• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need assistance finding someone to repair a telescope occular lens.

spamassassin

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
I have an antique German refracting telescope with an occular lens that took a whack and cracked. Parts for these scopes and replacements are totally unobtanium so I'm hoping to find a shop that could possibly custom make a lens to fit in it. Does anyone know of any custom optics shops? There was a time when I'd have called US Optics and offered them a wad of money but I don't know that they really do that kind of stuff in-house at all anymore. I have the lens pack out of the telescope. It's about 1.5" wide and appears to be a 3-lens pack but as far as I can see only one has a crack.

If you check with Fred at SURPLUS SHED he might maybe able to help you.
They have the most amazing collection of lenses and if you have the specifications of the lens they just might help.
They also have a lens finder feature on their web site. I have no stake in the company, I just buy lenses from them.
Drop me a PM with the picture of the lens as I get lenses made for the obsolete sniper scopes I work on and have a few contacts in getting glass lenses made. Very few make glass lenses anymore as I found out the hard way.
It is best to go overseas as domestic lens costs would gag a maggot off a gut truck.
I know of a few places overseas that might be able to help you and you can just deal direct, as long as not in a hurry.
The problem is a one of lens. You will probably pay for the glass to do 10 units, but it is worth it.
AND,slow, does not even being to describe the service, but they have done some miracles for me.
cheers,
Fosberry