• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Need advice on a new forend

mzvarner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
Spokane, WA
I have a S&W M&P 15x that is stock with the troy quad rail. I dont use any of the rails so it is currently just extra weight. I am wondering who makes a light weight tubular forend that will fit against a fixed front sight.

thanks

Precision Reflex makes carbon fiber tubular hand guards. They sell for about $325.00 and will fit behind your fixed front iron sight and come with removable rail sections. Here's an example.

PRI example.jpg

Looks like with your M&P15x you can pull out the drop in rail for traditional plastic hand guards, this is will be the simplest and cheapest route to shave some weight. If you wanted to go with a free floating hand guard like the precision reflex, most will require a barrel nut change with the manufacturer's proprietary parts. Appears the m&p15x is a carbine gas system, which would limit you to shorter hand guards if you were wanting to keep the front sight base. Another option is cutting down the FSB or installing a low profile gas block, so you can have whatever length and make of hand guard your heart would desire.

OP,

What is your level of comfort with disassembling the upper to install a new handguard?

Disassembling is not an issue. However, I am trying to avoid going to a free float forend. I want to leave the pinned front sight if at all possible.

Best route would be to dremel off the top of the A2 sight making it a flat gas block. Then dremel off the delta ring, remove the spring then attached a Samson Evo rail the length of our choice. Add a magpul or other flip up sight and you have an excellent AR. There are vids of how to do this on youtube. The Samson is a superb rail and is not made with keymod attachements. I've used dozens.

Best route would be to dremel off the top of the A2 sight making it a flat gas block. Then dremel off the delta ring, remove the spring then attached a Samson Evo rail the length of our choice. Add a magpul or other flip up sight and you have an excellent AR. There are vids of how to do this on youtube. The Samson is a superb rail and is not made with keymod attachements. I've used dozens.
I 2nd this. It is not hard to do. Opens the door for a ton of forends then.

So i am not finding anythingthat I am looking for really. What if I take a tube of aluminum, cut it in half, then drill some holes at 45 degrees around it, then paint it...

So i am not finding anythingthat I am looking for really. What if I take a tube of aluminum, cut it in half, then drill some holes at 45 degrees around it, then paint it...

My guess is that probably wouldn't turn out all that well and attachment would be tricky. The MOE is probably the cheapest non-railed option.

A google search turned up...

Apex 2150 GatorGrip Handguard - 8.5" Ext. Carbine Length with Cutout

Evolution Series 7-EX : Samson Manufacturing

There are probably others as well.