• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need a Scope for 10/22 at 100 and 200 yards

JesseM

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2017
I'm new here and prior to this I've mostly focused on my pistol shooting because I've only recently as of this last year gained access to a rifle range; so I'm new to the whole idea of shooting at longer ranges so be gentle. I'll fill this out. Let's see how it goes.
  • What is the platform for the scope? Semi Auto Ruger 10/22
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 22LR
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Benchrest, Target, NRL22 matches
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Exclusively daylight but daylight in the Pacific Northwest is maybe lower than some other people's daylight.
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? The rifle range I will do most of my shooting at has fixed target berms at 25 yards, 100 yards, and 200 yards. Other than sighting it in at 25 yards I expect to be shooting at 100 yards until I get good then I'll try 200.
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? No requirements on weight, I was told I should learn Mil-Rad by a friend. I like the Christmas tree style of reticle.
  • What is the price range you can afford? Honestly I hesitant to list a price because when I've asked this question elsewhere online I've run into difficulty when I did. I tell them I want to spend X and I've been told "You can't get what you want for that." which is irritating because they don't tell me how much I have to spend to get what I want. Like if I say X and you tell me what I want is going to cost X+25% then ok cool I'll spend X+25% but if you tell me X+400% then I guess I'll give up on the idea and settle for whatever junk I can get for X so rather than say I'm willing to spend X how about we phrase it this way
    • What's the least I can spend to get something good?
    • What's the best bang for the buck middle?
    • How much do I have to spend to get something that makes me moist?

As a bit of info I looked through someone's SWFA fixed 16x scope today at the range and it was less clear than I'd have liked which leads me to believe I'm going to need to spend more than $300 to get a scope I'll like.

Last edited:
To get a Christmas tree reticle and decent glass in your price range i'd say look at athlon. I don't have any first hand experience with them, but people around here seem to like them for the money. They have a few feature packed models in the $500-$600 range. I've thought about trying one on my 22lr.

I'd second Athlon would be a good place to start. Lots of value there! Also have a look at Vortex Optic's offerings. Both have excellent warranties and customer service.

If you truly intend to concentrate on mostly target shooting, take a look at Sightron as well.

Since you state most shooting will be at known fixed distances, you might be well served by a fixed power, second focal plane (SFP) scope. However, if you think you might expand to shooting unknown, longer range distances, with perhaps another higher powered rifle, you might want to consider a variable power first focal plane (FFP) scope right from the start. This would give you a bit extra flexibility at only slightly higher cost.

Welcome to the forum Jesse!
Athlon, Sightron, Weaver Tactical are all good starting places.

I bought one of the cheaper Athlon scopes for my 10/22 and cannot recommend it. Very tight eye box makes it not comfortable to get behind and the parallax knob is really hard to adjust.

I have the 4-14 BTR for my PCP air rifle, and would suggest it for your purpose. Not sure which ones have a "tight eye box", but I suspect its the ones with 24 or 32 on the top end, and its to be expected on a high mag cheap scope.

I'd second Athlon would be a good place to start. Lots of value there! Also have a look at Vortex Optic's offerings. Both have excellent warranties and customer service.

If you truly intend to concentrate on mostly target shooting, take a look at Sightron as well.

Since you state most shooting will be at known fixed distances, you might be well served by a fixed power, second focal plane (SFP) scope. However, if you think you might expand to shooting unknown, longer range distances, with perhaps another higher powered rifle, you might want to consider a variable power first focal plane (FFP) scope right from the start. This would give you a bit extra flexibility at only slightly higher cost.

Not sure what else there is to do aside from target shooting with a 22 but I don't hunt. I can shoot prone and standing at the range I go to but I think I have to get good at shooting from a bench before I try any of that.

Whatever I get for this gun I'd leave on this gun. There are ranges around where I can shoot out to 600 yards but I can't see myself going there as I'd never been there yet. Maybe if I get good enough that 200 yards with a 22 is easy I'd give it a go but if my rifle shooting improves at the same speed as my pistol shooting did that's a few years away.

I bought one of the cheaper Athlon scopes for my 10/22 and cannot recommend it. Very tight eye box makes it not comfortable to get behind and the parallax knob is really hard to adjust.

By tight eyebox you mean the eye relief is small? Or rather that it has a very small range where it works well?

In the current market for budget precision rifle scopes, I wouldn't trust anything other than a SWFA of some sort. The 3-15 model would be perfect for your needs and is a very durable and repetable scope.

