• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Need GPS Recommendation

Silver_Bullet_00

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2010
North Carolina
I need a good GPS recommendation under 300. Going to be hunting large public land area's. Wanted to see if anyone had any experience with handheld GPS's.

Re: Need GPS Recommendation

Anything Magellan, or it's parent company Ashtech, worked for me.

I have a Garmin C60x (I believe that's the model). It has the color screen and high resolution GPS unit in it. In tree cover I will routinely get a reading that's listed as +/-9ft certainty.

In wide open fields I usually will get +/-4ft certainty.

It was a gift from my girlfriend a couple of years ago, on sale I think she paid about $225 for it.

hey i have a LNIB Onix 400 with a cover, you can layer it with satellite topo's, easy to set waypoints and has XM radio(if you sub) with real time doppler radar, i would be willing to make a great deal with ya.

I like the Garmin Dakota units for cheap, or the Oregon units for a little more. They have touch screens and are very easy to use. Get a good topo map.

Just another suggestion, but this year i have been using my smartphone with GPS and Google earth, and it works very well. Also, Trimble makes a program called backpacker lite that is free that uses satellite maps also and allows you to mark points, paths, and other such things. Of course, both of these programs are dependant on having some kind of cell internet connection, so if you really get out in the boonies with no signal, its not as good of a alternative as a handheld gps.

I have a couple different Garmins, would definitely recommend them. The Oregon series is awesome, well worth the extra $$$ but the legend and the HCX work well.

I've got a Garmin Colorado 400i and have been using it for the last couple of years with no issues whatsoever. Very rugged. Very easy to use. Very accurate. I have the Garmin U.S. Road Map chip in there now, but also have the Garmin Lakemaster chip when I'm out fishing. I do not yet have the Garmin Topographic chip, but it is readily available. You can plug 'n play all of the Garmin maps just by swapping out the SDHC memory card. Very simple.

I believe if you're looking for a topographic map, you may try looking for the Garmin Colorado 400t. This model has the topographic maps and contours built right into the memory.

Garmin 60CSX. I've had it all over the West, the South, and Afghanistan. It's a fantastic, efficient system. I don't go anywhere without it. Here's the link to Amazon: Garmin 60CSX .

I just picked up a brand new Garmin Oregon 450T for $300. Looking forward to being able to use it. Using a buddies on a hunting trip they are pretty neat and definitely very handy tool.

I've also used my smartphone with google maps quite a bit and that works decent too.

I just got a Garmin Legend HCX at Cabelas for black Friday. I found free maps at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ and got a map that shows land ownership and another topo map that shows public lands. Once you figure out how to transfer the data back and forth between the GPS and Google Earth your pretty much set.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opalvom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 Garmin 60CSX </div></div>

Absolutely.

I've used mine on the trail, in the woods and on my moritcycle for navigation and street turn by turn directions.

Very accurate and versitle little unit.

Very waterproof also. Been out there mounted on my motorcycle in many downours and still works perfectly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opalvom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 Garmin 60CSX</div></div>

Best GPS I've ever owned!!

I use Garmin with a landowner chip. If you are hunting out west you might look at available chips and compatibility before making a final purchase.

Is the 60CSX worth getting over the newer (replacement) 62S?

Huntinggpsmaps recommends the 62S...

I use an Android application called Back Country Navigator, and like it enough that I don't feel compelled to buy a dedicated GPS. I wanted something that had topo maps, waypoints/tracks, overlays for public/private land boundaries, and could import/export gpx and kml. BCN can do all that. Sure, the battery life of a cellphone is going to be an issue versus a dedicated GPS but I also never go out where I need my GPS to get me home safely. Another comparison point for me was screen size - it was hard to buy a GPS when my DroidX phone has a 4.2" color screen with amazing resolution - my eyes are terrible so I need every pixel I can get.

Garmin

BUT if your in cell range the new cell phone apps work very well. My iphone is great at navigation while your in range of the towers.

Look for Garmin Oregon series if possible... there are a lot of sales going on and the Garmin is more compatible than any others. Easy to use also. The Rhino series would be nice if a couple of you get them, then you can see where your hunting partners are.

I have tried several different GPS styles over the years and definitely like the Garmin. A big screen is definitely a major plus. Just my $.02.

I am in the same boat as you. I don't know much about today's GPS so I don't know which ones have this feature and which ones work the best but I suggest you look at a GPS with a 12 parallel channel receiver so if you ever find your self in a area with heavy cover the GPS can still get a lock on. I have been told Garmin and Magellan both make good GPS with this feature. Hope this helps.

I use my android phone with an arm attatchment. Google maps gives satelite and topo. I also use a couple of other apps to track path and plot way points. Just take a couple of extra batteries. Nice thing is that if you happen to have dsta service where you hunt, you can preplan route on computer and as soon as you connect to google account on phone it updates your map. Now, I will admit that it probably is not quite as seemless as a dexicated gps, but to get the same features you have to spend in the $600 range. So if you already have the phone, try it out.

While I'm using an old Garmin Etrex, and not one of the newer much improved models, I highly recommend Garmin. I've had experience with this handheld, as well as with an uncles 60CSX, as well as some Nuvi units in the car. I can't say that I have any complaints about any of them.

i'm considering getting one too. stupid AT&T has shitty connection now out where I hunt and can't reliably use my smart phone anymore.

62s You can overlay scanned printed maps, topo maps or you own maps...very cool.