• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Need an AR-10 Variant, need it fast... What are the options for a GOOD/GREAT platform?

GBMaryland

Herr Oberst
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 24, 2008
    Maryland, US
    So,

I've got an AR-10 (Larue OBR) and I like it quite a bit.

The Peoples Republic of Marylandistan is about to ban just about every 'military' type rifle on October 1st. [AR-10s are not technically on the list, but the AG is calling them a copy of the AR-15, which would ban them.]

A buddy of mine, who is in the service, wants to get an AR-10 before Oct 1, 2013.

We have to call, but I think Larue is behind on OBR sales... so I gather there would be a production wait.

Are there any other companies to consider that make a quality product similar to the Larue OBR? If so, can you guys help me out an list them?

GB

I'm not entirely familiar with US laws, or product availability, but often read of guys buying stripped (ar15) lowers just to they can build them up later should they ban them. Might be something to consider if you can get those quickly, and if it's legal.

Unless you can get one in the secondary market somewhere (BARFCOM, here, GunBroker, etc.), there is no way in hell you can get an OBR in <2 weeks. Larue did "help out" some folks facing similar legislation in the past by getting receivers shipped out so that they could be sold to customers or otherwise "registered" before such bans went into effect and then built out later down the road. Might inquire if that is still an option if he's that set on an OBR.

In terms of high quality, large-frame ARs...it is really up to the buyer to figure out what options/features/platform/etc. they really prefer. First, whether he wants a DPMS/KAC pattern rifle or an Armalite pattern rifle. Then go from there. You can buy outright and ready to run, or get a receiver set and build out as time permits (assuming that will be permitted under MD's proposed legislation...I've not seen/read the pending changes so I can't comment). If he can get a POF/Hogan receiver set, there's always a GAP-10 build that can be completed down the road. Also, the POF P-308 rifles, for a piston-operated system, are about as good as it gets in my experience owning and shooting several models over the years. They are readily available (at least more so than they have been in the recent past). He can keep the rifle "as is" and shoot the hell out of it, or have it converted to a GAP-10 later (keep the Piston upper and have a complete GAP-10 upper built or use his existing upper and strip the piston setup off it). If a build is a consideration, there are numerous sources for receiver sets that can be had in fairly short order, especially if money isn't a big obstacle as places like GunBroker, BARFCOM, etc. are FULL of them.

If the priority right now is beating a deadline coming up in <2 weeks, then beggars can't be choosers!! If its an issue of not being able to legally own said rifle after the effective date of the legislation, then I would focus on getting something that can be built from the ground up or something that can be substantially updated/altered/reconfigured down the road as time/money permits. That leaves you with options like some of the more basic, factory rifles like those from Armalite or DPMS themselves, or buying a complete receiver setup as previously mentioned. For Armalite, there's Armalite themselves, Aero Precision, etc., and for DPMS-pattern, there's more option than I can count for receiver sets.

Anyway...just some food for thought for you/him to consider.

What do you folks think of the HK762A1, or the Christensen Arms CA-10?

Check with samnev here on the Hide re: his experiences with the MR762A1 which I believe have been very positive thus far. I am a certified HK-o-phile but have to admit that I have not had extensive experience with their newest offerings, including the 762/417. I will say that as with all things HK, getting aftermarket parts, accessories, mags, etc. is going to be either expensive as hell or worse...simply unavailable. There just isn't much in the way of support for them as compared to the AR-type rifles from the big US mfgs. Now, if you plan to take it out of the box, mount optics and a bipod and shoot...you'll be fine with the HK. Just don't expect to do a whole lot of other modifications/upgrades to it.

As for the CA-10...they are nice enough, but for the same (or considerably less) money, you could do a good deal better IMO. Simply put, you are paying top dollar ($3.5-4k depending on options) for a rifle with a lot of features that look good on paper and in pics (CF-wrapped barrel, CF handguard, NiB-coated everything, some nice external finishes/coatings, etc.) but really just don't add much in terms of the overall functionality, accuracy, etc. of the platform which only has a 1MOA accuracy guarantee. Might check with Alex at EuroOptic re: the CA-10 as I believe they are dealers and may be able to offer something for a bit better price point.

I'm not entirely familiar with US laws, or product availability, but often read of guys buying stripped (ar15) lowers just to they can build them up later should they ban them. Might be something to consider if you can get those quickly, and if it's legal.

Do this.

That is possible... given that this guy is fairly handy... that's a possibility.

Doesn't matter if one is "handy" or not. Everything for an AR lower is drop-in. Get a good lower... Seekins, MEGA, etc that you can get before the ban is in place-- be sure it's an AR10 lower. Everything else can be sent to your house, but the lower is the "firearm."

Like ORD said, unless you find one private party, you're not likely to get one that's already complete. Wish you and your friend the best of luck.

If he wants an OBR there's one on gunbroker right now.