I didn't list a price range and 3 of y'all are assuming I'm looking a specific price. It's kind of frustrating even more so when I spend a good portion of that first post calling that out as something I find irritating.

By tight eyebox you mean the eye relief is small? Or rather that it has a very small range where it works well?[/QUOTE]

The range is tight and just uncomfortable to use due to eye fatigue. I had high hopes from all the Athlon reports I'd heard but I was disappointed. Again, it was a cheaper model so maybe some of the more expensive ones are better.

I didn't list a price range and 3 of y'all are assuming I'm looking a specific price. It's kind of frustrating even more so when I spend a good portion of that first post calling that out as something I find irritating.

We don't get many females around here so you will have to excuse us for not being able to read your mind. I mean, at least give us a ballpark. Are you looking for something in the $500 range, $1,000 range, or $3,500 range? Every shooter has different opinions of what's "good enough" so you have got to help us out a little more.

You get what you pay for. If you don't give us a budget, we think budget rimfire gets a $300 SWFA/Athlon 4-14 or you get the guys running NF on their Anschutz. You don't list anything about the 10/22 so I assume it is a bog standard off the shelf 10/22 which might have average accuracy potential. That means I expect lower end budget for glass.

If your budget is $300, then we will stick close to that. Sure a x+400% will be a better scope, but we normally keep it realistic around here. If you can spend the money, I like the SWFA 3-15. Not sure if it will have the glass you desire. I think Athlon has some interesting offerings though so I would check those out if they are in your budget. The Ares catches my eye often.

Finicky to some might be perfectly fine for another depending on their weld and positioning. The NF 2.5-10x24 is extremely picky to some on 10x, yet I find it easy to get behind as an example.

Last edited:
Built two 10/22's for my nephews, they both have the BSA 4-14 midway special on them. Works great and there is enough travel to dial out to 300 yards.

Since a budget isn't on the table, buy the best of the best that money can buy in like a 4-16 or something.. I really like my NF 4-16 ATACR F1, but it doesn't have a tree reticle... Actually for what your trying to do, look at the Vortex PST gen2 3-15x44, it has a tree reticle and is about the right mag range for your 22.. You will get better help around here with a known budget to spend, and being snappy with the guys your asking to help you won't get you shit around here... Good luck..

Since a budget isn't on the table, buy the best of the best that money can buy in like a 4-16 or something.. I really like my NF 4-16 ATACR F1, but it doesn't have a tree reticle... Actually for what your trying to do, look at the Vortex PST gen2 3-15x44, it has a tree reticle and is about the right mag range for your 22.. You will get better help around here with a known budget to spend, and being snappy with the guys your asking to help you won't get you shit around here... Good luck..
The pst 2 3-15 is what I'm putting on my CZ 455 trainer that I'm picking up tomorrow. My main reason for going with that scope is I have the same scope on my Tikka 260 but 5-25. They are nice scopes for right around $900-1000 and mine has been great and tracking dead on for about 3 months now. I own multiple Vortex optics and only 1 had to go back for warranty because of a defect, and another replaced because I personally broke it. They stand behind there product and their warranty is top notch.

The mext beat option would would be the SWFA 3-15x44 ffp, I looked through a friends and they are nice scopes and he said his tracks spot on as well. They are a few hundred cheaper than the pst 2 yet they have more elevation and windage which is a plus for a 22 lr optic.

Don't forget about IOR, best Mil Spec optics known to man, built specifically to handle the recoil of the 22LR... Not to mention the Schott glass...

You're the one that mentioned spending more than $300. We suggested scopes as close to that number as possible that fit your requirements. If money is no object just buy any scope that costs over $2,000 that you like. You won't be disappointed. I wonder why you get frustrated with people online...

You moved from Southern Maryland to the PNW close to a place to shoot 600 and you only picked up a 22LR?

To answer your questions:
What's the least I can spend to get something good?

SWFA will get the job done. I would recommend the 10x or 12x. Are you sure the diopter and parallax were set correctly on the 16x you looked through? While its not exactly the pinnacle of optical clarity, it should have looked decent to someone without a lot of experience behind good glass.

What's the best bang for the buck middle?
Lot of debate on this one. Several are: PST Gen2, Burris XTR2, Sig Tango 4/6. I would look to see if I could find an older Tango 6. I've seen them heavily discounted recently

How much do I have to spend to get something that makes me moist?
$2000 at least. That will get you into the Gen 2 Razors, Steiner Military, etc.

Honestly I recommend revisiting the SWFA. There are also the 3-9 and 10 HD versions for a little more money but a significant jump in quality.

