• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Firing Pin / Spring upgrade Tikka T3X A1 6.5CM

Stang66

Old guy with one eye and still steady
Minuteman
May 31, 2021
Texas
Want to up grade my spring/firing pin.
I would like to improve my firing pin and spring on my 6.5 CM. I see that it rubs on the firing pin instead of staying straight.
It’s a T3 Tac A1 Tikka MDT chassis I have upgraded trigger already.
Saw a video about how this drag can create inconsistent ignition. Suggesttions on who makes a quality setup.
Just started doing some 600 yard matches and looking to make any improvements I can with this gun.
Thanks in Advance

What kind of matches and what kind of accuracy are you getting out of your rifle? Are you shooting factory barrel?

have you had any problems? Or are you just overthinking it?

keep it simple

What kind of matches and what kind of accuracy are you getting out of your rifle? Are you shooting factory barrel?
Currently it is the factory barrel. Shoot 600 yard prone. Using a Bald Eagle with precision top. Berger 140 hybrid Lapua brass…Protector Rear bag.
1702918847267.png
1702918847267.png

have you had any problems? Or are you just overthinking it?

keep it simple
I want to eliminate any variables, that are an easy fix. Once I go to a new barrel then it will be on me and my reloading skills. Also would like to have a spare firing pin assembly on hand so want to go with an upgrade.

Want to up grade my spring/firing pin.
I would like to improve my firing pin and spring on my 6.5 CM. I see that it rubs on the firing pin instead of staying straight.
It’s a T3 Tac A1 Tikka MDT chassis I have upgraded trigger already.
Saw a video about how this drag can create inconsistent ignition. Suggesttions on who makes a quality setup.
Just started doing some 600 yard matches and looking to make any improvements I can with this gun.
Thanks in Advance
Are you saying the spring rubs on firing pin when compressed and you want a pin/spring combo that does not ?

I can get 5 shots touching at 100 no problem…I have also added a EC V2 tuner

I want to eliminate any variables, that are an easy fix. Once I go to a new barrel then it will be on me and my reloading skills. Also would like to have a spare firing pin assembly on hand so want to go with an upgrade.
got it. you're overthinking it.

thanks for clarifying.

I see a lot of people that 'watch a video' and start imagining problems that aren't reality. Keep it simple. Sometimes, people desperate for views make videos on "fringe topics" because no one else has done a video on it, which gives viewers the thought of "Man, I never even thought of that!". This is because it's not a real problem....which is why no one else has done a video on it.

I've never seen or heard of a factory tikka with 'inconsistent ignition'. It's not a real problem.

thanks for clarifying.

I see a lot of people that 'watch a video' and start imagining problems that aren't reality. Keep it simple. Sometimes, people desperate for views make videos on "fringe topics" because no one else has done a video on it, which gives viewers the thought of "Man, I never even thought of that!". This is because it's not a real problem....which is why no one else has done a video on it.

I've never seen or heard of a factory tikka with 'inconsistent ignition'. It's not a real problem.
At this point in the game I am sure I over think plenty. Yes I did watch a video by Speedy Gonzales renowned bench rest shooter/Erik Cortina. They weren’t selling product but have tested the inconsistency caused by the spring dragging in the firing pin.
Pulled mine apart and saw it was doing just that. So yes I would like to eliminate that as a variable. Which has led me to my post. Most of all I need every edge I can muster. LOL

Reactions: trob
Are you saying the spring rubs on firing pin when compressed and you want a pin/spring combo that does not ?
Correct it is rubbing. When in the cocked position the inside coils are dragging in variable places on the firing pin. Can actually see places on the finish.

Changing parts in a gun that shoots introduces variables. There is a reason springs are not sized so close to the firing pin that dirt could disable the rifle.

Unless you can consistently shoot other people's rigs better than your own, do not mess with it.

OP, how do you know you're experiencing "ignition inconsistencies" related to the firing pin and spring? If you're getting SDs of 12 or less from your reloads, you're making up a problem where there isn't one, especially at 600 yards or closer. If you have no evidence that there is a problem... [shaking head, nothing left to say]

If you want a learned opinion, check with Mountain Tactical in Bozeman, MT. They specialize in Tikka performance.

Reactions: Stang66
OP, how do you know you're experiencing "ignition inconsistencies" related to the firing pin and spring? If you're getting SDs of 12 or less from your reloads, you're making up a problem where there isn't one, especially at 600 yards or closer. If you have no evidence that there is a problem... [shaking head, nothing left to say]

If you want a learned opinion, check with Mountain Tactical in Bozeman, MT. They specialize in Tikka performance.
You are correct sir. I do not have any evidence. But I do wish to have a spare firing pin/spring set. I will Test it and it may very well prove to me that I’m just not that good. I can then accept that and work on my skills and hope to improve my scores there. We all have fun shooting and we all want to win. Thank you for a straight forward answer.

thanks for clarifying.

Thanks the video I watched did exactly that. It was Speedy Gonzales “Champion Bench rest shooter” and Erik Cortina” National and World champion.” They weren’t trying to sell parts but explaining how to true and blueprint an action and what can cause inconsistency down range

• Haha
Reactions: Zilla
Actually needing a spare firing pin or spring for a bolt gun is an incredibly rare thing. You are going to need a new barrel long before that.

OP...do what makes you feel better about your rifle . Nothing wrong with a spare pin and spring either . Why would anyone find fault in that ? :confused:

I recently changed the spring in my Tikka, It was worse the the factory spring. Put the factory back in , adjusted it using factory screw, runs fine now.

I recently changed the spring in my Tikka, It was worse the the factory spring. Put the factory back in , adjusted it using factory screw, runs fine now.
Whose spring did you buy? Don’t want to go down that road?

I have cut coils off the factory spring, played with my big big box of springs in my junk drawer and Brownells stock springs. Any lighter spring was better than factory, but since trying this one, I have purchased one for each of my T3x. Crisp and less than 1lb if you want.

I have cut coils off the factory spring, played with my big big box of springs in my junk drawer and Brownells stock springs. Any lighter spring was better than factory, but since trying this one, I have purchased one for each of my T3x. Crisp and less than 1lb if you want.
Merry Christmas thank you!
I have actually put that in my trigger too, and yes it is nice and consistent. One of the guys that shoots FTR on a national level couldn’t believe a factory trigger could be that nice. He thought I was messing with him.

Reactions: Old Man with Gun
Lumleyarms usa has firing pin springs you can change out. I have a you tube video that shows you how to do it

Thanks I should have posted back to all That is who I went through….actually got a few more goodies to…I never found anyone making an after market titanium one. So will just get a spare through The OEM…