• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need a scope on a budget

Khan004

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
So I'm fairly new to long range rifle shooting, with most of my previous experience being <100 yards, mostly because of the availability of a firing range. I'm looking for a good scope for my rifle that will let me shoot out to 1000+ yrds with fairly good accuracy. I own a Remington 700 chambered for .30-06. I'm also operating on a student's budget here, so I want to stay away from the $2000 scopes. Under $500 would be even better. Any suggestions?

Re: Need a scope on a budget

if you need it now the Mueller APT is an excellent scope...it would work well for most anything.
Dennis at www.mizzoumuleguns.com has them in stock now

The 10x42 S.S. is a proven scope for $300. The Vortex scopes are probably be the cat's ass, but unproven for a little bit. I would recommend staying away from the Chinese whiz bang super cheap scopes. The more features a scope has at the price, the more reliability usually suffers.

I've been reading on some other forums, and I've seen 'Falcon' scopes mentioned several times. Any comments about those?

You can usually find a second-hand Super Sniper for $250 or so. Tough to beat for the price, does everything you need, and you can recoup all your money if you upgrade and sell it later.

Nikon Monarchs can also be had for less than $500, very good scope for the money as well.

I have a buddy who went through two or three of the Falcon scopes with terrible luck. He now owns 2 Super Snipers and loves them. One of them he has on a .300wsm that he has made a hit at a mile with.

I'll end up putting a SS on my .308 since I stole the NF NXS off of it to put on a .300wm.

-X

Thanks, I'm looking into the SS scopes, they look pretty good for the price. Stop me if it's wrong to ask this on this forum, but what woudl be the best way to attach it to my rifle? Like I said before i have a 700. Will I need to get new rings, or should the rings I already have (rifle came with a factory remington scope, piece of crap) work?

WoTac 4-14x50
$329 hard to beat for that price.
wotac2.jpg

Most guys here are going to tell you to stop posting questions and start reading (use the search features).

To give you a brief, fellow "newbie" answer after months of reading and using the search feature...your cheap rings are probably 1 inch rings and you are looking at 30mm tubes so you'll need new rings. Not a bad idea anyway. Burris makes decent entry level rings. So do others. Spend more, get more. Search and read. You might also want to upgrade your base to a 20 moa base. EGW makes a good entry base. If you have Badger money I'd suggest a look. Search and read my friend.

Weavers and Sightrons are widely used by highpower competitors at 600-1000yards. If your budget is tight, you will get much more bang for the buck with a fixed power scope: well under your $500 budget. My 24x Weaver maximizes my ability to hit the target at 1K yards. TPS makes superb rings every bit as good as Badger & Leupold for half the price.

+1 on 3200 bushnell 10x. Under $200 and no problems.

Honestly, don't waste your time or money on Wotac. They suck ass...I've had two of them and they are pure crap. The Gen3 was replaced by a Gen 4 and the Gen 4 wasn't that great either.

For the same money, get an SS and be happy.

Get a 20 moa base and some decent rings like Seekins,Nightforce,Badger,etc.

I bought a Bushnell 4200 3-12x44 FFP that I'm very pleased with for the money.They are $629.Over your budget but money well spent.Mine tracks well,has tactile audible clicks ,has very good glass,is somewhat compact in size and weight,has mil reticle and mil turrets,FFP=first focal plane.I'd rather have it any day than the old SS even though I like them.

Next would be the SS.

Three things I don't like about them.

1.Mil reticle but MOA turrets

2.Fixed power.

3.Glass is OK but no better than good.You don't realize it till you look side by side through a premium scope.

Steve

Well, I would suggest a Primary Arms 4-14x illuminated mil-dot.
there is a good thread on AR15.com about them, I have one and it works very well for the money and is pretty rugid as well.

Thread Linky

I mainly use Burris or Pentax but recently picked up a Konus. I have been really impressed with it. The Glass isn't leupold or Pentax but it is good. I have box tested the 2 that I own and both held 4 5 shot 3/4" groups. I have pics somewhere. I like my Burris glass better but the Konus ain't bad. They have locking turrets, leveling bubble, and SFP reticle. You can pick them up on ebay or at Optics Planet for less the $400.

I didn't want to open a new post, because my question is similar. A different is I bought already a Nikon Monarch 5-20X44 Nicoplex reticle scope. I'm new in this as well so when I bought it I didn't know anything about reticle. Should I get a Mil-Dot Viper instead of Monarch?
I'm planning to shoot on range 200-600 yards , And I will hunt couple times a year at 200/800 yards range. Should I go with Mil Dot or just need to buy a range finder?

+1 on the Bushnell 3200 10X. Mine has performed flawlessly on a couple of different rifles. It tracks perfect and the adjustments are not mushy at all. It ain't my NF, but it ain't bad for the price.

I have also looked through the Falcon. It was not bad either. The adjustments were not as crisp as the Bushnell, but it gives you FFP and a lot more magnification if you are planning to get to 1000 yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seaaggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you need it now the Mueller APT is an excellent scope...it would work well for most anything.
Dennis at www.mizzoumuleguns.com has them in stock now </div></div>

I have one (technically I've owned two) and I like it (actually there are some things about it I like very much), but given my experience with two of them, there is no chance on God's green earth that I'd put one on a 30-06. No way.

Get a Super Sniper 10x.