• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Need advice on a scope

79sparky

Private
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2012
Missouri
I have a remington model 700 vsf in .308 and am looking for a scope to put on it. I bought this from a guy who had a burris 8-32x44 signature select that he wouldnt part with. I liked that scope but was wanting a tactical scope in mil dot. I have been doing a bit of research and have come up with 4 scopes i have in mind and am open to other scopes as well. The 4 scopes are the burris xtr 6-24x50mm, Leupold Mark 4 lrt 8.5-25x50mm, nightforce nxs 8-32x56mm, and the nikon monarch 8-32x50mm. Im new to the tactical scopes and need advice on which way to go. Thanks for any help. .

If your set on a SFP scope, I would get a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NXS, or the new ATACR. If a FFP scope is of interest to you, I would get a Razor or Bushnell G2DMR. Hope this helps!

One major thing you need to consider when selecting optics for tactical use is if you need a FFP or SFP optic. On a SFP optic, the reticle will only range on a specific magnicication. For precision bench or F class shooting I will always recommend a SFP optic, for tactical use I would suggest looking at a FFP.

Kirk R

8x is very high on the bottom end for a tactical scope. Dont get caught up in the more is better thinking. 3-15 is arguably the most popular in tactical optics. When you increase your power you lose fov and internal adjustment. It all depends on your intended uses for the rifle. F class more power, tactical comps less. Whatever you go with, do yourself a favor and match your turrets to your reticle, whether it be mil/mil or moa/moa.

thanks for the advice but im still unsure which would be best. I will be using the setup for various types of hunting (deer, prarie dogs, coyote, etc) as well as some long range target shooting. I know this is a broad specrtrum and this is my first go at the long range shooting (over 300-400 yards) so i know it will be a hard decision on which to go with. I will make sure to match my turrets reguardless. I think I would be best suited with a ffp as i will be hunting more than target shooting. Again thanks for the advice and help.