• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need advice on 338LM fired brass

Canuck1977

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2011
Mirabel Canada
Hi all, need your input on this fired 338lm case.
Went to the range today, shot factory Lapua 250gr Lockbase ammo. Temp was 3 celcius... no real sign of pressure. Easy extraction, no ejector or extractor marks... primers are flat though...

got a little bulge 3/8” from the case head. Can feel it with my finger. I checked inside the case and no line visible, no crack...

is this normal or it could be sign of an headspace problem?

Let me know what you think.

cheers
58220B62-1548-4D22-A31F-812C4EAAA5F0.jpeg
F544E063-7B19-44F5-922C-D456165C5EAD.jpeg

I don't think I'd shoot any more of that, as it is obvious there is a problem. It might be a good idea to give all the stats for the experts to comment on: rifle, barrel characteristics, ammo cbto, ect.

This was from a friend's 300 norma which is why I asked.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1617546845697.jpg
    FB_IMG_1617546845697.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 27
You're fine, they all do that. What matters is whether or not your sizing die kisses that area. My .338 Lapua cases are .0015 larger than yours out of an AI chamber.

Just below that line the case is solid. The line is just furthest point south on the case that expanded to meet the chamber wall.

Reactions: Bradu
I had a similar thing happen when i was fire forming 338 AI brass. Like mentioned above, that's where the web of the case ends and the regular body wall thickness starts. Subsequent firings will start to work on the web/case head out to chamber dimension and that line will become less noticeable.

For peace of mind, you can take a paperclip or a pick and make sure there's no groove or ring in there that would indicate case head separation. I predict you won't find any, but still worth a check. Also, double-check your datum length (to the shoulder) of the case and make sure you're not blowing the shoulder forward something ridiculous.

The rifle is a Cadex Kraken, 1/9.5 twist 27” barrel. Ammo is commercial Lapua 250gr Lockbase... off the shelf, not reloaded.

thanks to you all for the input!

No excuse for me that's why I leave it to the experts. What the first picture looks to show is something that looked like a hairline crack and a depression in the brass ahead of the bulge. Glad it's all ok as I was wondering how you could extract something like that. When I see something like this I worry that it could be a bad batch of ammo.