• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need guidance on what to buy primer and powder-wise

Beezer911

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2020
Midwest
Hi All,
I’m going to get into reloading sometime in the future. The calibers I want to load are 6.5 CM and .223 (accurate loads for p-dogs and targets, not mag dumps). My plan is to start buying primers and powder as I am able and then pick up the components and bullets later.

From what I’ve gathered I should be looking for H4350 and something like a CCI 200 or BR2 for 6.5 CM. Most of what I’m seeing agrees on these - I just wanted to confirm this with you guys given your experience.

I’m having a little more trouble with the .223. I know it uses small rifle primers, but the powders in the loads I’ve seen are all over the map. Is there a powder that I should start with? I will be loading for target and p-dogs. The guns will be an 18” AR with a Wylde chamber the other will be a bolt .223. Any help on what powder would be good to start with would really be appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:
You wanting to get a definitive answer to this question definitely shows a lack of experience. ;)

What I do is just pick something and try it. Just buy in 1lb increments until you find something you like that accomplishes the goals you want. When you find something you like then stack it deep.

The other problem with your question is there are so many choices it would be insane to try and list them all. Think of yourself at a Victoria Secret model meeting, but you are the only guy. Which one do you pick?

True there are some that do work in ways better than others, but it depends on what for. All of these 'secondary powders' still have a place. They are not to be ruled out all together, but rather used for a different purpose.

The .223 has endless choices for powders . Nobody can tell you what your rifle will like , Trial and error will . I shoot bolt .223/5.56 . I like H4895 ,4064, and other stick powders , some guys like spherical powder for ease of metering . Here is a quick shot of what the Hodgdon site listed for a 69 grain bullet, as you can see this will take some research.

1653737900170.png

You wanting to get a definitive answer to this question definitely shows a lack of experience. ;)

What I do is just pick something and try it. Just buy in 1lb increments until you find something you like that accomplishes the goals you want. When you find something you like then stack it deep.

The other problem with your question is there are so many choices it would be insane to try and list them all. Think of yourself at a Victoria Secret model meeting, but you are the only guy. Which one do you pick?

True there are some that do work in ways better than others, but it depends on what for. All of these 'secondary powders' still have a place. They are not to be ruled out all together, but rather used for a different purpose.
Thanks! Tells me I wasn’t nuts thinking there seemed to be no “go-to” for .223 like there seems to be for 6.5 CM.

TAC is very good for 223 and I'd be very surprised if it didn't do well for anyone for 223. If I was going to get powder stocked up in preparation, that's what I'd get. As others said, it's best to see what bullet and powder works well for you, but TAC is a very safe bet for 223.

6.5staball and H4350 are also pretty safe bets for 6.5cm.

That's the problem - I'm trying to buy powder and primers ahead of buying the equipment (I'll buy equipment as I can) so using it quickly isn't possible. Yet.
Got any reloading buddies?

If not, looks like you better find some equipment.

There’s not really an EASY way.

Reloaders don’t do this to save money, they don’t do it to save time. We reload because we want BETTER than Factory ammo at ANY cost.

I started w budget equipment and upgraded as I went along. Still use my single stage press and cheap dies.

It’s really all a financial commitment.

Got any reloading buddies?

If not, looks like you better find some equipment.

There’s not really an EASY way.

Reloaders don’t do this to save money, they don’t do it to save time. We reload because we want BETTER than Factory ammo at ANY cost.

I started w budget equipment and upgraded as I went along. Still use my single stage press and cheap dies.

It’s really all a financial commitment.
Oh ya - there's definitely no expectation to save money. Not when you factor in time and equipment costs on top of component costs.

I want to reload for 2 reasons: 1. control over the input parameters to get good accuracy and consistent speed 2. have a stash / hoard of parts so that if things go scarce I can still shoot. The only time the idea of saving money comes into the equation is when I'm justifying my purchases :). This will save us money in the long run sounds better than but honey, I can shoot tighter groups if I buy this.

Reactions: db2000
Oh ya - there's definitely no expectation to save money. Not when you factor in time and equipment costs on top of component costs.

I want to reload for 2 reasons: 1. control over the input parameters to get good accuracy and consistent speed 2. have a stash / hoard of parts so that if things go scarce I can still shoot. The only time the idea of saving money comes into the equation is when I'm justifying my purchases :). This will save us money in the long run sounds better than but honey, I can shoot tighter groups if I buy this.
Just making sure we were taking the same language and not lying to ourselves. 😉

Reactions: Beezer911
Hi All,
I’m going to get into reloading sometime in the future. The calibers I want to load are 6.5 CM and .223 (accurate loads for p-dogs and targets, not mag dumps). My plan is to start buying primers and powder as I am able and then pick up the components and bullets later.

From what I’ve gathered I should be looking for H4350 and something like a CCI 400 or BR for 6.5 CM. Most of what I’m seeing agrees on these - I just wanted to confirm this with you guys given your experience.

I’m having a little more trouble with the .223. I know it uses small rifle primers, but the powders in the loads I’ve seen are all over the map. Is there a powder that I should start with? I will be loading for target and p-dogs. The guns will be an 18” AR with a Wylde chamber the other will be a bolt .223. Any help on what powder would be good to start with would really be appreciated!

Thanks!
Unless you are planning to use small primer brass for 6.5CM, you will need large rifle primers.

Unless you are planning to use small primer brass for 6.5CM, you will need large rifle primers.
Good catch - I crossed my wires. Ya - I need large primers. I always screw up the CCI primers. My internal logic says a 200 should be smaller than a 400. I should have said 200/BR2 for the CM and 400s / BR4 for the .223.

...just be aware you may end up having different loads for you 223 AR and bolt action, best to separate the brass used in those platforms. Granted, you can find a "common" load that can be used safely for both, but neither would be the "best or better" for the individual rifle.

...just be aware you may end up having different loads for you 223 AR and bolt action, best to separate the brass used in those platforms. Granted, you can find a "common" load that can be used safely for both, but neither would be the "best or better" for the individual rifle.
Thanks! I figured I’d need different loads but I hadn’t thought about keeping the brass separate. Makes sense though given the different chambers.

If you want a powder that works in both rifles there are many choices . These plus many other powders cover both ,depending on what bullet weights you will be shooting. H 4895, IMR 4064 ,BL-C(2), CFE 223 ,Varget, etc. .