For my 10/22 NRL22 match rifle I mounted an Athalon Argos BTR 6-24 scope. It is adequate in most aspect when dialed up to 20X. At $369 it is a serviceable scope for what a 22lr cartridge is capable of doing. As with anything else you can move up through the other different models of Athalon scopes to better or really just more solid features (more solid turrets, more forgiving parallax and eye box at higher magnification). The same can be said as the price increases and you step into optics by Vortex. If you have $1,100 in your pocket then look into a PST II.

Higher magnifications are nice because in the world of competition 22 the target sizes can become fairly small at times, especially bencherest type shooting. This is usually single target locations so speed of target acquisition becomes less of an issue and seeing 1/4" targets is a challenge at times. NRL22 has KYL targets going down to 1/4" as well. Do a little more research into the features that will be important to you, like a parallax focus going down to 25 yards or less and then go towards companies with good reviews and warranties. As a final opinion though don't try to get down too cheap, like below $300 or you probably will just be disappointed. Understand that most times the optic quality is every bit as important or more so than the rifle that it is mounted on.

Last edited:
I picked up one of the Bartlein 18" bull barrels for my 1022 and it's accurate enough that moderate glass wouldn't serve well. I had a spare Weaver EMDR 3-15 sitting around and until I rotate it out, it serves well. Best option, no, but completely serviceable for the time being, and pretty reasonable new/used. If you intend to shoot inside 50 yds, look for a scope that will handle parallax at that distance. Lots of good glass noted, selection fewer that focus at 25yds. EMDR does not.

Something we've ran into was having a hard time finding a high end scope that could adjust parallax/focus down to 15-25yds. Most high end scopes bottom out their parallax adjustment around 50yds.
US Optics was able to custom adjust the parallax down to 15yds on a MR-10 1.8-10X scope. Works amazing with very clear glass.
The downside to custom adjusting the parallax is that the scope will top off the adjustment to around 500 yards.

Yesterday I won AZ state freestyle in FT and last weekend a friend won our first NRL22, both with the Argos BTR 6-24x50. Nuff said. The Talos BTR is just behind it, though has a better reticle.

But the best scope out there for the money right now is the Athlon Ares 4.5-27x50.

But the best scope out there for the money right now is the Athlon Ares 4.5-27x50.

Steve... Long time.... I may PM you about more info & your experiences with Athlon Scopes. Congrats on your finish! I do have two low end Athlon 6-24's, just haven't had much time behind them twisting knobs... yet.

Craig

You moved from Southern Maryland to the PNW close to a place to shoot 600 and you only picked up a 22LR?

To answer your questions:
What's the least I can spend to get something good?

SWFA will get the job done. I would recommend the 10x or 12x. Are you sure the diopter and parallax were set correctly on the 16x you looked through? While its not exactly the pinnacle of optical clarity, it should have looked decent to someone without a lot of experience behind good glass.

What's the best bang for the buck middle?
Lot of debate on this one. Several are: PST Gen2, Burris XTR2, Sig Tango 4/6. I would look to see if I could find an older Tango 6. I've seen them heavily discounted recently

How much do I have to spend to get something that makes me moist?
$2000 at least. That will get you into the Gen 2 Razors, Steiner Military, etc.

Honestly I recommend revisiting the SWFA. There are also the 3-9 and 10 HD versions for a little more money but a significant jump in quality.

The 200 yard range is private, usually empty and on my way home from work and I'm already a member. The 600 yard range is private with a giant wait list, only certain days open to the public with a long wait on those days and over an hour and a half drive.

not sure i can help but i was able to hit stuff (M16) at 200/300/500 with a iron sights. I think the suggestion to relook at the swfa is possibly correct.
Its not going to look like 2500+ glass but your only looking at 200 yards or so.

other bet is to go see what others are shooting with. i met a couple of guys at my 100 yard locale range and was able to take to them on their experience.

Keep us posted, i'd like to hear what you come up with.

We have a lot of fellas setting up to shoot NRL-22 here in the area, including my shooting /traveling partner. He's built a CZ 455, customized the trigger, sunk some shekels into it. It's a nice build, and very accurate.

He topped it with an Argos BTR, which I think is a pretty nice choice. Especially for the money. As mentioned, it has a very close parallax adjustment, nice reticle, and front focal plane. I think the turrets are nice for it's price point. The only drawback is it takes a pair of channel locks to move the parallax knob. Hopefully it will loosen up, or he may have to exchange it. But I've heard good things about CS, so no one is worried at this point.