• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Need adhesive recommendation for Butler Cap.

Leaddog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2009
Delaware
I have a NF scope that is mounted very close to my barrel and have had to cut away about an inch off the bottom of my Butler objective cap to keep it from touching the barrel. I recently used some adhesive from my shop, but it did not hold up well.

What is a good glue/adhesive to keep my cap securely on the scope? Thank you.

Re: Need adhesive recommendation for Butler Cap.

I've used a product that I see advertised as carpet tape, it's a very thin double sided tape, it worked okay....as good as could be expected I guess.

the horror......................the horror

now we got to worry about carpet tape.....as if barely visible ring marks were not enough.......oh the humanity!!!!!

good god man .....get a rat tail file and hog out some space on that barrel for them plastic caps.....its what Captain Kick-ass would do.....

How about some black automotive weatherstrip adhesive? Seems to me like it would work nicely...

I'll loan you my Dremel if you pay shipping both ways!! I can give you a few pointers, I'm quite the artist when it comes to Dremel-Smithing.

motorcycle grip adhesive.....

0000_Scott_Grip_Glue_--.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a NF scope that is mounted very close to my barrel and have had to cut away about an inch off the bottom of my Butler objective cap to keep it from touching the barrel. I recently used some adhesive from my shop, but it did not hold up well.

</div></div>

You trimmed an inch? Seems like quite a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a NF scope that is mounted very close to my barrel and have had to cut away about an inch off the bottom of my Butler objective cap to keep it from touching the barrel. I recently used some adhesive from my shop, but it did not hold up well.

</div></div>

You trimmed an inch? Seems like quite a bit. </div></div>

yeah palmik, didnt you know that now a days Butler Creek makes them Heavy Duty scope caps
laugh.gif
holy hell 1 inch musta been a hell of a cap or a few stacked inside each other

You can try and run eletrical tape around the O.D. of the cap and then around the I.D. (sticky side facing other) and give it plenty of overlap on the cap. Then you can slide the cap on if eletrical tape doesnt work try duct tape, I think they make black. But please dont glue the f-ing cap to the scope!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But please dont glue the f-ing cap to the scope!</div></div>

No problem... it's just the NF sunshade I'm looking for an adhesive for to secure the cap.

What about just regular ole rubber cement,like used in school.
Will peel off easy later if need be.

Since the cap is made of plastic, you need a flexible adhesive. Your best bet it to use Shoe goo or type 1 GE silicone. First clean the plastic cap with IPA (isopropyl alcohol) also know as rubbing alcohol, next abrade the plastic contact surface with 120-180g sand paper. Clean scope with IPA, let dry, apply adhesive tape in place and let cure 24hrs. Both shoe goo and GE silicone will come off the scope when you decide to remount.

If you're gonna keep the scope do like I did and use a two part epoxy from walmart and glue it on there for good. If you think you're gonna sell it one day then try the silicone like mentioned above.

I used Gorilla Super Glue. Set up fast and seems secure. The rifle will never be for sale so i'm not worried about making a permanent addition to the sunshade. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

The killflash device that midway sales for the nightforce will step the diameter down for a smaller and new cap. They also sale rings of various hights.
But, if you really want to stay the coure here's what you need to do;
1) Get a 2" steel hose clamp. (the kind that takes a nut driver) place the clamp around whats left of the cap.
2) borrow an industrial heat gun. (the big red one) that vent on the side should be closed.
3) heat that uncooperative scope cover untill it starts to get a little goopy
4) Wrench down that hose clamp w/ a 3/8 drive ratchet. continue to apply the heat untill it's good and snug.
5) allow the scope cap to cool and remove clamp.
This should have you good to go.

^^^^^^^^ good stuff
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a NF scope that is mounted very close to my barrel and have had to cut away about an inch off the bottom of my Butler objective cap to keep it from touching the barrel. I recently used some adhesive from my shop, but it did not hold up well.

</div></div>

Ok, you have to cut an inch off the bottom of the cap? My butler caps only hang about 1/16 inch off the bottom of the scope at the most. So did you already cut the bottom of the scope objective off?
Either way i have broke the cap off the part that stays on the scope before, and super glue didn't work. I have thought about using hot glue because it might have a little flex to it when it flips over. The super glue just broke right away.

[/quote]

Ok, you have to cut an inch off the bottom of the cap? My butler caps only hang about 1/16 inch off the bottom of the scope at the most. So did you already cut the bottom of the scope objective off? [/quote]

I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure he turned the round cap into a c shaped cap. Like o - c,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used a product that I see advertised as carpet tape, it's a very thin double sided tape, it worked okay....as good as could be expected I guess. </div></div>

+1 -

But I'd toss the cap and get a set of slip on's...