• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need a scope for a .223 Varmint AR15

Jeeprider

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2010
PA
Trying to figure what scope to mount on my 20" AR15 Varmint upper it will be used mostly for groundhog shooting 200-400 yard ranges. I was thinking a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14 with the Varmint Hunter reticle. Any input would be much appreciated. looking in the $400-$600 range.

Re: Need a scope for a .223 Varmint AR15

I am in the same boat. The one at the top of my list is the Vortex PST 6-24x50 with the reticle in the SFP. I have an NF with the MLR reticle which is great for the little ground squirrels I shoot so I would like to get my hands on the PST to see if their EBR reticle will work for varmints.

i think the leupy vx3 w var reticle is a great choice as prairie dogs is your primary. the only consideration i have is i like to use same reticle in my varm tubes as my tac tubes for continuity and while im correcting for wind shooting dogs it helps for those days at statics. i just like to practice w same equip for most part as i use on duty

Nikon, Burris, Leupold and others all make scopes that will fit within this price range. There are usually some used ones for sale on here at good deals. I do not think that you need anything over 14x but that is my opinion.

I too don't think you need anything over the 14x. I was lucky enough to go on a hunt last summer. I was shooting a swaro z5 5-25 w/ brx reticle. At 400 yards I never went over or close to 14x. I like the lower power stuff just because it made searching for targets easier so I didn't have to rely on someone to spot and talk me on.

I wish Nikon made a thinner reticle because I really like their magnification ranges in their new monarch scopes.

Just got back from pdog hunting and used a 4.5-14 vx3 on all my rifles. They started out as LR's with duplex's. I sent them back and had the m1 knobs installed and TMR ret. put in.
That TMR came in very handy for the wind we encountered in SD. The crosshair was fine enough to see the prairie dogs at 4/500 which are much smaller than our ghogs here in PA.
Hope ya have secluded spot if your using that AR in our wonderful commonwealth.

i have a leupold mark 4 2.5-8x36 mill dot on my bushy 20" predator. farthest shot ive done is 300yds @ an egg and i can get pretty close and if im lucky i hit it. the 14pwr would be nicer, i won the 8pwr in a raffle so thats what i use.

don't overlook the M223 from Nikon. Don't buy into the BDC reticle, get the Nikoplex and dial your dope. I was pleasantly surprised by mine when I took it out Saturday. The glass is decent the adjustments seemed repeatable and I got it used for $275. I also like that to reset your zero you simply pull up on the turret and spin it and then push it back down.

I'm a reticle guy through and through...with some exceptions. Here's my latest reticle on a 22 Long Rifle Ruger Charger. When 36-40 gr. bullets meet the velocity criteria it is deadly to 200-250 (with addtl. turret comeups beyond the 200-yd. stadia line) on PD's even in some wind--

3-9x22LongRifleRapidReticle.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

www.rapidreticle.com
...and this 3 MOA TK Lee reticle installation in a highly customized "pistol"/Unertl BV-20--

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

I also like this optic (6-18x Nikon BM with mil-dot reticle) as the MD is cald. for 12x and at 18x it's 33% smaller @ 2.4 IPHY between dots and the dot itslef is also 33% smaller at ~1/2 IPHY instead of the std. mrad. ~3/4 IPHY. Turret is 1/8th MOA which i can live with in a PD town. I use reticle for windage and turret for elevation in this 17 Fireball XP-100--

007_7.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phlii</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one at the top of my list is the Vortex PST 6-24x50 with the reticle in the SFP.</div></div>

+1 Excellent scope for the price.

I use aleupy 6.5-20X40 with the Varmint hunters reticle and have been well satified with it. Thaat said I rarely go above 15x unless I am using it for spotting.

I have a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 that has been great. Tracks true, holds zero bouncing around the truck and the glass is good. They run about $300 and come with standard duplex, BDC, or mil-dot article.

My favorite varmint scope: Luppy VXII 6x18 with target turrets,AO. Have 2 of them. Use them on bolt guns, but dont see why they wouldnt work for your application. For the money, I wouldnt use anything else for varminting.