• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help about the new nightforce 5-25×56 ATACR™

jinxx4ever

Just Cruising
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 26, 2013
    Nebraska
    Trying to decide between a nightforce 5-25×56 ATACR™ and the Vortex HD. I read the other post on here about the comparisons on nightforce vs. vortex, but no-one mentioned the new ATACR. Does anyone have any experience with it yet? First time to buy a scope of this value. I've done some research and may be just more confused. In case you want to know what it will be used on, anywhere from a 243 (I know , overkill) to 338 lapua. info appreciated.

Go for the ATACR, it is pretty much the best deal on SFP scopes right now. You wont regret it. I have an NXS and it is awesome, the ATACR came out a few months later, if I only knew I would have waited.

I have an ATACR on a .300 WSM and love the scope. I have personally had it side by side with a NXS, as well as a US Optics 5-25, Leupold mark 4 and 6 as well as a Sightron. Glass, clarity and color, are all excellent with the ATACR. The only scope that came very close to it in optical quality was the US optics. All scopes were compared on the same day at the same time. All scopes were focused on a barn that was 1775 yards away, with quite a bit of mirage as it was in the afternoon of an 80 degree day in August. The ATACR and the US optics were the top dogs in this test, with the ATACR having a very slight edge in optical quality.

two different scopes. people too often on this site try and either compare SFP with FFP or try and compare a 1,500 scope against a 3,000k. do a little bit more research before you really need help on where you should spend your cash.
    IMHO the razor is a nice scope.

First or second focal is the key but cost hasn't got anything to do with it as there is no mention of a budget . I can only say how good the Atacr is as I have not had any experience with Vortex . To get the best out of the NF for long range you sould be thinking about getting 50-55 MOA of incline either in the rail or mount or a combination of both . You do need to look into this a lot deeper as your comparing two scopes that get the same result but just in different ways . Sorry I can't be more helpful but these scopes are not like for like .

I have been running a Vortex Razor HD 5-20X EBR-2B reticle scope with 10 mil per turn turret in a Spuhr 20 MOA mount with level on my DTA SRS A1 with 260, 308 & 338 LM barrel conversions and find it to be great! As mentioned above, you're talking FFP vs. SFP, which makes a difference in being able to range objects at unknown distances. The glass is as good as on my 2 March scopes 3-24 & 5-40X with FML-1 mil/mil reticles. So far the Vortex has not disappointed-rugged on 338 with bright clear glass with good tracking. The only issue I've had is the illumination only works very intermittently, but I really never use it as I do not hunt. All my scopes are mil/mil with 0.1 mil adjustments and FFP, except the March 5-40 which has 0.05 mil clicks, which can be confusing at times. I have been shooting LR for about 1.5 years and have not yet shot more than 1000 yards.

I have a Nightforce BEAST on order for my MRAD 338 LM, which will also have 0.1 mil clicks. You really need to decide how you will be shooting-known or unknown distances as well as minimum and maximum ranges. Read and reread the Optics Selection Sticky here several times and then read all the reviews you can find on your final scope selections. Many new options available since that Optics Selection Sticky was started! No one scope will work in every situation perfectly, but buying a quality scope will give you much more flexibility in your shooting. Optics are all very subjective depending on your age and vision. I'm 65 and need all the help I can get at long distances (magnification and TargetCam). Don't need to buy a spotting scope. Also hard in most places to find places to shoot >500 yards with regularity. Yesterday I and 2 friends were hitting 12" steel diamond easily at 550 yards with the DTA 30 and Vortex. Only 1.8 mil elevation with scope on 10.5X at 4 degree incline and 90 degree temp. Mirage was moderate at 20X, which is one problem with high magnification scopes, but just dial magnification down and with FFP you can still range any target at any magnification. One of my friends had never fired a rifle before, but was dead on at 550 yards, which is slightly greater than 2 MOA and pretty easy when shooting a 1/2 MOA bolt rifle.

My son and I have a 500 yard 60 round Prone Match tomorrow and will been using that same DTA 308 conversion and expect to do pretty well, if wind cooperates. I you have a good rifle, you can do well and have lots of fun will almost any scope after lots of practice! Practice and consistency is really your friend in this sport. Just don't be changing things like ammo, altitude or large temperature/ humidity factors. Put together a package which will best suit your needs and get out and shoot as much as you can. It's a steep learning curve, but very gratifying in the end.

My DTA SRS A1 was over a $12,000 package, but perfect for me and my son. I have a second on order. That being said, you can accomplish the same results with a $3000-4000 set up, if you choose wisely. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited:
    I checked out PeterPHWS 's ATACR today , very bright image and the extra 3x mag over my 5.5-22x50mm NXS made the MOAR ret look totally different . I want one !

I had the NF, a shooting pal has the Razor. I'd go for that although I like the NF moa with moar a lot better. In the 5x25 price range of the NF though there are not many options. If price was not an issue personally I would go with the razor. If cost is an issue the atacr is fine. "Better" is subjective be advised.
    I like the nf controls and knobs more than the razor. But the razor is HD. You notice it. I did. Being ffp I found less issues with changing magnification and losing focus or what not. My big complaint is the nf was a bit too picky with clarity/paralax balance for me. Overall it seemed temperamental but it is likely that way be design or function. It just did not fit my needs is all.

But that is why they make chocolate and vanilla. Different folks have different experiences and expectations. Many love the atacr but so to for every other scope. Most people are convinced the scope they have is the best. I am on my third scope in 8 months. I probably won't like any. About to test new sb tomorow.

If it were me for my needs given that budget size, I'd go razor given what I know now. I am quite certain you will love the atac though and not regret it. Controls are GREAT and the glass and clarity is really good. To me it seemed temperamental for closer range shooting is all. Atacr is currently the bell of the ball after all, both solid choices either way.

But I'd give the nod to the razor. Both better than most of the rest. No "bad" choice you have there!

Best of luck!

Last edited:
    I have had a issue with my NF ATACR mostly low light focus problems not too many people have had this problem, hopefully NF is taking care of it, but the moar reticle is great,I have a NF NXS 5.5-22x56 it is flawless and a good bit less than the ATACR, I have full confidence in NF, I also have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x56 on a 6.5/284 Norma for hunting and it is one of the best for under $1000. If it is just for hunting second focal plane is all you need. If money is no object go for the NF ATACR , just make sure it has been made in the last few months and not some of the first batch, all of the bugs or kinks or bad luck of draw won't come into effect. NF makes a excellent scope that will hold its resale value over a high end Vortex, but that's my opinion everybody has one.