holding it and using it over the Leica.

If memory serves me correctly, the warranty was better on the Zeiss - haven't needed it though.

I'd buy another Zeiss without a second thought. Has worked flawlessly for my uses.