• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Need advice

edubya

Private
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2010
North Mississippi
Been lurking around on the forums for a while so I finally decided to join. I am just getting into precision shooting. My current rifle is an older Sendero in .25-06. I have had the gun for at least 10 years now. I mostly used it for hunting deer. My question is what do you think I should do? Keep the .25-06 and upgrade the optics, re-chamber to a different caliber (not sure what), or sell it and get something else. Maybe 700 TAC in .308. All of my shooting will be 600 yards or less. I also want to be able to hunt whitetail and maybe elk with this gun. There is a possibility I could go to NM in the next few years for an elk hunt. I would like to keep the price around $1000. I am looking for something that is a little more affordable to shoot. I do not reload yet. Thanks for the help.

Re: Need advice

Take the $1000 budget and invest in reloading equipment, find an accurate load for it then go from there.
I think the first mod to the gun would be to bed it.adjust the stock trigger, (there are online tutorials)and just make sure everything has been installed correctly (rings bases)
It will cost allot of money to change calibers on a 700, and the Sendero is a good platform,and your 25-06 can be very accurate, I have one in 7mm mag and like it allot.
Curt

It really depends what you want to do with your rifle. Nothing wrong with a .25-06, however, I would not consider a .25 caliber of any sort a proper elk rifle. Sure, it will do the job, but there are MUCH better choices.

Parent case is the .30-06

No reason why you cant get a new barrel put on it, rechambered for .30-06 and start using large projectiles.

.30-06 is adequate for most animals on the planet, with the exception of dangerous game.

There are many great .30 cal hunting projectiles available.

Thats just one option.

Send it to hart and have an '06 barrel put on it.

They will true the action and bolt face, total cost with barrel would be about 650 bucks. Ammo is easy to find, you can shoot the american eagle M1 match load for accuracy, tons of good factory hunting ammo.

If you were a handloader, I would say rebarrel to 6.5x55.
Easy on the shoulder and absolute death to Elk but American ammo is way underloaded.

Rebarrel it for 6.5x55mm, 284 Winchester, or 280 Remington. Learn to reload match-grade ammo, and enjoy your new precision rifle at the range as well as on the hunt.

If you're not interested in reloading, go 30-06 instead.

I agree with netz. Reloading becomes a hobby all of its own, and it winds up saving you money. What is your definition of long range, high B.C. bullets aren't as prevalent in .257" as for .308", 6mm, and .224". But that doesn't matter unless you are going out past about 400 yards. I would wait until I was applying for elk tags before I worried about owning an elk gun. I would run what you have until you absolutely need something else. And then if it is for long range I would consider a .223 bolt unless you are competing, because it is a lot cheaper to feed.

I would rebarrel to 30-06 if you don't want to start reloading.

if you are willing to learn to reload gets some berger bullets heaviest they make and the rcbs starter kit (aroun$300) and go for it. since you are shooting 600yds and in the 25-06 will be fine.

Are you happy with your current 25-06?

Guns are tools and we usually have more than one tool in our toolboxes, right? If you are 100% happy with your current rifle then keep it for varmints. Then purchase something else in .308, you'll get a long barrel life, tons of ammo available both Match and "regular," and whenever you do decide to reload, there is another ton of reloading components for it. Some of the ammo is pretty inexpensive. And out to 600 yards your .308 will do the job nicely.

I don't have any problems with my .25. I think I have decided to keep it for now. It serves my current needs and its paid for. I will upgrade my scope and mounts with the $ I was going to spend on a new rifle.

I am looking into reloading. It is something I have always wanted to try anyway.