• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

NEED BASE HELP: Win Mod 70 PRE 64

Mattrmvpd

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2004
South Georgia
Hey guys... Here is the story.

I have a PRE 64 Winchester Model 70 (chambered in .308 and IS a LONG ACTION)

The receiver at the rear IS drilled for the iron sights and I have BOTH the front and the rear.

The TOP of the barrel and the receiver JUST after the chamber are FACTORY drilled for a base.

THE MEASURE MENTS OF THE HOLES:

Front (ON THE BARREL) Measures APPROXIMATELY 15mm (center to center)

Receiver (Just after the chamber) Measures APPROXIMATELY 20mm (center to center)

I am wanting to mount bases to this so that I can put a scope on it.

The holes ON TOP of the receiver will cause the base to sit HIGHER than the one on the barrel. I know that bases are made for these but I have had a HELL of a time finding the right ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

If I understand your question, you want to mount a Unertl style scope on your Model 70 using existing holes in the front receiver ring and barrel, like the USMC M70 Sniper Rifle shown below. Due to the different diameters of the ring and the barrel, the forward base will be somewhat higher than the rear one. The Unertl charts show a "P1" and "B70" base for the pre-64 M70 Target rifle, and I've also read that the pre-64 M70 Standard rifle uses "LV" and "C70" bases. This assumes of course that you have a factory barrel and the holes on your rifle are drilled in the standard locations (which may or may not be the case).

To purchase blocks I would point you to Steve Earle Products, who makes a broad variety of Unertl and other target-style scope blocks; all are extremely high quality with great prices Steve Earle scope blocks

You might also check with Texas Brigade Armory, who specializes in building replica USMC sniper rifles of different varieties (M70, M40, M1903, etc) and could help steer you straight with your project Texas Brigade Armory website

9753544_1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Matt

Here's a copy of the great Unertl chart, which should help you out (its certainly helped me plenty).

unertlbasechart003.jpg

Once you work out what you need, Steve Earle makes a nice range of the blocks in various heights just like the originals.
www.steveearleproducts.com

Steve supplied the blocks for my own Model 70 target project, which is underway currently:
  • C-70 (hole spacing of 1.750”), for the front block sitting forward over the heavy barrel
  • STANDARD ¼” ( hole spacing of .860”) for the rear block sitting on the receiver ring.

Just going from memory the hole centres for the front scope block on the barrel sound much shorter than is standard (for the target model at least)..
Do you know if its still the original factory barrel, and if so which contour/model?

Attachments

• unertlbasechart003.jpg
    unertlbasechart003.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
What is the sn?
Why are you using mm?
I think you have posted about this rifle several times. Listed for sale etc. if I recall correctly, it is a pre war action. Offhand stock, aftermarket barrel, iron sights etc. If so it is ABSOLUTELY NOT FACTORY DRILLED.

Sn below 66350 is pre war and in no case factory drilled. One of the issues with after factory holes is that no one did them the same. Measure in thou and post what you find, center to center. I have many bases for them. Most pre war set ups utilize only one hole on the rear for a one piece mount.

RTH,

It is the same. Buyer backed out... soo now I am going to set it up differently and shoot it. I just have to get it scoped and finding the bases has been a pain.

Barrel... has NO markings EXCEPT .308 and is approximately 25" and HEAVY all the way.

Serial # is 746XX

The tapped holes on the barrel are 15 mm apart
Receiver tapped holes are 20mm apart.

Need to measure center to center in thou. MM is a crude measurement for scope mount holes. Do you have pic of holes? I likely have a base or several that will fit.

With that sn, it should be standard hole spacing. What does safety look like?

Hopefully these pics help.

The rear tapping shows that a warne base WILL fit... but I never could find the front.

Matt.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    606.2 KB · Views: 54
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    544.8 KB · Views: 54
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    576.9 KB · Views: 47
If you are wanting bases for receiver, need to show pictures of it with everything removed. I am certain I have bases that will fit, but have lost confidence in your conceptual skills. Good luck with your project.

Might check numrich they tend to have this type of stud from time to time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk