• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Need crossbow suggestions

Maddybrook

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2019
    Michigan
    1st of all I live in Michigan and the only hunting I do is white tail archery. This season I found that my old weak ass can't draw my bow back from a seated position anymore while up in the treestand. I've decided to go the crossbow route but know virtually nothing about them. I am wondering if I should just start with a cheaper one ( barnett, center point) because my average shot is only around 30 yards in the pine tree forest I hunt anyway. However, I do not want to throw away 2 or 3 hundred dollars if the cheaper ones are complete garbage. In the firearm world I would be the first to say "you get what you pay for" and tend to buy all high end equipment. I do not plan to use this crossbow extensively so I'm struggling with some of the high end prices.
    I guess this is the bottom line, is a 2 or 3 hundred dollar crossbow good enough to practice with and hunt with or do I need to at least get into a 700-1000 price to be satisfied with the given scenarios? The Ravin price range is out of the question for now at least because I'm not sure I'm going to love it. I've heard a few people say they tried a crossbow, didn't like it and went back to their compound.
    Thanks for the help guys

I have owned over 20 crossbows over many years,after trying many brands i only use and recommend Ten Point personally.as far as price,ya 2-$300 no good.once you hit $500 you start getting better quality,i would recommend a Ten Point Titan.you can get one for $700-$750 new.it comes with a optic and everything you need,lifetime warranty.just check your states laws on draw weight and limb size for hunting.if you buy a 2-$300 one you will be looking to upgrade the following year,hope this helps

Reactions: Maddybrook
    I have owned over 20 crossbows over many years,after trying many brands i only use and recommend Ten Point personally.as far as price,ya 2-$300 no good.once you hit $500 you start getting better quality,i would recommend a Ten Point Titan.you can get one for $700-$750 new.it comes with a optic and everything you need,lifetime warranty.just check your states laws on draw weight and limb size for hunting.if you buy a 2-$300 one you will be looking to upgrade the following year,hope this helps
    Thank you for your tips and advice!

OK, I gotta admit, on Friday evening I picked up a Barnett ghost 360 on Craigslist for $200. The advice is suggesting it will be back on Craigslist next season and that's OK, I'm kinda a high end gear guy anyway. I appreciate the recommendations and will be spending this upcoming year looking to get into a better bow. For what it's worth, I've shot this ghost about 20 times to sight in this absolutely awful scope and it does seem to shoot fairly well, I was surprised considering I got; the bow, 3 bolts, rope crocker, new pack of rage broadheads and the shitty scope for 200. It should be easy to get my $ back next season and get into a nice crossbow

Ravin shoots a 3” group at 100 yards

The only experience I have is with crossbows is with a Katana 360. I got it all set up and dialed in and a few hours later, my mom killed a great bull elk with it at 75 yards.

My Ten Point Venom shoots 1” groups at 60 yards,never tried it any further.i have seen ebay & craigslist selling them around $500-600.comes with a really nice 10pt scope.keep your eyes open for one.good luck whatever you decide

I have a ten point phantom CLS I’m gonna get rid of. It’s Awsome crossbow not used much at all. Haven’t shot it in 3 yrs. whole package for 500. Cost 2000 when I bought it. Pm me if interesed

I went cheap :)
    20 to 30 yards, prone and I just can't quite keep it to 1" :(
    Bear Intense, 20 yard group, then 30 yard group.
    Crossbow-12a.jpg
    Crossbow-10.jpg

Crossbow-1.jpg