• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need easy plans for rifle plate stands..

Ring

Rifle Instructor
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
Medina, Ohio
sites.google.com
i have 4 swingers, 3, 6,8,10".. i need to build stands that will fit in a small car and easy setup and wont fall over when the place is hit...

something CHEAP to make... 2x4's would be nice...

any ideas?

Do you have access to rebar---used in concrete for steel reinforcing? You could make some rebar stakes to be driven into the ground. You could make a cross bar out of 3/4" pipe with an elbow on either end, and suspend the steel targets from it with light chain. . I made a rebar stake pounder with a piece of 2" steel pipe, a tee fitting, a 6" Pipe nipple and a Pipe cap. With this you can drive stakes into the ground quite easily, and yet pull them out without too much trouble. Rebar can be gotten at many building supply places---but likely not at Home Depot or Lowes---any concrete plant would sell it.

Would be quite sturdy, and yet easy to assemble/disassemble for transport.

wood is no good...too bulky. Re-bar is the way to go. Thread together various 90 and 45 degree pipe fittings with small sections of 1/2 inch pipe to make receivers for the re-bar ends to fit into. You can manipulate the pipe to fit your necessary angles. PM me your email and Ill send you a pick of my set up.

5/8" rebar and 2 steel 90-T fittings (Not sure the correct term, im not a plumber) are the way to go if you pack in and out. Then fix a rubber belt or hose to with a loop to your targets and slide them over the horizontal bar. Easiest and cheapest way to go. There was a thread a couple weeks back that had some good pictures of peoples set ups.
Good luck.

Here a video of a stand that I built (not my video) and it works great, you can take it apart and put it in a car.

the side out elbows are a little hard to find, I got them from a internet plumbing supply.

I made mine a little taller as I have a 16" plate is use for shooting 500-600 yards.

Good Luck
Gary

AR500 steel gong stand. - YouTube

If you don´t need (want) to do so fancy, a round steel plate hangs pretty well from a simple tri-stick, too. Just have three sticks chained together in the midle, and close them together for easy transportation.

Sheperds hooks and bungee cords are easiest for swinger targets. All you have to do is step on them to get them pushed in the ground, hang the target via bungees between two of them and your good to go.

When I ventured to CO last winter I strung up, what some have called "The worst target stand in existence" I had made two V shapes with two 2x4's. Then I took a cheap (bought at pawn shop for $2) weight lifting bar to use as a cross beam. I set it up in the snow and lashed it with paracord. Finally, I tied the firehose to each leg w/ paracord to keep it centered. I used fire hose as suspension, grade 8 fasteners and an AR500 plate.

The target stand held up well. It survived a blizzard, the weight bar was shot several times, and the wood absorbed plenty of shrapnel.

See fig. 1
d1OUsCT.jpg

When I ventured to CO last winter I strung up, what some have called "The worst target stand in existence" I had made two V shapes with two 2x4's. Then I took a cheap (bought at pawn shop for $2) weight lifting bar to use as a cross beam. I set it up in the snow and lashed it with paracord. Finally, I tied the firehose to each leg w/ paracord to keep it centered. I used fire hose as suspension, grade 8 fasteners and an AR500 plate.

The target stand held up well. It survived a blizzard, the weight bar was shot several times, and the wood absorbed plenty of shrapnel.

See fig. 1
d1OUsCT.jpg

I've been looking for a good CAD program. What's the name of the one you used above? :)

I don't know about fitting into a car, but here are some ideas

1. 3 pieces of 5 foot long rebar. Two 90 degre plumbing elbows withm6 inch nipples in each. Pound two pieces of rebar into the ground, then put the third piece of rebar between them using the pipe nipples as sockets.

2. Drill holes through 2x4's and have two 2x4's on each end. Keep the bottoms from spreading out too much by using ambience of rope or webbing. Useneithermrebar, or a piece of pipe as the cross piece to hang your targets from.

3. Buy rebar stands from JCSteel targets for around 30 per set, and connect them using rebar.

In all the above cases, the best things to hang your targets from are conveyor belt strips, or old fire hose. Jcsteel targets has plenty of conveyor belt.