• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Need advice on base and ring choice for Nightforce

Highmark

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2010
Kentucky
I am taking a leap from Leupold and purchasing a Nightforce NXS 5.5 x 22 x 56 NP R1
Nightforce discourages use of two piece rings and bases on their scopes , I have two Rem 7MM sendero's with 6.5x20x50 LRT on both with two piece Leupold rings and based and am happy with them . The Nightforce will replace one of them over to a Varmit rifle.
Should I go with the Nightforce one piece 20 MOA ring and base and if so what would be the advantage of it?

Re: Need advice on base and ring choice for Nightforce

fireshot you are taking the same leap as me lol, but how far are you gonna be shooting? the reason i ask is your scope might have enough adjustment to get you out there. for rings i suggest the burris signature zee series rings. they have an insert that woun't scratch, ding, dent the scope and will perfectally align it in the rings. also, you won't have to worry about tightening it too much. you can crank them tight and not hurt it.

thats the ones i am gonna use when i get my nf. but for base it all depends.

Mowen I am shooting a Rem. 7MM RUM Sendero and will be shooting out to about 1000 yds. target and hunting potential.
On my current setup with the Leupold it requires 20 moa adjustment at that distance. which with the leupold it works fine

My concern is Nightforce discouraging use of my current rings.
don't know if it is just a push toward their $230. mounts or is a viable concern.

ok yea go with a one piece 20 moa base. i personally looked at egw bases and i talked to people who shoot nf br's any they recommend the burris rings. it might be a push towards and it might not. if you do decide to get them, lap em. that way you get equal pressure on them. i just read a few days ago nf is making scopes with more moa's per turn, so email them about it. go to www.6mmbr.com and check out the front page for the nf videos.

hope this helps

Re: Need advice on base and ring choice for Nightf

I currently have an array of quality scopes, rings and mounts on my various rifles, including a NF 5.5-22x56 in a set of NF Ultralight rings. Very nicely made and, despite being made of aluminum w/ Ti crossbolts, by all reports, very strong. I was skeptical about their quality and strength but several serious gun builders I spoke with gave them a big thumbs up. Regarding bases, the nicest ones I've been able to find are made by Richard Near of NEAR Mfg. up in Canada. The attention to detail is over the top, (just my style). They aren't cheap tho'. Also, they have an interesting integrated bottom ring set called an Alpha mount that might appeal to you. Check 'em out. If you don't want to spend that much you might want to look at a Badger rail. Take a look at Seekins' rings too. All good stuff. By the way, I personally think it's a good idea to lightly lap any set of rings once positioned and torqued before laying in that beautiful scope. Get 'em (lapping bars) from Sinclair or Kokopelli. Good luck.

I've got Nightforce one piece (20MOA) with Burris Signatures with my 2 Nightforce's. Love em.
My 338Edge.
Guns1041.jpg

My .308 5R
Guns1108.jpg

Well I just made the leap from Leupold up to the NXS 5.5x22x56 with the one piece 20 MOA base should be here by the end of the week. Anxious as a cat in the middle of a Dairy Farm
Also installing a Jewel trigger on my setup.

You are going to be amazed at the difference the NF scope will make.