• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need an M1A gunsmith to rebuild my OpRod Tab

Balzac72

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2009
I'm having a problem with my op rod coming out of the track since the tab may be a bit worn. I'm tempted to replace it with a USGI part, but since you don't know how worn a used USGI part is anymore, I might as well have it rebuilt.

Does anyone know who can weld and grind the tab back into spec?

Re: Need an M1A gunsmith to rebuild my OpRod Tab

SEI inc. makes a very good oprod. Its a one piece like TRW used to make.

Lemme guess - SAI commie cast Op Rod marked to look like a real SA Op Rod?

Best to replace it with a USGI part and move on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgj2025</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SEI inc. makes a very good oprod. Its a one piece like TRW used to make. </div></div>

Excellent kit.

Actually, it's a real commie part. It's a Norinco M14S, which was built up with a match medium profile Barnett SS barrel, USGI bolt conversion, Smith parts, NM trigger and sights, etc. But I'm pretty sure the original op rod remained. It pops out way too easily.

Oh yeah, Smith handled the original build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HKTackDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, it's a real commie part. It's a Norinco M14S, which was built up with a match medium profile Barnett SS barrel, USGI bolt conversion, Smith parts, NM trigger and sights, etc. But I'm pretty sure the original op rod remained. It pops out way too easily.

Oh yeah, Smith handled the original build. </div></div>

Smith has built up a few Norinco & Poly Tech M14s for me and I did use some of the original ChiCom op rods before SEI released their op rods.
The Chinese op rod is forged and 1-piece just like TRW and SEI, but that does not mean the tab can't wear out. I recommend you replace it with a new SEI op rod.

Thanks for the heads up. I assume that all op rods meet a certain specification or do they vary? I'm tempted to pop my SOCOM op rod in, but I'm afraid it'll get stuck!

Yeah, you better get that op rod from SEI. If you purchase one elsewhere it will be a sub standard piece of shit.

I saw an ad in Shotgun news recently selling U.S.G.I.op rods but cant remember who it was.Try the M14 Firing line forum they sell parts all the time.I had almost the same rifle years ago when i was shooting hi power regularly.I shot my all time high score of 472 dont remember the x count.It had a Barnett heavy on it.Good luck with your problem!!

Mike Harlow <[email protected]>

He can weld it up and re grind it to spec.
His rates are freaking awesome and his work is top notch! He unitized, M80 heat treated, melonited and re parked my gas cylinder for only $45 plus $7 for shipping. He has SEI do the heat treat and meloniteing since he's right next to them (I think he's friends with them).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr blasty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike Harlow <[email protected]>

His rates are freaking awesome and his work is top notch! He unitized, M80 heat treated, melonited and re parked my gas cylinder for only $45 plus $7 for shipping.
He has SEI do the heat treat and meloniteing since he's right next to them (I think he's friends with them). </div></div>

Sounds good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr blasty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike Harlow <[email protected]>

His rates are freaking awesome and his work is top notch! He unitized, M80 heat treated, melonited and re parked my gas cylinder for only $45 plus $7 for shipping. He has SEI do the heat treat and meloniteing since he's right next to them (I think he's friends with them). </div></div>

I had him do my op rod tab and melonite the whole thing, came out great. Max USGI specs and runs like new. He can also make the tab oversize so you can fit it to your receiver. Excellent guy to deal with.

The Canadians have been importing Chinese M14 rifles since the mid-1990s. Canadian owners report that the Chinese operating rod tab tends to fit loose in the receiver operating rod rail even on the recent imports. YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Different</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Canadians have been importing Chinese M14 rifles since the mid-1990s. Canadian owners report that the Chinese operating rod tab tends to fit loose in the receiver operating rod rail even on the recent imports. YMMV </div></div>

This is so loose that if there's upward pressure while bringing the op rod back, it'll pop out of the track. I have had it pop out once while firing as well. IMO, that's a clear defect in need of correction. I'm thinking that for now, I'll get the tab rewelded, I just don't have the money to throw into a new op rod.