Another good option is to grab one of the Hogan 308 lowers off Gunbroker before October 1st and then ship it to GAP for assembly into a GAP10. I saw a stripped Hogan 308 lower for sale on ARFcom this morning for $325 plus shipping-- that's very fair.

Also, JP has some ready to ship LRP-07's. I'm sure they'd be willing to expedite the shipping!

Last edited:
    I see lots of POF 308 rifles out there ready to go. Then if he doesn't like the piston he could have GAP build a 260 upper for target shooting etc.

Are they banning everything semi-auto like the Democraps are trying to do here in CA?

RE: ORD post to contact me on the H&K MR762.
    Great accurate rifle. There is one for sale on Gunbroker for around $3700 IIRC. But as ORD said much harder to find and very expensive for magazines. 20 rounders can cost $100 to $150 each depending on where you get them and parts are out rageously expensive and don't know much about H&K customer support.
    In all honesty in your position I would try to get an LMT MWS with a stainless steel 18" barrel or if you can not find one the 16" CL barrel which is almost as accurate. That or a DPMS SASS my favorite AR 10 platforms. There are quite a few for sale on Gunbroker. I would also check the for sale board here.
    Hope that helps. If you don't mind the extra expense of the H&K MR762 it is a wonderful rifle. With my hand loads 168 grain SMK's I have shoot well under 1 moa 5 shot 100 yard groups. But my LMT CL 16" MWS and DPMS SASS come pretty close. All 3 have run flawlessly. Fit and finish is a bit better on the H&K.

PM Sent.

Last edited:
    $2150 w/free shipping POF P308 308 Win Rifle 16.5" 20 Round Black: POF P308 308 Win Rifle 16.5" 20 Round Black

$2100 w/free shipping in stock POF P308 308 Win Rifle 20 Barrel Black Anodized HSR Rail: POF P308 308 Win Rifle 20 Barrel Black Anodized HSR Rail

$1962 w/ free shipping in stock DPMS SASS Semi-Automatic 308: DPMS PANTHER Semi-Automatic 308 Winchester 19+1 Capacity 18" $1,904.00 SHIPS FREE

$1480 w/shipping in stock Rock River .308 Predator HP LAR-8 AR10: Rock River .308 Predator HP LAR-8 AR10 Operator : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

So,

I've got an AR-10 (Larue OBR) and I like it quite a bit.

The Peoples Republic of Marylandistan is about to ban just about every 'military' type rifle on October 1st. [AR-10s are not technically on the list, but the AG is calling them a copy of the AR-15, which would ban them.]

A buddy of mine, who is in the service, wants to get an AR-10 before Oct 1, 2013.

We have to call, but I think Larue is behind on OBR sales... so I gather there would be a production wait.

Are there any other companies to consider that make a quality product similar to the Larue OBR? If so, can you guys help me out an list them?

GB

These 2 rifles that elfster1234 I would give serious consideration too. I own 2 RRA in 556 and they are tack drivers and run flawlessly so I assume their 308 would be as accurate and run just as well.

$1962 w/ free shipping in stock DPMS SASS Semi-Automatic 308: DPMS PANTHER Semi-Automatic 308 Winchester 19+1 Capacity 18" $1,904.00 SHIPS FREE

$1480 w/shipping in stock Rock River .308 Predator HP LAR-8 AR10: Rock River .308 Predator HP LAR-8 AR10 Operator : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

Last edited:
    I would even put money down on the table that the $1480 w/shipping in stock Rock River .308 Predator HP LAR-8 AR10 would out shoot the rest on the list for under $1500 dollars

These 2 rifles that elfster1234 I would give serious consideration too. I own 2 RRA in 556 and they are tack drivers and run flawlessly so I assume their 308 would be as accurate and run just as well.

I would even put money down on the table that the $1480 w/shipping in stock Rock River .308 Predator HP LAR-8 AR10 would out shoot the rest on the list for under $1500 dollars

AIM Surplus has 30rd FAL mags in stock for 20.00 (at least they did as of two days ago). That'd be a great combo.

Originally Posted by elfster1234
    "I would even put money down on the table that the $1480 w/shipping in stock Rock River .308 Predator HP LAR-8 AR10 would out shoot the rest on the list for under $1500 dollars
    AIM Surplus has 30rd FAL mags in stock for 20.00 (at least they did as of two days ago). That'd be a great combo."

I have heard very good reports on the 556 Predator so I imagine the 308 would be good to go as well but I have no first hand experience with it.
    I still think the LMT MWS or the DPMS SASS would be the best choice at least for me since I have both. I would also take a look at the SIG 716 as well as the RRA Predator.

Call or email JP. They will take care of you and make sure you get what you need before any legislation goes through and gets finalized.

I have a Les Baer AR platform rifle that I'm thinking about selling. It's the 264 LBC Supermatch, which is pretty much the same as the 6.5 Grendel. Shoots 6.5 Grendel ammo. I'd really like to get a GAP-10, so I'm considering selling this. Shoot me a pM if you think your buddy may be interested. FYI...I didn't really read all of the thread.