• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Bicycle Advice

lightman

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2009
England, ar
I'm thinking of buying a bicycle and need suggestions on where to look and what to buy. This will be to ride around the neighborhood or up town, for a little exercise. Probably only a few miles a day, but I don"t want to have to work on it all of the time. I'm thinking Mountain bike style, something tough and durable. Cost is not really an issue, but I know that I don"t need or want a $5000 competition bike. Mostly something a little better than the China/Walmart line. So, what brands and stores should I check out? Thanks, Lightman

I would look at a commuter type bike. It has a nice upright position with more street style tires. Unless you are going to go offroad, get a MT Bike.

A goog commuter bike can be had for around a $1000-$1,500. But for a couple miles a day, I do not think you need to even go that high. I may get flamed, but check out performance bikes. They are the walmart of bike shops, but they do carry some good stuff. I started with FUJI 5 years ago and it is still running strong.

Go to a bike shop with at least 2 hrs and TEST ride! Take each one out for 15-20 min and see which one feels right. My last bike I spent 4 hours over 2 days and road 4-6 different bike. I had it narrowed down to 2 and had to re-ride to make sure the "fit" was right. The fit is the most important!

Have fun and get a good helmet!

I like My Trek. I think Mountain Biks are great to ride on the street. Most come with a front suspension that helps keep the road bumps from getting to your hands and wrists. If you get one that has a rear suspension as well you can figure out what that saves. I had the factory off road knobby tires replaced with some tires that have a smooth strip in the center. If it has been a few years since you have been on a bike you will be amazed at how nice the new bikes are.

I used to be a competitive triathlete and rode daily for many years. I would suggest you go to a local bike store...and by this I mean a store that sells only bikes...and ask their opinion. If possible go to more than one store. The sales staff are usually knowledgeable and will try to sell you what you need. They will let you test ride different bikes so you can see what is right for you. They will give you personalized service, build the bike for you, and you have a place to bring it back to for any repairs or warranty service. They will also "fit" the bike to you...this is very important and is the difference between getting exercise and getting injured.

I have been a roadie for over twenty years and raced for a good number of them. Buffalowinter's advice is right on the mark and I would suggest exactly the same thing. Spend time time at a reputable bike shop and test ride a number of different bikes. Go with a decent frame so you can upgrade components over time. Lots of folks start on MB then gradually acquire a desire to ride a road bike and go that route. The most important aspect of buying a bike is proper fit and good bike shop can do that for you. Best of luck.

I'll echo buffalowinter's comment. Go to a local shop with some time to spare. Ride the bikes, listen to what the sales guy has to say. My experience in the bike industry is that they want to sell you what is best for you, not just get a sale.

Thanks for the replys, everyone. Lots of good advice and some of it I had not considered. Yes, its been a few years since I've been on a bike! I'm just a middle age guy looking for a low impact way to get a little exercise. Hopefully loose a few pounds or at least maintain where I am. Its getting harder and harder! Thanks again, I'll be looking for bike stores. Lightman

No matter what you get, have the bike shop person explain about footwear and peddle clips and seat height. You may think you know how to ride a bike, but most people really dont. They then get injured, fatigued and quit.