• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need advice on rifle

dshag

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2014
dfw, tx
Ive been debating how i wanted to go about buying a rifle and eventually modifying it. I would love to buy a new remington 700 but there are none to be had. So here are my options. I can buy a new savage 110 fcp-hs for 905 plus shipping and ffl transfer or i can buy a used remington 700 5r, low round count, for 1000$ plusshipping and ffl. I plan to eventually replace the stock with a manners 5a. If the barrel shoots good ill leave it alone for awhile. Please any advice is appreciated.

If you can wait, Remingtons will be back. They got pulled for the trigger recall.

Buying a factory rifle and then modiying it is fine as long as it not much more than changing the stock, trigger and small things, anything more than that your spending money that you don't need to spend if a full build is in the future. Your wanting to spend 900.-1000.00 on a rifle that will be torn down and action trued, that adds another 250.-350. , and rebarreled at 325. plus for the barrel, plus chambering, stock, bedding. etc.
Yes you can shoot it for awhile as is ,and thats fine
If your going to do a build on this in the near future just go ahead and buy a custom action and be done with it because by the time you do all this work to a stock reciever you will be close to the price of a custom.

Pay once, cry once.

Last edited:
Kinda curious how much different mods will affect accuracy, such as trueing the action. I guess I'll wait a little longer and see if the Remmys are back in stores.