• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need a Scope!!

bob190e

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2013
Indiana
Hello all
I recently joined and this is my first post. I have been trying to absorb as much information regarding this topic, but also figured I would consult the forum members. I am starting to get into long range shooting. I have a friend with a massive farm in Indiana where we will be shooting. He says we could potentially shoot + - 1,000 yards on this farm. To me 1,000 yards seems to far for a beginner but I would like to try for 500 to 800 with a bolt .308. Now to why I posted I will need a scope that will assist me in doing this. My budget is going to be set at $1,000 for now. Thanks everyone.

I'd take a look at the SWFA line up and see what you like for that price range. I think they have a 3-15x42 that would work for you in FFP

Make a list of all the features that you need, and also what you want, and if you have any personal preferences to a particular brand. Narrow down the very very very long list of manufacturers that cover your needs/wants list. You should probably narrow it down to around 200 or so scopes... seriously.

Once you are there, weed out the ones that don't fit in your criteria for price. After that, you can pick the best of the best from the list of around 20 or so. Then when it is all said and done... go buy a Vortex.

DK

The Sightron SIII scopes are excellent in the under $1000 price range. A 5-25x50mm scope does very well out past 1000 yards.

Get the Tectical style turrets on the Sightron. They are solid and have a great feel to them.

Last edited:
I bought my first bolt gun last October and have been bitten by the long distance shooting bug. I put a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x FFP on my Remington 700 AAC SD. It is a great scope and I've had no problem reaching out to 1000 yds on an 18"x24" steel target.

A Used Bushy DMR G2. Nothing will come close in features, quality and price. Next step up would be a Razor HD, at twice the price.

You should be able to find one around $900-1000. Last one I bought was $800, brand new from a member here.

Thanks for the info everyone. How is the Vortex HS-T 4-16x44? They seem inexpensive and I would then have enough in my budget to also get rings.

New Vortex Viper PST FFP 6-24 sitting on my bench right now ready to mount up on the Savage. SPORTOPTICS for the WIN! They have a ring and shipping deal going sometimes. Call them. Great people. Excellent service.

Thanks for all the recommendations. Im narrowing down the list. Now on to the reticle? Which one of this would work the best? I know slim to nothing about the different ones.

Sightron SIII 6-24 or 8-32 with the LR MOA reticle.
Vortex PST 6-24
Bushnell 6-24

If you can't make up your mind, buy a used super sniper 16x and use it until you're knowledgeable enough to know what you want, then sell it for exactly what you paid for it.

I use an SWFA SS 16x42. At $300 it is a great bang for the buck. I shoot from 100-1000 with it on my Savage 338LM. There are other scopes that are better, but not for the money. Opinions will vary. I often shoot prairie dog steel and a 6" circle at 1000 with it.

Need a Scope!!

Thanks for the info everyone. How is the Vortex HS-T 4-16x44? They seem inexpensive and I would then have enough in my budget to also get rings.

I have two...they are excellent and more than enough magnification for a 1MOA target @ 1000yd.

You can get better for your $1000 budget and good glass is NEVER money wasted...but you'd probably gain more from a $560 scope and $440 of ammo to send downrange as a beginner.

If you want more magnification...look HARD at the Bushnell Tactical 6-24x50 G2DMR or the new Sightron SIII FFP; Liberty Optics has the best price you'll find on either.

Last edited: