• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need Help 0n scope mounts

iron88

Private
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2014
After reading the comments by Scott @ Vortex regarding focus and parallax on the Razor Gen ll 4-27, I am a bit confused as to which mount to buy. My 6.5 has a flat 0 MOA pic. rail. I was planning on buying a spuhr one piece mount with 20 or more MOA. What MOA mount will give me an acceptable range from 100 to 1000 yards + without any of the problems as described by Scott? I know some of you use mounts with 30, 40, or more MOA, but some seem to have the problems outlined by Scott. Appreciate any help.

20 MOA rail will get you to 1000, easy peasy without problems of any kind. Put a set of Vortex or Seekins rings on it and save yourself a bundle over a Spuhr! They are great rings for around $140-150.

Really it depends on your rifle and its intended use. If is going on an ELR rifle, go with a 30-45 MOA base because most of your shooting will be in excess of 1000 yards. If the majority of your shots are going to be inside 1000 yards with the occasional hail mary, go with a 20 MOA base. You can always dial and hold the rest.

I second buying Seekins rings. I have not found a reason to spend more.

wouldn't a Spuhr one piece mount give me a better a more precise system, without having to hone, than using individual rings?

Quality rings mounted to a flat base don't need to be lapped. I guess theoretically you would be getting a "stronger" mount, but you are paying for it. I've never heard of Seekins rings breaking though so only you can decide if the added expense is worth it or not.

wouldn't a Spuhr one piece mount give me a better a more precise system, without having to hone, than using individual rings?

Seekins or Vortex rings are precision rings, no lapping required. Probably half of the long range shooting/PRS crowd use those types of rings (oh boy, I'm sure somebody is gonna let me have it, lol!). Same with ARC, Badger, NIghtforce, etc. Modern precision rings don't require lapping, welcome to the modern world!

Last edited:
Thanks. As a novice I respect your opinions. I will look at Seekins and Badger rings.

You can also look at ERA-TAC mounts very good or Really Right Stuff mount. I use both Spuhr and ERA-TAC and am happy with both. I prefer a 1 piece mount over rings have never had a scope move. On all but my ELR rifle I run 20 moa.

As much as I'd like to try a Sphur or RRS mount one of these days, I just haven't been able to justify the cost yet, as my NF, ARC, and Seekins rings have always been great with zero problems. Lots of good options out there!

Get ARC M10 rings, the best rings on the market in my opinion and a Borka PTL kit with 55, 25 inch pound kit from Borka tools... This is the way I do it and I've never had a problem.. I really don't think a one piece mount is necessary...