• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Need advice on scope for new tikka T3x CTR in 6.5 creedmoor

Walker6.5

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2017
Hello, this is my first post on snipershide and I'm happy to be apart of it. I just recently purchased a tikka T3x CTR in 6.5 creedmoor and I'm looking for a good match to this platform. I would like to eventually get into some long range shooting(for me) and start shooting a 600 yard course where I live. I will also be using the rifle for whitetail deer, hopefully coyotes and shooting for groups and steel at 100 to 200 yards. With all this said, my foundation of my needs for whatever I end up getting is as follows. I want first focal plane, MOA based reticle and turrets, preferably illuminated reticle, obviously best glass for my budget. I have a spending cap of about $1500 and that's about $500 more than I should be looking at. This is a huge purchase for me and I want to make the right decision. Through all my research I'm really considering the nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1 scope as my final decision. With all that said, are there any forum members who own or have experience behind this scope? I'm open to other comparable options as well. I just want to make the best decision. Thank you for any info. and/or advice anyone can provide.

Man you're in for some torment, because there are a lot of choices in the price range that are really pretty good. As long as you're okay with the FOV and mag range provided by the SHV, I dont think you could go wrong there. I've not looked through one, but the glass on these is supposed to be excellent and they've performed very well. If you are trying to stay at or less than $1k the Burris XTR2 would be another worth giving some thought. My suspicion though would be that the MOAR reticle may be better suited for hunting than the SCR. Another option is there seem to be some MOA versions of the vortex G2 PST's starting to surface. Check SportOptics and CamralandNY. If you're open to MIL/MIL your options expand even further.

Im actually in the same dilemma as you except Im running a .308 CTR and I want Mil/mil.

Best of luck with your decision.

Im using a AMG on mine, I have looked through the SHV and it seems like a good deal. Personally I would look at a used NSX second focal so you have a bit more magnification the longer range you spoke of. The NSX I got to play with last year was the cats ass.

Your price point is a very competitive one which means you have a lot of great options. Which also means you can go mad trying to decide which one. One thing to consider is if you do plan shooting past 600 yards you may enjoy more magnification than 14x. You can get it done with that much magnification for sure, but you may find yourself wishing you had somewhere in the 20-25x range. Something to think about.

Your price point is a very competitive one which means you have a lot of great options. Which also means you can go mad trying to decide which one. One thing to consider is if you do plan shooting past 600 yards you may enjoy more magnification than 14x. You can get it done with that much magnification for sure, but you may find yourself wishing you had somewhere in the 20-25x range. Something to think about.

Hey thanks for the sound advice. I'm actually still trying to make my mind up on this overwhelming decision. I'm starting to lean towards the razor hd gen II in the 3-18. I'm really just fooling myself thinking I'll be shooting past 300 yards very often. I really will be in the 200 to 300 range ninety percent of the time. I know the razor gen II is above my budget, but I really want exceptional glass quality and great tracking. This lineup seems to provide both at a great value. I just hate having to wait longer to save the extra money, lol.

If you can reasonably afford it ( i.e.- not selling children) you will not be disappointed by the 3-18 Razor. However, I would like to go back on my previous comment. I spent some time with the SHV and a 3-15 PST2 this past weekend, and I have to say the PST2 gave the SHV a serious run for its money. The SHV appeared slightly sharper in image, but the FOV, brightness, and eyebox of the PST2 knocked it out of the park. FWIW there are many of the FFP MOA PST2's out in the wild now. IF you have the opportunity, give one a look in the 3-15 or 5-25 variety because I don't think you will be disappointed.
Just my opinion here but if you will rarely be shooting over 300yds, a 3-18 Razor may be overkill. I would keep your price point at or below your original budget and spend the extra cash on ammo, good mounts, etc. You are spoiled for choice for some GREAT optics below $1500. Bushnell, Vortex, Weaver, Burris, NF, all have some very well featured optics in this price point.

I am using a Bushnell 4.5-18 Lrhs and am liking it a lot. I don't have the illumination on mine and not really sure on the street price with it. I would think it would be in your range. If your not set on the illumination you can find good deals without it. I've taken mine out to 1000 and don't feel hampered at 18 power at all.

If you can reasonably afford it ( i.e.- not selling children) you will not be disappointed by the 3-18 Razor. However, I would like to go back on my previous comment. I spent some time with the SHV and a 3-15 PST2 this past weekend, and I have to say the PST2 gave the SHV a serious run for its money. The SHV appeared slightly sharper in image, but the FOV, brightness, and eyebox of the PST2 knocked it out of the park. FWIW there are many of the FFP MOA PST2's out in the wild now. IF you have the opportunity, give one a look in the 3-15 or 5-25 variety because I don't think you will be disappointed.
Just my opinion here but if you will rarely be shooting over 300yds, a 3-18 Razor may be overkill. I would keep your price point at or below your original budget and spend the extra cash on ammo, good mounts, etc. You are spoiled for choice for some GREAT optics below $1500. Bushnell, Vortex, Weaver, Burris, NF, all have some very well featured optics in this price point.

