• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need barrel help

Dean1157

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2021
Ohio
I currently have a Remington 700 PCR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I am new to this forum and long range shooting. I want to develop some handholds for this using the "Finding the Jam" method. Well I found my Jam (you could call it lands if you want). So I want to start .020" back from that and then .003" back continuously until I find my "Node". Only problem is these longer bullets will not fit my magazine. Why Remington thought that they should design a "Precision Chassis Rifle" and build it with a short magazine is beyond me. So I have no problem loading each round in manually (as I put a thin pice of plastic under the magazines lips which woks well to keep magazine in and just set bullet on top and they load fine). But my question mainly is it that my barrel was designed with too much "free bore" in the camber? Is the chamber part of the action or part of the barrel? If it is part of the barrel, when I get a new barrel can I have it chambered so the I can use my magazine? Bear in mind that I am new and probably sound it but just need some help understanding this. Thank you in advance anyone who can help me out.

Aics mags? Just go based off the magazine and start moving back. What’s the length of the bullet with .02 off and length of bullet that fits mag

Reactions: Newbie2020
Don't worry about bullet jump unless you are shooting VLD bullets. Bullets like the 175 Sierra Match King shoot very well with a ton of bullet jump to the lands. I'd just load them to mag length, 2.80" and be done with it.

See this article about testing done by Mark Gordon of Short Action Customs, in which he found most of the bullets he tested did best at bullet jumps from .050" to .120" way more than the conventional wisdom would tell you. Conventional wisdom that came about without any scientific basis.

Yes they are AICS mags. I was going to check those measurements myself but have not got around to it. But I can tell by looking at the dummy bullet I made for .020 off jam it is at least 1/4" to 3/8". I will get real measurements. This is just an approximation by eye. Thank you so much and I will get back to you on this.

And for VLDs follow this:
1614226926119.png

Reactions: Newbie2020
Yes they are AICS mags. I was going to check those measurements myself but have not got around to it. But I can tell by looking at the dummy bullet I made for .020 off jam it is at least 1/4" to 3/8". I will get real measurements. This is just an approximation by eye. Thank you so much and I will get back to you on this.
Factory rem barrels have miles of freebore. It gives them a margin for pressure error and liability I guess.

One thing you can try to do is to go with aics mags that have no binder plate in front. That allows a little extra room for added length. What that leads to though with a factory rem700 is for the magazine length to extend beyond the bottom of the actions feed ramp. You can fix that by dremeling away the interference.
A0BB7277-289F-4234-B6C8-4D4373C8EAFE.jpeg

That’s looking up into the action through a hollowed out non binder plate mag.

☝️ ☝️ ☝️ What Spife said has helped a lot of these problems, that might be your answer. Welcome to the forum and to reloading problems (they never end). Almost all factory rifles and most cartridges you will find this problem. I've single fed a 300WM for a few years while hunting with it, annoyed the shit out me but it was where the accuracy was. Most people "customize" their magazine and some do it to their action as well to get to their desired length. Others just jump the bullet and have great luck. If I were you I would try to jump the bullet.

Aics mags? Just go based off the magazine and start moving back. What’s the length of the bullet with .02 off and length of bullet that fits mag
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Had kidney stone surgery for the second time! Then while I was in the hospital I tested positive for the CCP Virus. So I had to lock myself up for 10 days🤣 Anyway the Jam minus .020 is 2.951 and the longest I can get in the mag is 2.910. That's a lot of headway and bullets. But out of curiosity and not wanting to miss out on my best node, I am going to load all the way back from 2.951. Actually it's only about 14 different ones. I want to get a new barrel anyway😀 Good excuse anyway. Thank you for your reply and help.

☝️ ☝️ ☝️ What Spife said has helped a lot of these problems, that might be your answer. Welcome to the forum and to reloading problems (they never end). Almost all factory rifles and most cartridges you will find this problem. I've single fed a 300WM for a few years while hunting with it, annoyed the shit out me but it was where the accuracy was. Most people "customize" their magazine and some do it to their action as well to get to their desired length. Others just jump the bullet and have great luck. If I were you I would try to jump the bullet.
Thank you, but I will be long range target shooting and I cut a plastic shim to fit in the magazine right under the lips and it works great for manually loading. Always a fix and I don't mind at all manually loading. I will see what happens with my test rounds at fieriest lengths. Only about 14 different ones before I reach mag length.

Factory rem barrels have miles of freebore. It gives them a margin for pressure error and liability I guess.

One thing you can try to do is to go with aics mags that have no binder plate in front. That allows a little extra room for added length. What that leads to though with a factory rem700 is for the magazine length to extend beyond the bottom of the actions feed ramp. You can fix that by dremeling away the interference.
View attachment 7566322
That’s looking up into the action through a hollowed out non binder plate mag.
Thank you and yes I agree there is enough freeborn to park a car in there. If you read my other reply's I think I have come up with my solution. Thank you again.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Had kidney stone surgery for the second time! Then while I was in the hospital I tested positive for the CCP Virus. So I had to lock myself up for 10 days🤣 Anyway the Jam minus .020 is 2.951 and the longest I can get in the mag is 2.910. That's a lot of headway and bullets. But out of curiosity and not wanting to miss out on my best node, I am going to load all the way back from 2.951. Actually it's only about 14 different ones. I want to get a new barrel anyway😀 Good excuse anyway. Thank you for your reply and help.
Buy a factory match round and you'll see its way under 2.910. You'll see it won't make a huge difference. Just focus on shooting what you have for a while before you buy the next thing. Or buy all you want, it's America.