• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need advice on smoothing savage action

browningboy84

Minuteman
May 7, 2009
Georgia
I need some advice on smoothing out a savage action. The bolt feels very rough when cycling itm it feels like there is slight resistance when closing the bolt(model 12). Would lapping the action help?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Need advice on smoothing savage action

there are a few threads on this already, but if you use a light lube on the contact surfaces of the bolt and just cycle the action it will improve. is it new? i just had a guy with years of savage experience tell me to just cycle the action while i was watching tv for a few 100 times. id do that before i did anything else. thats what i am doing tonight from 6 to 10

there are two threads on this page you should read too about this

try the free stuff first. it costs nothing to cycle the action or to polish the areas that geargrinders link (thanks for that by the way) shows before you spend the money on the lift kit. plus a guy told me how to make a lift kit for next to nothing. its just the head of a 38 special case and a ball bearing or in one case a small set screw. like i said try the free stuff first. if you want to know how to do the kit, i can look that info up or provide you with a link

hey, i emailed the guy about polishing the areas he mentioned. he said he started with 400 wet/dry then 600 wet/dry. he also suggested using rouge (jewelers rouge im guessing) on a dremel wheel. free stuff rocks!

may also want to try rubbing compound or automotive valve grinding media.

is the "rough" closing of the bolt on an empty or loaded chamber? if empty, should try the stuff mentioned, if with brass in it, try a different piece of brass as it could be a shoulder, neck, or length problem not meshing up with a tight chamber.

usually, IMO, savage has one of the smoothest actions out of the box. i'd start off just by basically soaking the bolt including the bearing and all contacting parts in breakfree (or your favorite lube) and cycle, cycle, cycle like AXEMAN said. maybe just needs to be worked in a little.

just for shits and giggles, look with a bore light to see if there is any garbage stuck on the back of the chamber where the bolt face mates. that'll make it feel tight also when closing the bolt.

if those things don't work, you may have to toss in some $ to get er done.

while sitting here on the net, reading stuff and looking at the azz shaking vidoes on youtube... anyway i was cycling my action, looking at it, taking it apart and stuff i found a few things. the black coating tends to rub off as you cycle the action. i used a light lube on the bearing surfaces. cleaning and reapplying lube on the contact surfaces, cycling. first thing, this is my first ever bolt gun. but the action is smooth, but as a new gun, its dry. some quality lube in a syringe for easy application would be easiest or some in a tube. but the only heaviness i feel is the cocking of the firing pin when i lift the bolt. after that when i cycle the cocked bolt its easy to lift, its smooth even smoother when lubed well. if you look at the places where that guy says to polish the action you will see the black rubbed off. its easy to spot places to polish or lube as you cycle. like i have said, i have no remy experience, this is my first bolt gun. just something i observed after a few hours of messing with it. gonna try a longer bolt handle before i think of adding a lift kit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">while sitting here on the net, reading stuff and looking at the azz shaking vidoes on youtube...</div></div>

No way!

Try shooting it...

Nothing breaks an action in better than actually using the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: geargrinder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

http://www.steyrscout.org/savscout.htm </div></div>

i did this tonight. my bolt is coated black but i can see where its getting worn off in the areas that the article says to polish so it made sense. i looked it over and ended up polishing the lug a little where the black was coming off. wiped it down and oiled it up, it felt really smooth. im rubbing on it when i have time.

Back your front guard screw out and cycle it. This will rule out the screw being slightly too long and interferring with the bolt head.

i should be more specific. in the link the guy mentions a few spots that he polishes with 600 wet/dry to make the action smoother. thats all i did, turn the buffer off and polish the spots he mentioned. i didnt get the inside egde of the cocking piece yet. but for a free tip, its nice

Build a lift kit. don't waste time on bolt handles before doing it.

Add fine abrasive paste. Put it on all wear surfaces,including cocking ramp. Wear it in a bit, strip and clean. Done. Should take no more than a couple of hours and anything more than this requires someone with more knowledge and tools.

Thanks guys for the links and info ! I love my Savage 10 308Varmint as it was the first precision rifle I owned.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

........... free stuff rocks! </div></div>

grin.gif
Hell yeah !!

Look at Sharp Shooter Supply or look up Nat Lambeth. It doesn't cost very much to have a Savage trued&timed. It will function a lot smoother and be more accurate. It will never be as smooth as others, just the nature of the beast.

see id have to try one out that had been timed & trued before i thought about it, $150 isnt bad, but mine is stock and im pretty happy with it. i had been cycling it for a while so it was easy to spot the wear on the action then polish it. but im fine with the feel so far. i feel the extra effort when cocking during the bolts lift. i did try an aftermarket bolt handle. i liked the handle end of it, but the end that attached to the bolt was cast very thin and it made the action feel very klunky. i took it right off and im sending it back. welding/threading on a new knob is a better way to go i think