Thanks for the info. on the new PST II. I'm liking the price to performance ratio of that new lineup. I'm really thinking you are correct in thinking the razor 3-18 may be really too much scope for my "usual" shooting ranges. The price difference really could get me some good mounts and a kilo 2000 range finder. I have a lot of thinking to do.

I am using a Bushnell 4.5-18 Lrhs and am liking it a lot. I don't have the illumination on mine and not really sure on the street price with it. I would think it would be in your range. If your not set on the illumination you can find good deals without it. I've taken mine out to 1000 and don't feel hampered at 18 power at all.

Thanks for the feedback! You aren't the first person that has really had great things to say about that Bushnell line of scopes. I'm really wanting to look through one real soon. It may be all I need and at a good price for the budget.

I have the exact same rifle with the Nightforce SHV F1. I use mine for hunting and just general shooting.(steel, varmints). I really like the setup. The scope "scales" well with the rifle and is a solid piece of equipment. I've never felt hampered by the mag range and have shot out to 1400, although not a lot at that distance. If you feel like you will be mostly in the 2-400 yard range, the SHV will be just fine.

I have the exact same rifle with the Nightforce SHV F1. I use mine for hunting and just general shooting.(steel, varmints). I really like the setup. The scope "scales" well with the rifle and is a solid piece of equipment. I've never felt hampered by the mag range and have shot out to 1400, although not a lot at that distance. If you feel like you will be mostly in the 2-400 yard range, the SHV will be just fine.

Thank you for the insight. I hear really good things about that SHV line as well. I have no doubts it would suit all my needs, especially with it being first focal plane.

Thank you for the insight. I hear really good things about that SHV line as well. I have no doubts it would suit all my needs, especially with it being first focal plane.

Revisiting this. I shot my first real "sniper oriented" shoot this last weekend. One thing I noticed is on pretty small targets (1 MOA or less) my reticle seemed pretty fat at 14 power. The shoot I was at was pretty difficult however, and for someone like me who uses most of his guns for hunting, probably not a deal breaker. I should also note it was more difficult at targets that were upward of 800 yards away. I shot my .300 with my Athlon scope the next day and definitely appreciated the extra magnification, although I would not recommend shooting a braked .300 in a competition with 80-100 targets...ouch.

The Bushnell LRTS is a nice scope the reticle is thin in the center and I was able to shoot good groups with mine and I use it for coyote hunting as well. The light gathering ability at dusk was very good. Mine is the 3-12 model and I usually keep it around 8 power while on stand. Mine is also the non-illuminated version. The locking windage and zero stop elevation are nice so I can quickly verify my turrets didn't move while walking to my stand. The razor gen II is nice as well but the Bushy fits my needs.

For around $1500 you could get LRTS, LRHS, DMRII, T5Xi, Gen1 Razor. If you follow the PX section you can find good deals on the DMRII, T5Xi and Gen1 Razor.

I am partial to the T5Xi because I just picked one up and have really liked it for $1500 and under. I would not pay the >$2k sticker price. The glass is excellent, tracking issues fixed with the new turrets, good reticle, low sitting turrets, zero stop, Tenebraex covers, throw lever, etc.

Last edited:
I am also looking at an SHV F1 for a hunting rifle. I think 14 power would be sufficient for anything you describe. I have a FFP Bushnell LRS that tops out at 12 and have had no problems hitting steel at 1000 yards.

It would be a toss up between the 3-15 pst g2 or a lrtsi 4.5-18. The new pst's are very impressive, and bring it up to bushy ET quality levels. Pick the one that has features you like.

Another scope that hasn't been mentioned ... EoTechs VUDU line. They are new, and info/reviews are scarce, but I own the 2.5-10 in MOA and its impressive...

My Personal Pick List - From top to bottom on value / features

1) PST G2 - 3-15 EBR-2C - This scope is under 1,500 and packed with every feature your looking for
2) LRTSi or LRHS - This scope probably would have taken top spot two weeks ago when Bushnell was offering the 25% rebate
3) SHV - 4-14 F1 - Its a solid performer, but price will be the factor, find it on sale
4) XTR II - 3-15 - Great option, But the design is a few years old
5) EoTech VUDU 3-18 - Very impressive features, build quality is nice, these are just too new to have a track record
6) SWFA SS HD - 5-20 - These scopes have faded in popularity over the last couple of years, but they still preform very well

Used List

1)Premier 3-15 - Ive seen these at 1,500-1,600 recently
2)Razor G2 - 3-18 - Sometimes can be found at 1,500 but they are very heavy
3)T5Xi 3-15 - Great scope & can be found for 1,500
4)NSX F1 - These are longstanding favorites

This should cover the high points