• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes need answers fast .. weaver tactical

mlh29

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2008
Lafargeville, NY 13656
I have been in the market for a few cheaper scopes, basic playing, no matches, have other rifles set up for that.
looking at a weaver tactical 4x20x50 ffp mildot, moa turrets non illum

advice please... this will be going on a 308 bolt rifle with intended eal distances of 5 m to about 850, as that is what I have around here,
rifles are a rem 700 5r picked up here used( he fully adj stock, jewell trigger, hs bottom metal etc) and other is a rem 700 limtied run aac with factory installed 51t, bell and carlson medalist, some other basic stuff..

the reason I ask is I can get this local for about 550, the shop has 3 of them and are wanting to move them fast

would these be worth the investment or should i keep looking for a non ffp older leupold vari x iii tactical or mark 4( currently wanting a 4.5x14x50 or 6.5x20 for these rifles aas that is mostly what I have on other rifles

thanks in advance

I think you'll want matching reticles and turrets. For 550 you may be able to get a 3-15x42 SS which has side focus down to that range.

Great scope. I had two. Glass is very good. They tracked perfectly. Reticle was spot on through the mag range.

And don't get too wrapped around the axles about matching knobs/reticle.

Shoot your yard lines, keep your dope handy, and you'll be fine.

well for the past 25 yrs of shooting, I only have 2 scopes that are mil/mil, all others are moa/mil so it isnt a deal breaker. Mainly just wondering if these are worth a shit or not, I know they are not nightforce beasts, but want to get at least one rifle done for a family member to play with over Christmas. Cant swing the 14-1700 right now for either a new leupold mark 6 or nightforce.
Mainly will these be good for hunting( large game and varmints(coyotes/ groundhogs, crows etc)/target applications( paper, steel etc 5-850m) Or shpould I save the 550 and put it towards another scope ideally in the leupold 6.5x20 mark 4 ert or mark 6 line up?
Thanks in advance

I own two Weaver tacticals the 2-10 and the 3-15. They offer alot of features for the price, the glass is very good, turrets that are spot on, illumination, durability. Support if something goes wrong is where they lose to Bushnell, Vortex, and SWFA, these companies invest quite a bit more to stand behind their product than Weaver does. FWIW

In that price range you should check out the Vortex Viper HS-T. Very nice scopes for the price.

Mainly just wondering if these are worth a shit or not

Definitely worth a shit. Both sat on very accurate custom rifles and performed perfectly out to 600y (would've shot further, but that's as far as the range went). I eventually upgraded the glass on both to Leupold Mark 4 (sold one and gave the other to a family member who's still using it), but I think the Weaver scopes a great for the $700 I paid for them.

For the same $550 you could get a used 3-15x50 with matching turrets and reticle and make it easier on yourself. Picked up my last one for $500. I've owned two of the Weaver Tacticals(both 3-15's) and was impressed. No problems to report.

If the 4-20x suits you and you feel like you should jump on the deal then go for it, they are quality optics. I'm sure you know ahead of time that if you decide to sell it, it will be slower to move than a mil/mil or MOA/MOA scope.

I have a few Weaver scopes and have never had a problem with them, though I'm not a fan of the large magnification, I tend to like the 10X for long range and a 2.4 - 4 X for hunting but that's me.

I have a WWII era El Paso Weaver K-2.5, and a '70s era T-10, that is my go to target scope. I find the newer Weavers just a good.

Some people saying you can get X scope for the same price..............maybe, but you also get to pay shipping or transportation. Those you mentioned are there, they are fine scopes, so my vote is to get one, you wont be disappointed.

As to side focus scopes. I have a couple, I don't like them. I don't shoot from bipods or sand bags. I use a sling. With my left arm in a sling I have problems reaching the focus knobs. I right or shooting hand has to reach over the scope screwing up my position. Where I can reach the back of the scope without problems.

Besides side focus scopes don't work in my scabbards when I use a horse or ATV in my shooting activities. But that's just me.

Last edited:
At that price, I'd go for it. These are substantial scopes - good glass, excellent tracking, & durable. No, I don't care for the non-matching reticle/knobs, but if you're just looking for a quality scope for non-competition use, I seriously doubt you're gonna find anything else for that price that's going to work any better for you.

I took a long range shooting class with a dead stock 5R mil spec and a Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical Riflescope, EMDR Ill Reticle w/ 0.1 mil adjustments. We zeroed at 100 yards and went all the way to 1000 yards. The scope tracked perfectly. Granted I had an honest to goodness Marine sniper calculating bullet drop and reading a ~ 10 mph full value wind, BUT hitting that 1000 yard, moderately sized piece of steel on the first shot after doing quite a lot of knob turning before the shot, was kind of a religious experience. I'm still new at this; I could not believe how well the spotters calculations matched the calibration of the scope.

Last edited:
I've been using the Weaver 4-2-x50 ffp mil-dot/MOA scope on my 6.5 Creedmoor for a bit over a year. As others have said, the glass is excellent. I compared to Vortex before buying and there was no contest. The tracking is solid and very repreatable. Have used it out past 700yd many times and out to 1000yd once. I have no problem using MOA for elevation and holding MILs for wind, but I understand why some prefer a matched reticle/turrets, it's totally up to you. Seems very durable in the field too; during a tactical match I tripped over a log while moving to a firing position and whacked the scope & rifle on another log, no damage except to my skinned shin. $550 is a great price! $645 for a MIL/MIL version is a good deal too. Go for it.

get a Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA scope. makes your life easier...