• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need advise-daypack for LR rifle course

Cbmax

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2010
New Jersey
Hi All,

I am thinking of taking a longe range rifle course. I will need a pack to carry my gear. I also want to use this pack when I decide to try a tactical match.

I want something that is light. I believe that less is going to be more. I do want to carry a camel back type system built into the pack. I will also want to carry lightweight rain gear, extra mags, ammo, food, small tool kit, data book, sun block etc.

I talked to Traid tactical and they recommended the Waterpoint Three Pocket Recon Hydration Reservoir Carrier.

What do y'all think.

CB

Re: Need advise-daypack for LR rifle course

I have used a Spec Ops THE Pack for operational use for several years now and really like it. It is bomb proof, simple, modular and for what you get very inexpensive. Though I would not classify it as a lightweight pack. It is very robust with heavy duty zippers, heavy cordura all around and heavy stitching.

If you must go lightweight I would point you in the direction of the Kelty MAP or Strike. Both are very lightweight, simple with easy to organize pockets. The load bearing system is much easier to tailor to the user vs the Spec Ops THE Pack. The Kelty packs lack any webbing which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. The Strike has a cool feature in the base of the pack that holds a built in rain fly. The MAP is more sleek.

In the end I own all three pack s and use them for various jobs. If I could only grab one pack to carry for everything I do it would be the Kelty MAP 3500.

Hi Cowboy,

With the Kelty Pack do I need to buy a separate hydration sytem? I am thinking the answer is yes.

CB

here is a suggestion. backpacks suck, because you need to take them off, even to get the things your going to use most, you still have to get them out of the pack.

Here is the best of both worlds, and practical match shooting has driven this design.

http://www.grtgear.com/Products/GrandRiverTacticalVestSystems/LBV3/

DSC01422.JPG

DSC02109.JPG

BradsVest018a.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cbmax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Cowboy,

With the Kelty Pack do I need to buy a separate hydration sytem? I am thinking the answer is yes.

CB</div></div>

Negative

What HasGun is offering is the way to go. Add a few pouches and a hydration bladder and your set. However, if your set on a traditional bag I would look at the ATS Raid or Kifaru Marauder.

I think you need to define your wants and needs a little more.

What are you going to carry?

By light do you mean an alice pack minus the frame or are you talking something the size of a normal school bag that can handle slightly more abuse?

If you are looking for a normal size bag I reccomend the Maxpedition Condor. I drug it across Iraq and back with minimal wear and still use it at pistol matches and other stuff. And yes it does have a spot for a hydration pouch.

Bjdm,

I thought I defined it pretty well. By light weight pack, I meant something just to carry the bare essentials for a day long tactical match. I listed the critical items I thought I would need. As for the pack itself, I was envisioning something no bigger than a normal school bag.

I will check out the Maxepedition pack.

CB

What do you guys think about the Camel Bak Mule?

CB

Just looked at the website and realized I have the Vulture II not the Condor II. They say the Vulture is a 3 day assault but it has never felt too big to use as a day bag and the extra room has always been welcome. It really saved me on a couple of trips in the sandbox when I couldn’t take or access my duffel. The Condor would probably work too if you really are committed to packing light.

I haven’t done any long range tactical matches yet but I have used my Maxpedition for a pistol class and for monthly IDPA matches. I’ve had it loaded with food, water, 10 pistol mags, 300 rounds of pistol ammo, a soft shell and fleece, smokes, lighter, cell phone, wallet, etc. without having it feel or look overstuffed. I’ve also had it completely stuffed and it was still pretty comfortable to carry.

And if the price tag sets you off in the least bit all I can say is your paying for the quality and it is worth it.

im a fan of the Bulldog Equipment 3 day sniper pack with interior rifle sleeve

I have a ATS RAID and opt'd for an Eagle A-III, ordered from NATCHEZ for the 50$ deal.
I should'a bought this pack years ago.
Holds more kit then I expected it to

I now use the RAID for work and the A-III is dedicated for Range time.

What are you looking to pack as your basic kit ?

+1 for the THE pack. Simple, good size and tough. I sold my eberlestock because the THE pack was easier to work out of. Being reasonably priced made it nice also ...