• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Need advice building IR Spot light.

Justtobehere

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2020
I hope this is the right place to post this question but if not please direct me to the right place in this forum to post.
I’m putting together an IR light source for use with camera for night vision capability. I’m using 2 of these 100 watt leds https://www.ebay.com/itm/100W-Infrared-IR-850nm-High-Power-LED-Light-CCTV-Night-Vision-Camera-Bulb-Lamp/261908296201?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I’ve found this dual led heat sink with lens and fan https://www.ebay.com/itm/60-degree-12V-Led-Heatsink-Fan-Glass-Lens-for-2... . My question is in the drop down section to select the lens on the heat sink it list 57mm or 44mm as a choice for the lens. I’m confused about this selection. Will either lens 57mm or 44 mm fit on my 100 watt led's ? If both will fit what difference would there be between the 2 lens sizes ?
Also I've noticed a line cut in the heat sink where the led's will be placed on the heat sink, Will this heat sink still carry away the heat from the led's evenly even if the line is cut under them ?
Sorry for the long and dunce question's , I can’t get the link to the led’s to work but You can copy and past the entire led link and it should work, sorry for this trouble. I’m new at this and working on a very limited budget .
Thanks a ton for any and all help on this subject.

Last edited:
Couldnt get your LED link to open. If you're concerned about effective heat dissipation with that heat sink I wouldn't be. In fact it looks like a little overkill. My guess about the drop down sizer selection is its probably different size heat sinks. Get the one for 57mm and run one fan. Use thermal paste compound to set your LED's on the heat sink. And dont worry about the groove.

Reactions: Justtobehere
Couldnt get your LED link to open. If you're concerned about effective heat dissipation with that heat sink I wouldn't be. In fact it looks like a little overkill. My guess about the drop down sizer selection is its probably different size heat sinks. Get the one for 57mm and run one fan. Use thermal paste compound to set your LED's on the heat sink. And dont worry about the groove.
Thanks for the reply with incredibly useful information. This was the exact information I was looking for. Thanks again